Gigabit Switch Buffering...

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'll try and keep this simple. It is with regards to streaming from 2x 3TB WD Mybooklive NAS to Kodi (XBMC).

My network was;
VirginMedia Superhub 2.0, located upstairs
cat5e cable directly from Superhub 2.0 leading downstairs, directly in to my Acer Revo RL70 running Kodi Helix RC on OpenELEC.
This setup works fine, I can stream MKV DTS 1080p files no issue at all. I even have caching enabled which loads well in front of what is needed.

My network is now;
VirginMedia Superhub 2.0, located upstairs
cat5e cable directly from Superhub 2.0 leading downstairs, directly in to a TRENDnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Metal Desktop Switch, then via Duronic CAT6a in to Acer Revo RL70 running Kodi Helix RC on OpenELEC.
This setup buffers just seconds after launching a movie. I have tried swapping ports on the switch. Removing the switch from the network and going back to my original setup works a charm.

Is there anything immediately apparent to the networking pros? I appreciate I'm using CAT6a between switch and HTPC, but as I understand it its backwards compatible.

Associate
Try another patch lead from switch to Revo, if you are not changing anything at the other end each time you test, and the only difference is adding the switch and patch lead, then start with the patch lead, are you connecting anything else to the switch? Or is it just the connection from the superhub and the Revo?

If changing the patch lead makes no difference then I would say the switch is faulty.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help guys, tried the suggestions and still no joy.

I've decided it must be either the switch or perhaps a failing on the cat5e cable itself maybe?

I've just ordered a NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch, going to give that a try. Then if not, I can only imagine the cable is at fault.

Is it known for a cat5e to work directly but be shoddy went sent in to a switch? I'm wondering if the aerial man who wire it up and crimped it for me has maybe got a wire wrong when crimping?

Associate
OP
Have you tried setting your port speeds and duplex manually on the Revo?

Wouldn't know where to begin mate, it's not running an OS, just OpenELEC. Or would it be done through the BIOS?

I just don't understand how a direct connection works at full speed and via a switch doesn't?

APM

APM

Associate
did you try unplugging the switch form the mains to discharge any static build up on it?

Or a ground for the switch?

Soldato
Wouldn't know where to begin mate, it's not running an OS, just OpenELEC. Or would it be done through the BIOS?

I just don't understand how a direct connection works at full speed and via a switch doesn't?

The nic negotiates for link speed with whatever is at the other end of the cable, in this case the switch. Your PS4 seems fine, so it may be some incompatibility between the specific model of switch and the nic in your revo.

Openelec seems to have a decent wiki.

Connect to it via SSH from another computer:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenELEC_FAQ#How_do_i_use_SSH.3F

Then follow this guide:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Configuring_Gigabit_Ethernet

Associate
OP
Thanks again everyone.

Good news - the Netgear 8 port switch works! For how long I dont know, but it works lol

XBMC is buffering ahead at 80mb according to the codec info thingy from the local drives. PS4 download test showing 50mb-70mb on my 120mb connection, though appreciate PSN is the limiting factor there.

What is the max theoretical rate of 10/100 and 10/100/1000 respectively on local network?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So 8.5mbs / 125mbs respectively. Good tip thanks!

So pushing my luck, does anyone know what mbs is generally needed to stream as follows;

• 1080P Bluray MKV with DTS
  • Bluray ISO (uncompressed)
  • Full 4K content

Soldato
No.

10Mbps = 1.25MBps
100Mbps = 12.5MBps
1000Mbps = 125MBps

It matters whether the 'b' is lowercase or uppercase. Lowercase = bits, uppercase = bytes.

I'm not sure about 4K but most streaming only needs a 100Mbps connection.

Back
Top Bottom