• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Jump from 1080p to 1440p or 2160p?

Associate
Maybe someone with a 4k monitor can try it out and report how well they look with non native resolutions

Using 1080 scaling is fine , some games you cant tell the difference between that and 4k.
You don't necessarily need a 295x2 to run 4k at 60 fps, it all depends upon the game.

Associate
How about a B grade swift? I’ve seen posts from a couple of people who’ve brought them and they have had zero issues and couldn’t even tell why they were in the B grade section.

£479 for a 27” 1440p, gsync, 144hz 1ms monitor, still comes with 90 day warranty with OCUK and then the normal ASUS warranty.

Should be worth some consideration, and because it has gsync you won’t need as much gpu grunt to get a smooth gaming experience out of it.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-764-AS&groupid=595&catid=670

Caporegime
Maybe someone with a 4k monitor can try it out and report how well they look with non native resolutions

Using 1080 scaling is fine , some games you cant tell the difference between that and 4k.
You don't necessarily need a 295x2 to run 4k at 60 fps, it all depends upon the game.

1080p looks good on my 58" 4k TV....I have an Xbox One and PS4 and they look great.

Associate
I have a Asus PB287Q 4K monitor (3ft away on my desk). 1440p is perfectly fine but 1080p is slightly pixelated (stretched) in games even though a 28 inch monitor.

Personal opinion ofcourse.

The monitor is a 60hz 1ms (on displayport) with 157ppi and picture quality is very good.

It's going to get some getting use to as the desktop real-estate is very big (running 4K) and you will need to be using 150-175% in chrome to read websites.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Also remember having a 4k monitor doesn’t mean yo have to play at 4k. You could downscale the game to 1440p and game away. Whilst also enjoying the 4k res on the desktop.

Exactly... Like right now I am having to play Elite: Dangerous at 1440p. But then I have many games I can play 4k no problem.

Soon when the Radeon 390 is out I will be able to play Elite 4k easily, though some games will still struggle at 4k even with such a card, I just play those at 1440p :)

Don't see the point of limiting yourself. Get the new tech, 1600p has been out for years, I had one 5+ years ago. Time for 4k :D

Associate
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-099-BQ

Forget about resolution and PPI, static contrast ratio will make literally everything look better. This monitor sports around 2500:1, where mostly everything else is around 1000:1. (and increasing static contrast ratio requires 0% more GPU power! :p)

It's not a perfect monitor, but OCUK has had it on sale for £400-450 and I've seen it elsewhere cheaper. But the contrast ratio and size are just great. Input lag is decent using display port and the high overdrive setting.

I remember watching the blu ray of Aliens with my girlfriend on this a little while after I bought it and we were gobsmacked that the blacks in the space scenes actually almost looked black!

Unfortunately monitors are still a bucket of compromises, but I was looking for a monitor for like 2 years before the BL3200 came along and offered a package I was happy with.

Associate
OP
How about a B grade swift? I’ve seen posts from a couple of people who’ve brought them and they have had zero issues and couldn’t even tell why they were in the B grade section.

£479 for a 27” 1440p, gsync, 144hz 1ms monitor, still comes with 90 day warranty with OCUK and then the normal ASUS warranty.

Should be worth some consideration, and because it has gsync you won’t need as much gpu grunt to get a smooth gaming experience out of it.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-764-AS&groupid=595&catid=670

The swift looks awesome indeed, a steep price tag but definitely has top specs, but I'm still debating between 1440p and a 4k monitor, if I were to get a 1440p it would most likely be that one!

I have a Asus PB287Q 4K monitor (3ft away on my desk). 1440p is perfectly fine but 1080p is slightly pixelated (stretched) in games even though a 28 inch monitor.

Personal opinion ofcourse.

The monitor is a 60hz 1ms (on displayport) with 157ppi and picture quality is very good.

It's going to get some getting use to as the desktop real-estate is very big (running 4K) and you will need to be using 150-175% in chrome to read websites.

