Parents - How old were you when your first child was born?

Soldato
The other half was 39 I was 37 our eldest is 2 the youngest 10 months. Both born when we lived in Kent. A little older than we would both have chosen but we are financially better off as a consequence I suppose.

Associate
I'm 32 and the missus is 33 - got 7 week old twins.
In hindsight, we should not have waited so long, though the drivers here are the probable difficulties with raising a child at the wrong end of 30 together with the decreasing odds of conception with IVF after the age of 30.

We were both 38 when we had our twin boys, just over a year ago. Really could do with a sleep!

In hindsight We probably waited too long, but there were mitigating circumstances. I do sometimes wish I was ten years younger physically, but the added experience and financial stability helps.

Anyway, let's all be honest here it never ever feels like the right time, and your never ready when it happens!

Soldato
We were both 38 when we had our twin boys, just over a year ago. Really could do with a sleep!

In hindsight We probably waited too long

this is another thing that probably boils down to the individual but i'm fitter and stronger than i was at 25 and i've been active in sport or keeping fit for aslong as i can remember

that will probably tail off in terms of energy i had at 25 but there's no reason one can't be as fit in their late 30's early 40's as their 20's if a good lifestyle is maintained.

Associate
i was 31 and wife was 27
got married on 11-11-11, wife was knocked up in a couple of weeks, we didnt mess about :D
had a little girl in Sept 2012..
love her to bits and cannot imagine life without her now... it can be hard at times, if you have had a bad day at work and she wants to do stuff.

we would like another but our house is far too small and trying to pay some debts of which we had before we had the little'un, but its harder now because of wife only working 2 days a week.
once they are taken care of, we shall look at moving.
but was genuinely surprised how quick wife got pregnant because at 23 i was told, i could only be working at 50% capacity because of an op when i found a lump at 22...
and i refused to have any test to verify that, but because of not knowing there was no pressure

Soldato
I was 24 and missus 21..... Jeez that feels weird typing that now. Oldest lad is 9 tomorrow, we then had a girl 2 years later... and their little bro is 2 in a few weeks. Big gap has proved to be hard work as we see a lot of our friends from the kids school all getting pretty normal lifes back with their pairs and we have our 3rd where is feels a lot more work! Glad we had them young! Looking around at friends from school etc where very few have had kids Im not really sure what I'm supposed to have missed out on.

Associate
29, Married to my wife who was 34 at the time, we live in London and it was a planned decision.

10 years have flown by and my Daughter is my pride and makes me smile everyday, no matter how hard things have gotten she has always kept me focused on being a better person

Associate
I was 25 missus was 25 as well, im 34 now and we have 4 kids!

youngest will be a year old on the 24th of this month

:eek: About time you went for the bricks or are you planning on more ?
I love my kids but can't imagine having four of them.
I suppose I am a bit selfish really, wanting at least a moment for myself.

Soldato
I was 40 and the wife was 35. It wasn't planned, especially after the doctors told us we would never have kids. But thanks to our Lord we have been blessed with a little monster (at times) :D

But my little fella is 3 in a few of months. I do worry that I will be over 60 and my sons life is just starting. I guess that is the reason why I am getting in shape as best I can as I want to be around for many years to come.

Soldato
In the 21st century being close to your family is a luxury.

I wonder if the loss of family members being relatively close (on the same street in the 'olden days') has a negative impact. Certainly does on childcare costs.

Being close enough it's easy to arrange seeing them is very common.

Indeed, whilst my grandparents are all long dead, my parents are 14 miles down the road, and my son & grandson are 11 miles away. This means I see them all weekly (or even more often)

I'd hate not to be able to do so as already I am forming an important part of the little one's life.

41, wife 24.
Feel 65 after 10 months of the boy running the world!

Ding dong. Playa!

Soldato
Me 43, wife 40, married 21 years when daughter was born in 2013. Don’t regret not having her earlier, if we did then we wouldn’t have had this particular bundle of joy!

I'm constantly amazed by the randomness of conception and being here. If we'd had sex a different night or if one of my other 100 million swimmers had made it there first, it would have been a totally different person.

Associate
33, wife was 34, living in South Wales.

It was planned and absolutely felt the right time. With hindsight, neither of us felt ready before that point, both of us were perusing busy careers and had active hobbies/social lives. We hit a time though where for both of us our wants changed.

Being a parent is fantastic, more fulfilling than I ever imagined. It is a lot of commitment and work though, so be absolutely sure you are ready!

alx

alx

Soldato
I was 40 and the wife was 35. It wasn't planned, especially after the doctors told us we would never have kids. But thanks to our Lord we have been blessed with a little monster (at times) :D

But my little fella is 3 in a few of months. I do worry that I will be over 60 and my sons life is just starting. I guess that is the reason why I am getting in shape as best I can as I want to be around for many years to come.

I wouldn't worry too much, my Dad was 47 when he had me and I don't really think it mattered much (we still played football/cricket in the garden when I was younger!) - I'm 28 now for reference.

If anything I think it made him more youthful as he had to play with a younger kid at an older age :).

These days life expectancy is higher and people are active for longer so shouldn't be such an issue.

Soldato
I'm constantly amazed by the randomness of conception and being here. If we'd had sex a different night or if one of my other 100 million swimmers had made it there first, it would have been a totally different person.

I'd say nurture is more important than nature* when it comes to what the person will be.

* Obviously genetics has a big influence on a person though, predisposition to diseases, eye colour, height and such.

Back
Top Bottom