The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
Re: monitor stand, I found it a little too high at the upper areas of the screen, kept looking up to see top of monitor - it's big! Like my monitors low to the desk due to way I sit, now it's perfect for me. Also matches a second monitor next to it. Oh, and I'm a control freak :D

Associate
'SmartResponse' will add ghosting

Clearly, but ghosting is still a problem even with it turned off.

Addendum: I'm beginning to think it may be as much a GPU problem, as I have problems playing certain video file types now in SST that I didn't in MST, where the frame rate is far lower than can be explained by ghosting - likewise moving a browser window around seems far slower than moving a media player window around. Might try a graphics driver update and if no joy, might try sticking an AMD card back in the PC - having eliminated the only reason I was forced to ditch AMD (no functional MST support) perhaps that'll prove a better option? <shrugs>

Last edited:
Associate
Google search "MDP2DPMM6" can be had for a bit more that the cost of a cheap mini adaptor!

I finally got one of these cables, "The system has detected a link failure" etc...

So, I click on help and it tells me to:

"Navigate to the Information > DisplayPort Diagnostics page."

But doesn't tell me where to start navigating from!

This is getting annoying now, I simply don't know how to diagnose the problem :(

Caporegime
I finally got one of these cables, "The system has detected a link failure" etc...

So, I click on help and it tells me to:

"Navigate to the Information > DisplayPort Diagnostics page."

But doesn't tell me where to start navigating from!

This is getting annoying now, I simply don't know how to diagnose the problem :(

I think almost everyone has this issue to a certain extent. The only solution I've found is to leave the monitor in Sleep mode and it doesn't do it...

Associate
I'm suspecting the gfx card is unhappy, it's a 7850 which will be 2 years old in a few days time. I am seeing the screen 'blink' occasionally and have now narrowed this down to when the card changes speed. This has only started happening now that I've moved to displayport, DVI and HDMI were fine.

Associate
Mine came Monday, set it up last night.
Wow! Such a difference going from a 24" 1920x1200 to this, huge amount of space. My icons suddenly seemed a little lost all the way over there...

Looks amazing in Elite Dangerous, even playing at 1920x1080 scaled up to keep my old GTX670 from chugging - new card next on the list. Playing in a window is fine too though, all that extra space can be used for trading apps and a couple of web pages :)

Very pleased.

On a side note, this is my first display port connection - miss the ruggedness of a screwed in DVI! - was expecting the DP cable to be thinner but it's probably thicker than the DVI it replaced, had to rotate and flex it a little to get the kink out that wanted to pull it out the back of the PC.

EDIT: Anyone know of an external DTV box with "smart" features, catchup/streaming services etc. - seems a shame not to make use of the other inputs and PiP features etc.

One of these... http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv1820.asp?vd=rj ...would be nice.

Last edited:
Associate
No, that needs a smart Tv running the special app - Netflix aren't doing 4k on PC for the forseeable future.

Probably looking at returning mine. The ghosting is pretty severe and isn't doing my eyes much good, and the burn in is already starting to become pretty pervasive. Amazing how problems we solved a decade ago are coming back...

Associate
@samuelmorris, you must have a faulty panel. What you describe is definitely not normal. Yes, I see ghosting in extreme situations like the Apple ad (post 1053 in this thread), but NOT in everyday situations like text scrolling or games. You should replace your monitor - send it back and get another one. Do not cancel it completely, you would miss the best UHD experience available at this time. I think, that's the best you could do.

Associate
I think I got one of the first of these to land in the UK, and several months on I'm still extremely impressed with this monitor. This is my 6th monitor in 2 years and honestly, it's the first one where I have no real criticisms.

It IS big for desktop work, but I've just increased the text size to "medium" in windows 8, and a single window is comfortable to use. This is also really practical for dual or triple screening (virtually), albeit with the text size set to "small".

Elite Dangerous still makes my jaw drop on this thing... :)

Associate
Anyone running this on 6500k @ 100 Lum? Any issues with the PWM backlight at this brightness? I'm currently running the LG 34UC97 at 100 because I find anything over that too bright too look at because I recently had LASIK. Pretty annoyed with the backlight bleed on the LG. Or anyone near Cambridge? I could bring my i1 and calibrate it so I can see it for myself. :)

Back
Top Bottom