Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
@mjgr33n: Thanks for ping stats, kitz has listed it as G.INP capable :).

She also told me to pass on that the upstream attenuation appears to just be from U0, rather than an aggregated total of all upstream frequency bands (e.g. U0, U1, U2). Might be a bug.

Associate
FYI -

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/D6400.aspx

Appears Netgear now releasing (in the next few days) their first Consumer AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router.

They tend to use Broadcom chipsets and there wifi tends be very good for internal based antennas, have used the D6300 ADSL Router before and use a WAC120 Access Point in my room, all very good.

So if my ASUS ever dies or goes crazy, it is a possible option :p

The D6300 a very similar device but ADSL only, (Basic same wifi and ethernet chipset unsure on modem) has been out a while and to all degrees its pretty poor. Just look at reviews on the big river website.

The Netgear can be preordered on another well known shopping website for £149.99 for release on the 14/4...

Yep ;) same site i make mention of the D6300 above ;)

see first pages

http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/archive/index.php/t-2631463.html

They have some good info in there

============================

By the way ... mentioned the netgear

I have to say about the new ASUS DSL N17U

Asus bringing a compact adsl/vdsl unit (MediaTek MT7510 same as the dsl ac68u) ... 2,4G (300Mbps) beamforming with internal antennas, separate giga incoming wan, 2 usb 2.0 ... and asus throwed same dsl settings (nothing less) as the dsl ac68u

http://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLN17U/

Not sure when will be in UK but it seems a way lower cost alternative

It will bring some more in stock later but soon almost everywhere available in Europe
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/22450/fqnhg/Asus-DSL-N17U-ADSL2-VDSL-modeemi

Cut out the picture, only to try to keep things tidier. Nice info and find though not sure i would want a modem only device from Asus with the same chipset as the current DSL-AC68U, if it still performs poor on UK FTTC it basically becomes a big door stop.

@mjgr33n: Thanks for ping stats, kitz has listed it as G.INP capable :).

She also told me to pass on that the upstream attenuation appears to just be from U0, rather than an aggregated total of all upstream frequency bands (e.g. U0, U1, U2). Might be a bug.

Hohum......... As i pointed out more than once to some other people here ;) Just another new stats bug on the Asus to give it new brain wind problems LOL. They really need to hire someone that knows how to code properly LOL

I wonder if this new netgear will be the new dg834gt of this internet revolution...

Not if its anything like the buggy D6300 it wont. Wifi range on that is also poor, the D6400 looks like it will be basically the same device only with a different chipset for the modem side, chipsets for wifi, and ethernet being the same, so nope unless it connects shockingly fast and is shockingly stable its gonna be average at best i suspect. (Not that i want to crush peoples dreams or anything hehe).

Last edited:
Associate
The D6300 a very similar device but ADSL only, (Basic same wifi and ethernet chipset unsure on modem) has been out a while and to all degrees its pretty poor. Just look at reviews on the big river website.

Yes, as I said I have a D6300 and used to use it on ADSL (it is now in Ukraine in my apartment there but not using DSL any more), it did have some issues as reported on other websites, but after a few firmware updates it was a much improved beast, although I could never get my LG G3 to run at AC speeds on the wireless, my Nexus 5 was fine.

But most reviews are based on initial device with initial firmware, I can assure you it was not poor, at least not after firmware updates. But the same could be said for the ASUS according to a lot of people.

The ASUS at least has full speed on all my AC wireless devices but then so does my Netgear WAC120 wireless access point which came out after the D6300. Also the D6400 seems to have more of the smaller footprint as does the WAC120.

So am hoping that the wireless on the D6400 is as good as the WAC120.

But I hope it does not need as many firmware updates as the D6300 to be good.

The company I would love to release a VDSL Gateway would be Linksys as I alwasy found them to be rock solid stable with high Sync Speeds when I was on Bethere and Zen.

Of course my ASUS is running perfectly at the moment, so no need to change anything at the moment. Some more detailed stats is the only thing missing for me atm.

Did you ever buy a new DSL-AC68U?

Soldato
Incredibly power full router but it sure does look fugly as hell and only 4 gb ports i wish manufacturers would put more ports on like 6 instead of 4.....

but again thing looks like a fugly brick lol think i will stick with asus + asus is still faster and the more expensive router and looks way better. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Not if its anything like the buggy D6300 it wont. Wifi range on that is also poor, the D6400 looks like it will be basically the same device only with a different chipset for the modem side, chipsets for wifi, and ethernet being the same, so nope unless it connects shockingly fast and is shockingly stable its gonna be average at best i suspect. (Not that i want to crush peoples dreams or anything hehe).

Haha, I was just being optimistic/hopeful after a few beers. :D

Associate
Incredibly power full router but it sure does look fugly as hell and only 4 gb ports i wish manufacturers would put more ports on like 6 instead of 4.....

but again thing looks like a fugly brick lol think i will stick with asus + asus is still faster and the more expensive router and looks way better. :D

Agreed, at least for now ;)

Associate
Yes, as I said I have a D6300 and used to use it on ADSL (it is now in Ukraine in my apartment there but not using DSL any more), it did have some issues as reported on other websites, but after a few firmware updates it was a much improved beast, although I could never get my LG G3 to run at AC speeds on the wireless, my Nexus 5 was fine.

But most reviews are based on initial device with initial firmware, I can assure you it was not poor, at least not after firmware updates. But the same could be said for the ASUS according to a lot of people.

