Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Right thanks, while the 60 quid cash back is on the month I think I'll grab it and then work out what ram to pick up.

Actually, one last thing before I forget. I know it comes with 2gb, does anyone know if that is one stick? I could always just pick up one 8gb stick then, run it with 10gb for a bit.

Soldato
You do need ECC ram for the newer microservers. Not for the older N36-N54.

The new one is very fussy, i tried ram from real servers (Dell R720 i had lying around) and it still didn't like it. Had to get specific stuff for it.

Permabanned
You don't need ECC Ram. I'm running some XMS3 i took out of my HTPC when I retired it and it runs fine.

You do need ECC ram for the newer microservers. Not for the older N36-N54.

The new one is very fussy, i tried ram from real servers (Dell R720 i had lying around) and it still didn't like it. Had to get specific stuff for it.

I can confirm that I tried 2 completely different sticks in mine & neither would work. It got stuck on the initialisation stage at 90% and would keep rebooting itself.

The RAM sticks are both fully functional.

One a Samsung Green 4GB stick, the other a Geil Black Dragon 8GB stick.

I tried them in combination with the 2GB stick in the other slot & by themselves in case it was a 1 stick ecc / 1 stick non-ecc mismatch or something... but no, same stall phase.

This Gen8 seems to want ECC. I don't need more than 2GB for my intended use... I was just curious.

My main server has a 4570 with 32gb ram... so i'm not in need of any other virtual hosts... the are just NASes for me :)

I also searched the BIOS to find any way to disable ram fault checking or similar & no luck.

Last edited:
Associate
My Gen8 arrived last Friday, still waiting on a few bits before I can properly put it together, which is likely to be over the weekend/Friday night.

I haven't bought any additional RAM for it as I think i'll wait until next month, I want to stick ESXI on there, however for time being I will just be running one Windows 2012R2 server on it so I don't think I need to upgrade just yet, also buying the correct RAM for it looks to be a slight headache.

I wanted redundancy so I will be going for a RAID5 setup using a P410 1GB Controller, which I managed to get it at a really good price off the bay, flashed it to the newest firmware and it is picking up the new hard drives, I went for 4 3TB's so 9TB RAID5. Also I bought a 128GB SSD for a Raid0 boot disc, connected to the second SAS port on the P410.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I wanted redundancy so I will be going for a RAID5 setup using a P410 1GB Controller, which I managed to get it at a really good price off the bay, flashed it to the newest firmware and it is picking up the new hard drives, I went for 4 3TB's so 9TB RAID5. Also I bought a 128GB SSD for a Raid0 boot disc, connected to the second SAS port on the P410.
Mind if I ask how much you paid for the P410? Did it include the battery? Thanks.

Associate
I have just bought one as the Synology unit I ordered went out of stock, after installing Xpenology to it I am having second thoughts.

There seems to be a general problem with fan noise - is there an bios/firmware/os/disk configuration that will get the fan to run quietly with one of the free server distros. There is a great deal about it on various forums, but most of the time the actual set up is not stated making it difficult to know if it is relevant. The one sure way seems to be to run under ESXi so the correct drivers can be installed, but this needs extra memory and I don't particularly want to spend extra on the thing as support for hp seems to be very paid for enterprise support driven.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The bios controls the fans on mine... even before I updated it to the latest firmware.

The noise on startup is horrific... but it only lasts a couple of seconds, once the PWM bits kick into gear, it settles down to an acceptable idle... almost quiet enough to stick it under my desk... but not quite.

Still glad they are in the basement, but they are no-where near as quiet as a synology ;)

Back
Top Bottom