So 1440p gaming on that 4k monitor is actually fairly decent and playable? No weird visuals or anything?

Asus PB287Q is what I was looking at for a 4k monitor, that and a Samsung U28D590.

How's the monitor in general? very tempted by this one, would love some feedback mate

Also remember having a 4k monitor doesn’t mean yo have to play at 4k. You could downscale the game to 1440p and game away. Whilst also enjoying the 4k res on the desktop.

Indeed, 1440p for now then upgrade GPU's in a year or two and game at 4k

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-099-BQ

Forget about resolution and PPI, static contrast ratio will make literally everything look better. This monitor sports around 2500:1, where mostly everything else is around 1000:1. (and increasing static contrast ratio requires 0% more GPU power! :p)

It's not a perfect monitor, but OCUK has had it on sale for £400-450 and I've seen it elsewhere cheaper. But the contrast ratio and size are just great. Input lag is decent using display port and the high overdrive setting.

I remember watching the blu ray of Aliens with my girlfriend on this a little while after I bought it and we were gobsmacked that the blacks in the space scenes actually almost looked black!

Unfortunately monitors are still a bucket of compromises, but I was looking for a monitor for like 2 years before the BL3200 came along and offered a package I was happy with.

That's the same price as the 4k monitors I've mentioned though :p

I'll have a look around for some reviews on it just incase

Exactly... Like right now I am having to play Elite: Dangerous at 1440p. But then I have many games I can play 4k no problem.

Soon when the Radeon 390 is out I will be able to play Elite 4k easily, though some games will still struggle at 4k even with such a card, I just play those at 1440p :)

Don't see the point of limiting yourself. Get the new tech, 1600p has been out for years, I had one 5+ years ago. Time for 4k :D

That's the way I'm looking at it. 1440p isn't new at all, and I always like to have the latest technology so I know I'll end up regretting purchasing a 1440p monitors when 4k ones are out!

Plus it'll be a hassle selling the monitor too and then buying a 4k monitor after. So it just saves a lot of time and effort by buying a 4k one now and changing the resolution when needed.

Soldato
You gotta be smart about it. Look at what games you play the most and then hunt down some benchmarks. I look at what I play the most and you could easily get 4K @ 60fps with even meh cards like the 285 (Smite, DotA 2, Path of Exile, CS:GO, etc.) And secondly, some games just run like **** regardless of the hardware, is it really worth investing money for them? Or ones that you'll play for 5 hours and be done with? I look at AC: Unity and there's no point in even playing it atm.

I was in a predicament similar to yours but my conclusion was: 1440p is not worth the jump to unless you want the highest resolution 144hz monitors (and I just didn't care for that for the games I play). And for the games I play I don't really need to upgrade anything else to get good performance at 4k. And lastly, I don't mind lowering settings for games I'll play for a few hours only to see the story. So 4K it was. I would say though that I think Freesync/Gsync is a game changer for 4K and you should definitely look at something with them (Gsync 4K is out, Freesync not yet).

Associate
OP
You gotta be smart about it. Look at what games you play the most and then hunt down some benchmarks. I look at what I play the most and you could easily get 4K @ 60fps with even meh cards like the 285 (Smite, DotA 2, Path of Exile, CS:GO, etc.) And secondly, some games just run like **** regardless of the hardware, is it really worth investing money for them? Or ones that you'll play for 5 hours and be done with? I look at AC: Unity and there's no point in even playing it atm.

I was in a predicament similar to yours but my conclusion was: 1440p is not worth the jump to unless you want the highest resolution 144hz monitors (and I just didn't care for that for the games I play). And for the games I play I don't really need to upgrade anything else to get good performance at 4k. And lastly, I don't mind lowering settings for games I'll play for a few hours only to see the story. So 4K it was. I would say though that I think Freesync/Gsync is a game changer for 4K and you should definitely look at something with them (Gsync 4K is out, Freesync not yet).

To be fair I haven't played PC games in a while due to simply not being able too. But I usually play FPS games and some MMORPG's and the odd RTS.

I too don't mind lowering settings, I mean at 4k, lowering some settings shouldn't hinder the quality of visuals since the resolution is so high right? So a game at high settings but running at 4k should look awesome?

I have read a bit about freesync/gsync, am I right in thinking that because of this technology (and from what people have said) that as long as the game is running at more than 30FPS than the game will be smooth and there will be no tearing due to the freesync/gsync?

So I could maybe run some 4k games at high settings with around 30-40FPS but still be happy with the performance of the game due to freesync/gsync? So that would mean I can get away with not having to buy a Titanx :D

Associate
The Asus PB287Q 4K monitor is pretty good in all aspects.

You should be running display port to get 60hz though. There's a setting you have to change on the monitor but that's a one off thing that takes a few seconds.

The only problem you will find is browsing the internet if your running 4K on the desktop (you have to zoom in to 150-175%).

1440p is perfectly fine with no anomalies. You might not even notice the difference and get better FPS if your GPU isn't able to handle 4K.

1440p and 4K on low looks a lot better than 1080p on High-Ultra on most games. That has a lot to do with the stretching to fit the screen imo. It's like playing Minecraft :p.

I will never go back to 1080p EVER !

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The Asus PB287Q 4K monitor is pretty good in all aspects.

You should be running display port to get 60hz though. There's a setting you have to change on the monitor but that's a one off thing that takes a few seconds.

The only problem you will find is browsing the internet if your running 4K on the desktop (you have to zoom in to 150-175%).

1440p is perfectly fine with no anomalies. You might not even notice the difference and get better FPS if your GPU isn't able to handle 4K.

1440p and 4K on low looks a lot better than 1080p on High-Ultra on most games. That has a lot to do with the stretching to fit the screen imo. It's like playing Minecraft :p.

I will never go back to 1080p EVER !

My monitor is always running at native 4k (100% scaling), I just set my browser and mail client to run at 150%, sorted. As for games you change resolution from within the games options :D

Last edited:
Associate
That's the same price as the 4k monitors I've mentioned though :p

I'll have a look around for some reviews on it just incase

Do any of the monitors you've mentioned have anything other than 1000:1? To me, that is worth a lot more than 4k :p

The TFTCentral review basically tells you everything, though I think the input lag is less than the review suggests; apparently using display port with the monitor slightly lowers lag, and running the overdrive on the premium setting pulls it down a bit (don't notice artifacting too often).

Permabanned
It's gotta be 1440p, Your not doing 4k on any single card except a Titan X and certainly not in the 300 pound price range.

I'm moving up to either a 21:9 2560x1080 or a 16:9 2560x1440 this year I just want to include one of the sync brothers so until we know more on that side of things I'm waiting.

Soldato
Hi, my tuppence worth, 4K is great, I have a 290 and always have my desktop at 4K, for gaming it depends on the game ie Fallout 3/ NV and Dishonored all play fine at 4K, older games obviously but they look great anyway. Alien Isolation can play at 4K, depends whats happening, looks great at 1440p as well though. Currently hammering Far Cry 4 at 1440p on high settings (gobsmacked at how good this looks on high at 4K and 1440p) can do 4K on Far Cry but if a lot going on then it struggles. I'm lucky really as I don't care about fps as long as the game is smooth so 60Hz @ 4K or 1440p is fine with me. My AOC 28" 4K TN monitor is easily the best monitor I've ever had and it scales 1440p and 1080p great in my opinion. The only thing I would say is when gaming at higher res make sure you have excellent cooling, especially 4K, those cards get hot hot hot. My next graphics card will probably be the 390X (depends how much and how powerful) as long as it does 4K @ 60Hz and is smooth in Far Cry 4, oh and has 6 or 8Gb vram, if not then I'll wait for the next gen. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom