• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
OP
If you look close one might see that those slides are camera phone pics of a large screen presentation, there is a date of February 2015 on one.

If its fake its a fairly elaborate one, it has all the hallmarks of a member of an audience sneaking phone pics of the presentation out.

It may have been a private presentation of some kind, like an investors event, 'someone' from AMD may have invited one or two press along for the event to 'accidentally leak' some of it.

I hope it's legit. This likely max chip spec, consumer chip could see 6/8 core CPU with decent IGPU with HBM.

I would def put a system together with an APU like that and some fast DDR4, make a great all in one Mini-ITX.

Soldato
OP
For desktop i'm thinking 10 cores 20 threads, they have done 8.

Not done 8 on APU. 8 core / 16 thread APU with decent IGPU + HBM I would be more than happy with.

CPU only i.e new FX series will likely be 10/20 - 12/24+ thread @ High end..

This is all hypothetical of course as we don't know this is legit :p

Anyways give me a 6/8core APU with decent graphics and I'll move to all in one APU build. Low power decent performance and quiet. Would be perfect for Mini-ITX.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not done 8 on APU. 8 core / 16 thread APU with decent IGPU + HBM I would be more than happy with.

CPU only i.e new FX series will likely be 10/20 - 12/24+ thread @ High end..

This is all hypothetical of course as we don't know this is legit :p

Anyways give me a 6/8core APU with decent graphics and I'll move to all in one APU build. Low power decent performance and quiet. Would be perfect for Mini-ITX.

I don't think we will be seeing CPU's in the tradition sense like the FX series again.

Even Intel don't make CPU's like that anymore and haven't for years, the Core series CPU's are more APU than CPU.

Soldato
I don't think we will be seeing CPU's in the tradition sense like the FX series again.

Even Intel don't make CPU's like that anymore and haven't for years, the Core series CPU's are more APU than CPU.

Intel still make GPU-less server CPUs, some for consumer sockets. This might not go away.

Soldato
OP

Even Intel don't make CPU's like that anymore and haven't for years
, the Core series CPU's are more APU than CPU.

Eh? Haswell -E says hello :)

I'm sure we'll see CPU only from AMD along side APU. Even if it's just APU with graphics removed.

10/12 core CPU only. 6/8 core APU with graphics would be my guess for consumer in 2016.

I'm looking forward to AMD's new APU's more than their GPU's tbh. Wanted to move to an all in one for ages. Hopefully with HBM and new architecture the performance is there not like in current APU's.

Soldato
I have zero interest in APUs, I wish they would just give up and stop wasting die space.

Intel Devil's Canyon are APUs so are most of their high end CPUs dude. They all have a GPU attached they just don't get the same name because it's crap.

Asrock told me directly (and this was from the top) that the only reason they did not make any ITX boards for Vishera was because they do not have an onboard GPU so you must run a GPU and that means that all boards must carry a PCIE slot.

This is a great idea from AMD, even if the GPU attached is only for a server so you don't need a GPU.

Soldato
OP
I have zero interest in APUs, I wish they would just give up and stop wasting die space.

Looking forward to the day I no longer need DGPU for gaming, 1 APU and 1 AIO fan would be perfect. Silent and low power, yes plz.

Hope AMD gets this right. Probably have to wait until Q4 2016 to find out :p

Soldato
Asrock told me directly (and this was from the top) that the only reason they did not make any ITX boards for Vishera was because they do not have an onboard GPU so you must run a GPU and that means that all boards must carry a PCIE slot.
I'd always assumed it was due to the presence of a northbridge and southbridge causing serious space constraints. Most ITX consumer boards have PCIe anyway.

Soldato
OP
So, you're expecting to buy an APU that has the same performance as the discrete GPU's of the time?

Yeah, it's not happening, like ever.

You said that not me :p, I see your first question was obviously baiting so you could follow up with that ha.

Obviously an APU won't be able to match a Titan launched in the same year. What an APU should be able to do is provide a good gaming experience, and using a single chip will require less cooling and use less power than a traditional setup. This def appeals to me.

Really the only thing holding back even current APU's from 2014 is bandwidth.

If HBM can solve this problem, and a die shrink plus architecture improvements allows for more cores, we should see gaming capable APU's sooner rather than later..

Last edited:
Soldato
^ Indeed, APUs already power more gaming machines than traditional CPU/GPU PCs (20+ million PS4s and 10+ million Xbox Ones). APUs might forever lag the top-end GPUs, but they already provide an acceptable level of gaming performance.

Caporegime
You say this appeals to you, but your buying habits and rigs you run disagrees with that :p?

I'm not knocking or flaming or baiting or any of that crap, just your stance has me genuinely puzzled....

I think an APU that has a midrange gpu could be decent for some of the lower end pc's I've done. Although so far, I've never really found an APU to offer the best performance given slightly hhigher budget would let me do a better discrete gpu. But here is hoping.

Last edited:
Caporegime
^ Indeed, APUs already power more gaming machines than traditional CPU/GPU PCs (20+ million PS4s and 10+ million Xbox Ones). APUs might forever lag the top-end GPUs, but they already provide an acceptable level of gaming performance.

I was talking pc market, and those apus wouldn't perform the same in a pc as they do the consoles.There's also no option current to buy an APU with that level of gpu performance.
Even assuming in 2016 that AMD have an APU with a 7850 bolted on and not bandwidth limited (which I think will be a stupidly good thing if something like a 7850 gpu performance can exist in an apu by that time, and from then on out continue in a similar vain to having a low mid range gpu in an apu) that will never ever be upto what boom actually buys. Unless it's for one of his many many side rigs, given the fact he's running titan.

Soldato
I'd always assumed it was due to the presence of a northbridge and southbridge causing serious space constraints. Most ITX consumer boards have PCIe anyway.

Yeah they do but in reality hardly any one uses it. Just recently I set out to buy a tiny ITX chassis that actually supported a full length GPU and wasn't enormous like the Corsair 250D. And I can say, it wasn't easy.

90% of the tiny ITX chassis I found did not support any sort of GPU at all.

So basically you would then have to ignore the "office crowd" completely and make a board that is purely for gaming.

The NB and SB are not that big, and 8 phases is easily done. I'm pretty sure the Impact is 8 phase, they're just on a riser card.

AMD have their APUs that are great for ITX rigs, so making a board for Vishera makes no sense for making money.

Back
Top Bottom