Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
So it may be slightly outside the lines of this thread, but I got myself a couple of Wagyu burgers from Turner & George for the weekend. I'll be cooking them on the BBQ, and I have high hopes that they will be very good.
How did they turn out? I've not done a T&G order for ages.

Very good. Nice strong flavour with plenty of fat in them adding to the flavour and keeping them juicy. They weren't the main meat of the meal, I just wanted to see what they tasted like so I didn't have them as a burger, but with a nice brioche bun and toppings I'm sure they would have been great. Their basic Black Label burgers are really good, so it would be interesting to compare and see if the Wagyu is worth the extra £.

The main meat was a piece of T&G beef fillet, which I sliced into 250g chunks, seasoned and then BBQ'd, and then ate 2 of them :). So soft and beautiful, I may have to get more for this weekend.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Went to Bryon's on Friday, the one in Hoxton.

Just their signature Byron burger with their own brand beer.

AvXQcKQl.jpg

First thing that is immediate, it's not hot, the patty is warm, it's like they plated it and not served for about 5mins. Taste wise it's okay, better than a whopper but not my favourite. The gherkin is also not cruncy enough. Fries is standard Maccy D type, nothing to shout home about. The bacon also was the biggest flavour in the burger too. It overwhelmed the beef and basically all I can taste is the bacon.

The burger gets 7.5/10. Would be 8/10 if it was hot off the grill.

Soldato
Their Byron Lager is actually made by Camden Town Brewery...

And don't go for the signature one, go for the special of Le Smokey....mmmm....

Soldato
I think fergburger has come up in this thread before and the general consensus is that it wins over everything. I've been and it was stupidly awesome. Loved it.

Soldato
Don't get your hopes up, there are many better burger places out there. My favourite place so far in the UK is still Five Bones in Southampton. Second happens to be my local one, luckily for me.

It is more the novelty of having somewhere different in Milton Keynes. We've had GBK for ages and Byron opened a year or so ago.

Everything else is the chains; there must be about 5 or 6 Nandos and Pizza Express. A bunch of Bella Italia, Frankie & Benny's, two TGIs, two Giraffes. Its nonsense.
Such a shame that in the centre only big chains can survive because of whatever they charge in rent.

Associate
imo no outside eatery comes close to the quality and value for money of ordering minced forerib (keep the fat in) from your local butcher for the ultimate burger....eaten on day of mincing).

Needs a generous helping of salt n pepper and herbs (tyme / parsely ) and a very hot griddle pan or charcoal bbq (gas bbq probably wont be hot enough). But other than that you can experiment wildly .....its difficult to go wrong.
if you havent tried making your own...your missing out (in taste and bank balance)...

Man of Honour
Went to Patty & Bun with Mr Feek last week for a Smokey Robinson and some of their great chips before a BBC recording session.

Still one of my favourite places to go eat. The food in Meatliquor is also great, I'm just not a fan of the building. Both are pretty handy for the BBC though. Along with a Byron even closer.

Soldato
Went to Bryon's on Friday, the one in Hoxton.

Just their signature Byron burger with their own brand beer.

AvXQcKQl.jpg

First thing that is immediate, it's not hot, the patty is warm, it's like they plated it and not served for about 5mins. Taste wise it's okay, better than a whopper but not my favourite. The gherkin is also not cruncy enough. Fries is standard Maccy D type, nothing to shout home about. The bacon also was the biggest flavour in the burger too. It overwhelmed the beef and basically all I can taste is the bacon.

The burger gets 7.5/10. Would be 8/10 if it was hot off the grill.

were going to byron on saturday as part of my mates stag do in soho, hope it's good. that said, we'll be slaughtered by that time after the comedy cafe so i probably won't notice.

Soldato
were going to byron on saturday as part of my mates stag do in soho, hope it's good. that said, we'll be slaughtered by that time after the comedy cafe so i probably won't notice.

its ok, fairly mainstream burgers imo but decent ones at that. Its no P&B but then its miles ahead of BK etc.

Have fun

Back
Top Bottom