Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Dog

Dog

Associate
Hi guys, I'm having some issues with my Superhub 2ac router surprise surprise. The wireless sucks, so i got some homeplugs for one part of the house. But i was thinking, the wireless signal from my old Linksys WRT54gl worked fine, is it possible to set up the superhub so that it emits the 5ghz signal, whereas the 2.4ghz signal goes through the old Linksys router?

Just go into the wireless configure pages and set it to 5 ghz only, plug your linksys in via Ethernet and use that as normal.

Rich

Dog

Dog

Associate
They are all blue apart from the data transfer arrow which is a green/red color.

Router is still in a pre provisioned state then, i take it rebooting it didn't clear it?

If trying to go online doesn't bring up an activation page then ring the help number and ask them to hit the new hub.

Rich

Associate
Just go into the wireless configure pages and set it to 5 ghz only, plug your linksys in via Ethernet and use that as normal.

Rich

Great stuff, do i have to fiddle with any other settings or should it play ball straight away?

Also with regards to the already existing homeplugs, does that need to be connected through the linksys router or can it stay on the Superhub?

Dog

Dog

Associate
Great stuff, do i have to fiddle with any other settings or should it play ball straight away?

Also with regards to the already existing homeplugs, does that need to be connected through the linksys router or can it stay on the Superhub?

Shouldn't have to change anything else mate.

Home plugs should work regardless which router they are connected - try and make sure they are in wall sockets rather than extension leads.

Rich

Soldato
Router is still in a pre provisioned state then, i take it rebooting it didn't clear it?

If trying to go online doesn't bring up an activation page then ring the help number and ask them to hit the new hub.

Rich

Rebooted a few times still nothing, just connected to the wifi and was sent to the virgin media activation page, everything went fine, connected to the Internet for a few minutes then the router went back to the data light being green instead of blue, now no internet again.

Dog

Dog

Associate
Rebooted a few times still nothing, just connected to the wifi and was sent to the virgin media activation page, everything went fine, connected to the Internet for a few minutes then the router went back to the data light being green instead of blue, now no internet again.

Sounds like it didn't activate / provision properly. Give the helpline a call.

Rich

Soldato
I'm moving to a rented apartment where they don't allow Virgin - they have an Openreach socket so any BT ISP is allowed - anyone experienced getting out of your contract early due to this?

Soldato
Seem to have a billing problem. My monthly bills were £27.67 (a strange figure indeed) up to and including February for up to 60Mb standalone broadband.

So, they upgraded me to up to 100Mb from immediately after that bill, saying they supercharged me and it's 'on us' meaning they're upgrading me at no extra cost. Shortly after, an update email from VM:

Your Updated Package ...
Bundle charges
Broadband Size: XL (up to 100Mb)
Bundle charges total £31.50

Promotional offer(s)
Loyalty Discount - £5 per month for 24 months
Promotional offer(s) total £5.00CR
New monthly package total* £26.50

However, my March bill, and again this month, are both £31.50. They seem to have forgotten about the 2 year loyalty discount.

Your Bill Summary
Account number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Area reference: 21

Bill date: Mar 03, 2015
Payment due date: Mar 20, 2015
Payment reference: xxxxxxxxxx

Amount: £31.50

Idiots. I guess I should call them tomorrow and insist on a refund of the extra amount? The April bill doesn't get debited till the 20th, so only £5 so far needs refunding from March.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bah, I just spoke to a scottish woman who told me my 24 month loyalty discount wasn't just starting but that it had just ended beginning of march, hence, the £31.50 is correct. I said well put me back to the up to 60Mb broadband as I'm not making use of the 100Mb unless I'm connected with ethernet. She said it would only reduce it to £28 as my discount had expired, so I left it.

I really wish there was some competition so i could threaten to leave, but there isn't. Every other broadband company expects me to take a phone line.

Soldato
I'm moving to a rented apartment where they don't allow Virgin - they have an Openreach socket so any BT ISP is allowed - anyone experienced getting out of your contract early due to this?

Nope i've previously moved to a non cable area and had this: you'll be put onto virgin national (i think its called) adsl and continue through your contract but obviously at a lesser price.

Associate
They don't have an ADSL service anymore, they sold it to talktalk. So Virgin can't offer you anything anymore.

If the area you move to isn't cabled then I would have thought they'd let you off, however if it is cabled but you won't/can't take it then I would have thought that would be deemed your issue and you'd have to pay a fee as VM could provide services there.

Soldato
Argh! Father-in-law who is kindly doing a bit of gardening for us has just cut through our cable! TV and Broadband now dead until we can get an engineer - which will be Weds AM at this rate. :(

Bloody engineers not burying cables properly.....

Soldato
Just a quick question which i hope someone can answer. I've renegotiated my deal from £26pm to £20.50, but after 18 months the price will increase to £28.50. This is 50Mb internet only, i don't have any other services from VM.

Is this the norm, or should i refuse the offer and aim for a more permanent lower price deal? What are my chances and what's the best tactic please gents.

Associate
Virgin has been absolutely terrible for me lately.

Tonight I am getting up to 2700ms ping. I rushed home from work to do something at a specific time on an online game and I find out that it's unplayable due to my ping varying between 1000-2700ms.

I heard from my parents that this may have something to do with Virgin being over-utilised (i.e. too many customers).

Associate
Virgin has been absolutely terrible for me lately.

Tonight I am getting up to 2700ms ping. I rushed home from work to do something at a specific time on an online game and I find out that it's unplayable due to my ping varying between 1000-2700ms.

I heard from my parents that this may have something to do with Virgin being over-utilised (i.e. too many customers).

Likely to be the case.

Better post up on VMs forums so they can give you a fault reference so you can get some credit for the next 12 months while they fix it? :confused:

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom