4k vs 1080p TV's

Soldato
I have a panasonic zt65 - last ever plasma. I like to upgrade every year or two and am considering going 4k.

I plan to do some pc gaming as well as movies. Am just trying to workout how much of a leap I will get vs all the added cost of buying Titan graphics cards etc

Anyone done the 4k leap and share their thoughts?

:)

Man of Honour
The ZT is a hard act to follow. Everything south of £3000-£4000 in domestic TV is LED. The benefits of the extra resolution will come with a package of shortcomings because of LED back-lighting and LCD screen technology compared to plasma.

The Panasonic AX802/902 have very low lag.

Soldato
Have to agree with the above. There really isn't anything that comes close to a ZT and probably won't be for at least another couple of years. To be frank, there isn't even much in the way of 4k content to make that sort of investment worth thinking about either.

Soldato
I just upgraded my 55" Sony 1080p to a 55" Sony 4k set and after a day it's going back. Sat 4-5 feet back I see no big difference and to my eyes anyway anything on Netflix 4k looks better at 1080p on the older Sony. As well as the obvious gaming lag even when set up its really in my opinion not worth going 4k at the moment.

Your Panasonic plasma is just about as good as you will get PQ wise no LCD even 4k will look as good. Wait for 4k OLEDS to come down in price and as mentioned 4k Blu Ray with decent bit rate unlike the compressed Netflix streams.

Permabanned
mooglys: Calibrate it.

I have a sammy 55hu8500 which is better than my Panny 50GT50 plasma and almost as good as my sadly deceased Pioneer Kuro.

OP: If you've already got a Panny ZT65 then keep it, it isn't worth the outlay for a new TV yet, not with that screen.

V F

V F

Soldato
How did you come to that conclusion, Castiel. Unless, are you referring to peak white?

The UE55HU8500 MLL is over twice as high as your GT.

Black Level & Contrast Performance
After pegging peak luminance to our usual target of 120 cd/m2, the native black level (i.e. with [Smart LED] disabled) on our Samsung UE55HU8500 review unit measured 0.069 cd/m2 on both a full-field video black signal with auto-dimming defeated by pressing the [INFO] button, and a 4×4 ANSI checkerboard pattern. While higher than the circa-0.05 cd/m2 we’ve seen on Samsung’s SPVA panels in recent years, the slightly brighter blacks were perhaps understandable given the complicated warping process needed to produce a curved screen, and in any case bettered every IPS LCD television we’ve reviewed.

[Smart LED] activates the pseudo-local dimming system (we use the prefix “pseudo” because technically true local dimming is only possible on full-array, direct-lit LED LCDs) on the HU8500 edge LED TV, which comes in 3 strengths: “Low“, “Standard” and “High“. All three deepened ANSI black level to 0.041 cd/m2; and full-screen black (auto-dimming defeated) to 0.008 cd/m2, 0.002 cd/m2 and 0.0017 cd/m2 respectively (from the “Low” to “High” settings).

The [Smart LED] “Standard” and “High” positions obscured shadow detail and altered gamma too much for our liking, leaving [Smart LED] “Low” as our preferred option. Some luminance fluctuations remained visible during challenging low-APL scenes (for example as Batman emerges from the shadows to meet Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises – timecode 01:10:04), but they were infrequent and worth the compromise to improve black-level response.

For some strange reason, engaging [Cinema Black] darkened ONLY the bottom letterbox bar in scope ratio films on our review unit – we’re not sure if it’s a sample-specific quirk or a model-wide phenomenon. In any case, we detected no global luminance shifts (unlike certain iterations of [Cinema Black]), so we’d happily leave the option enabled to not only better blend the black letterbox bars to the bezel, but also conceal any backlight unevenness.

Calibrated black level (ANSI checkerboard) 0.041 cd/m2 with [Smart LED] “Low“
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55hu8500-201404163710.htm

VS

Panasonic TX-P50GT50B Performance

Full-screen black on the Panasonic TX-P50GT50 measured at 0.010 cd/m2, which is visibly the same as the 0.009 cd/m2 we measured from the ST50 and VT50. This means that the Viera GT50 plasma TV produces one of the deepest black levels on the market.

As usual, we also tested with the ANSI checkerboard pattern, where the middle black patch surrounded by full-white boxes measured 0.013 cd/m2, barely higher than the full-screen result.

Black level is hugely important to any display. Darker blacks mean that dark scenes will appear with more realism and “pop”, and colours will appear more saturated, vibrant, and realistic. It’s also important to know that black level can be faked by screens with lesser abilities in this area. For example, nearly all LED LCD TVs we’ve seen shut the light source off when a black screen is input – literally shutting out the lights to fake a darker picture. We say “fake” because this trick is of no use whatsoever for watching anything other than a black screen. In fact, pressing PAUSE on your disc player to display its on-screen display is usually enough to get these LED LCDs to light up again, revealing their true dark performance. None of the Panasonic plasma TVs do this – they keep the screen running even with a fully dark video input.

Calibrated black level (ANSI checkerboard) 0.013 cd/m2

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50gt50b-p50gt50-201205091797.htm

Permabanned
Black level isn't the be all and end all of picture quality. Also, the hdtv test was on a pre-updated set...I think it might say so, or at least if you check the av forums it does. The samsung has had a few firmware updates which have significantly improved the PQ and motion including black levels.

I still have both TVs and the samsung is better, it's sharper, brighter and has better overall contrast. The downsides are backlight is a bit iffy sometimes, and motion in football isn't quite as good...but then that's going to be inherent in the technology.

If there were Panasonic 4k curved plasmas, I would have bought one...there isn't so the hu8500 was the best on the market at the time.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I will replace my 60" Pioneer Kuro when it dies or when I feel the 4k sets offer better value. There's no way I'd jump "just because".

Soldato
Just had the LG 55" OLED screen delivered this morning and already I can honestly say it is leagues better than the Sony 4k it's another level tbh.

Even though it's only 1080p the PQ is just stunning the blacks are just insane. Dark scenes are inky black but vibrant as well.

I have not set it up yet or given it a full testing but so far I'm blown away and I'm as immpressed as I was with my ZT60 if not a little more....

Soldato
Just had the LG 55" OLED screen delivered this morning and already I can honestly say it is leagues better than the Sony 4k it's another level tbh.

Even though it's only 1080p the PQ is just stunning the blacks are just insane. Dark scenes are inky black but vibrant as well.

I have not set it up yet or given it a full testing but so far I'm blown away and I'm as immpressed as I was with my ZT60 if not a little more....

Which LG model is this?

V F

V F

Soldato
Black level isn't the be all and end all of picture quality. Also, the hdtv test was on a pre-updated set...I think it might say so, or at least if you check the av forums it does. The samsung has had a few firmware updates which have significantly improved the PQ and motion including black levels.

I still have both TVs and the samsung is better, it's sharper, brighter and has better overall contrast. The downsides are backlight is a bit iffy sometimes, and motion in football isn't quite as good...but then that's going to be inherent in the technology.

If there were Panasonic 4k curved plasmas, I would have bought one...there isn't so the hu8500 was the best on the market at the time.

Never said it was but its the reason its the foundation to fantastic picture quality if one has everything else. After all, low MLL gives you your high contrast ratio. Giving extreme depth like MOOGLEYS OLED painted blacks. Including dark colours.

When did you get the ZT?

Soldato
nice moogleys

some people have noted a kind of vignetting on the LG OLED screen, like a darkness, some say green on the edges in white scenes, have you noticed such a thing?

wish there was a competitor to LG OLED to drive price down, their new 4k 55'' set is £3,700!

I'm still happy at 1080, 4k is currently a farce

Soldato
The colour seems ok so far but I am having some motion issues. Panning shots seem to suffer from micro stutter. I'm going to have a better play later with the settings.

Back
Top Bottom