wireless or wired?

Associate
I'm building a new house and i'm wondering if it is worth having it wired up with ethernet sockets in all the rooms before the pasterboard goes on.
Atm i only have a 6mbps connection and the speed is the same for wireless and wired.
If i got fibre optic would i see a difference between the two?

Associate
If you are planning on staying in this house for more than 5 years or think you might stream video/audio between devices at any point in the future then go wired without hesitation.

Also consider it as it may add value to your house in the future

Associate
put the wiring in! It isn't that expensive and you will curse yourself if you don't do it. Even if some places you don't even put a socket just have the cable in the wall (and marked on plans) so if you ever do find you need placement somewhere you have it. (speaking as a homeowner that has had to retro fit cabling it's a pain in the arse)

Associate
OP
Okay it looks like everyone thinks i should have it wired so i think ill get it done.
Anyone got any tips for installing it, what cable to use etc? I heard you can't run it alongside electrical cable because of interference how sensitive is it to that?

Soldato
Yeah it's always good practice to keep network and low voltage cables/circuits separate to prevent cross-talk/interference.
Personally I'd pay the little extra and install good quality CAT6 cables as it will allow for more headroom and give you more options than the slightly cheaper CAT5E (which can also run @ gigabit)

Soldato
Wireless should only be used for light mobile browsing.
Powerline should never be used.

Wired :D

Lol Bledd and his anti powerline stance!

Back on topic, if your having somwehere built or rewired then get the cat 6 in it is by far the best option but only if you don't have to retrofit it which is an absolute nightmare and only worth it for anything really critical!

Back
Top Bottom