ESXI help with raid

Associate
Hi

i have the motherboard - GA-H87-HD3 i cant seem to find if the motherboard is a software raid or hardware.

I am trying to set up ESXI at home and i wanted to know why it keeps showing all my drivers on ESXI even tho in the raid config it comes up with 2x4tb. In esxi it comes up with 4 x 2tb hard drives ( trying to get raid 10 to work with esxi)

Anyone know where am going wrong or if i just need to buy a hardware raid controller?

Thanks
Dave

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Motherboard RAID is never true hardware RAID (for the pedants: except on proper server motherboards). Software RAID is not supported by ESXi in any shape or form.

Man of Honour
Hi,

Will this Silverstone PCI Express Card w/ 8x SAS/SATA ports work on the motherboard i have?

Thanks
Dave

It'll work in your motherboard fine but its as gamble as to whether ESXI will have the drivers for

I'd recommend picking up a "proper" enterprise grade RAID card.

Something like a PERC 6/i can be had cheap enough will do RAID10 and work perfectly under ESXI

Soldato
Take note that if you're using the Perc6 on an Intel chip set motherboard, you'll need to block the smbus pcie pin with tape.
Also, make sure to cut all the power to your board when installing it or it might not be detected at POST ( tore my hair out over this one for a while)
You'll also want to try and get a pci back plate for it so it can be secured in ATX cases.

Once it's all up and running they are great.

Back
Top Bottom