The ASUS at least has full speed on all my AC wireless devices but then so does my Netgear WAC120 wireless access point which came out after the D6300. Also the D6400 seems to have more of the smaller footprint as does the WAC120.

So am hoping that the wireless on the D6400 is as good as the WAC120.

But I hope it does not need as many firmware updates as the D6300 to be good.

The company I would love to release a VDSL Gateway would be Linksys as I alwasy found them to be rock solid stable with high Sync Speeds when I was on Bethere and Zen.

Of course my ASUS is running perfectly at the moment, so no need to change anything at the moment. Some more detailed stats is the only thing missing for me atm.

Did you ever buy a new DSL-AC68U?

Ill reserve full judgement until i see some stats for the device. Looking around it seems the D6300 is average at best, no doubt more stable than the Asus for many has been but average for a modem/router when its £150 does not cut it for me. Ive had £30-60 devices when i was on ADSL Like a TP-Link 8960 which have performed to their full potential, report stats correct and have no niggly firmware issues, IMO any manufacturer that wants over £100 for a device needs to get the basics right in the first place. Its no good claiming a device has superfast wifi, can do this and that, has a pretty web interface if its unstable or just does not meet its hyped specs.

NO i never did buy another Asus, im still on the fence, have resisted pulling the trigger as Billion have a new device coming and their current top end VDSL device seems far more stable than the Asus for about the same price. Couple that with Netgear now having the D6400 device coming (average will be even better than bug ridden asus mess ;) ) and other current devices like the TP-Link 9980 slowly falling in price and i was in no real rush to replace the Asus. Even more so when multiple times it seems even when you tell them what is wrong with the device the company does not seem to fix it (the latest example now being it does not read attenuation stats right, a bodge to make the incorrect FEC etc go away LOL which i suspected the moment i saw the first batch of stats from the beta firmware LOL).

I know how to extract their firmware so as long as i could recompile it properly i reckon i could manually fix the issues properly and remove the unnecessary settings they insist on keeping on the device, at around £160 and given their lack of listening to people i do not see why i should do what their coding department is now obviously incapable of.

Should have the Netgear D6400 here tomorrow.
Ohhhh are you going to skive off for an hour or so and test one out for us all :D I hope someone at OCUK has FTTC and can find time to put one through its paces. Hopefully it turns out to be a better device than i fear it will be. If not im sure some rich so and so :D in here will be ordering one from you soon to play with :)

Not many router chipsets support more than 4 ports so thats why you do not see many of them.
Haha, I was just being optimistic/hopeful after a few beers. :D

Never know i could be wrong maybe for a change a manufacturer may have learned from mistakes and will not repeat them. Then again Netgear are a manufacturer who have had some prior great devices but with poor software. The DG834GT ADSL device of years gone by was amazing once DGTeam firmware or similar was applied, a pity Netgear couldnt do the job right thereselves ;) Sounds familar like another company this thread is about hehehe ;)

Ideally I think device from Netgear similar to the Nighthawk unit but with a built in modem would go down quite well.

An AC2350 or AC3200 device with triple WAN options would be even better :D though i suspect the cost would be £250 or more, not exactly pocket change and given how some seem incapable of getting the things to work as they should fully it would need to be done right to avoid a riot at that price.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair, I hadn't even looked at the higher AC devices. I would be more than happy with something along the lines of the Nighthawk.

I'm in the same boat as yourself BitsNbobs. I'm holding off to see what Billion come out with. I have a feeling we may see quite a few devices making it out this year. I don't mind paying £150+ for an all singing all dancing device IF it is totally stable and not full of bugs. Granted, Most firmwares will have some type of issue somewhere but hopefully nothing that will prevent it doing its job properly.

Associate
To be fair, I hadn't even looked at the higher AC devices. I would be more than happy with something along the lines of the Nighthawk.

I'm in the same boat as yourself BitsNbobs. I'm holding off to see what Billion come out with. I have a feeling we may see quite a few devices making it out this year. I don't mind paying £150+ for an all singing all dancing device IF it is totally stable and not full of bugs. Granted, Most firmwares will have some type of issue somewhere but hopefully nothing that will prevent it doing its job properly.

The problem with the Billion is if they actually even bring it out this year, have seen reps saying it will be out my second half of the year and have seen others from the company stating they probably won't bring it out this year as their current range meets the needs of their customers at the moment.

Too much contradictory information from such forums as Kitz and Whirlpool etc.

Hopefully a proper announcement soon, but not holding my breath. Would be nice to have information on their website instead of just the product brochures.

Soldato
The problem with the Billion is if they actually even bring it out this year, have seen reps saying it will be out my second half of the year and have seen others from the company stating they probably won't bring it out this year as their current range meets the needs of their customers at the moment.

Too much contradictory information from such forums as Kitz and Whirlpool etc.

Hopefully a proper announcement soon, but not holding my breath. Would be nice to have information on their website instead of just the product brochures.

I got this information from one of the Admins on the Billion forums. Last time I spoke to him it was meant to be out at the beginning of the year then they said it wasn't being released until later due to having the other items out. Hopefully sooner rather than later although the amount of sodding around I've done lately withe my router, I'm quite glad to just have the ability to update that when needed and leave the modem hooked up doing its thing.

Associate
It's funny this is the first time i was tempted away from billion.....This was without doubt the worst purchase i made last year......and that includes random drunk ebay orders. Learnt my lesson!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom