Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Ye AirVPN sounds good from what I've read. What type of speeds am I likely to get? I'm currently on 150 but doubt I'd get any where that.

I'm on 150 too and get between 16 and 18MB/sec down on an old PC, which is around 144Mbps. Bear in mind the encryption involved in OpenVPN will naturally take some speed off, no matter what provider you use.

Soldato
Been having huge issues lately.

I pay for the 152mb service.

Normally between 135 - 155 download, and 11-13 upload.

The last week it has been 40mb down / 0.25 up.

Rang them, they said my hardware is failing and I have an engineer coming out tomorrow morning. My box is logging lots of 'Intermission fails' as he put it. Hopefully fixed tomorrow!

Associate
I'm on 150 too and get between 16 and 18MB/sec down on an old PC, which is around 144Mbps. Bear in mind the encryption involved in OpenVPN will naturally take some speed off, no matter what provider you use.

That sounds really good actually. I was looking at some other providers like Private Internet Access and was not getting anywhere close to that on their speed tests.

Soldato
That sounds really good actually. I was looking at some other providers like Private Internet Access and was not getting anywhere close to that on their speed tests.

I've really come to dislike PIA for several reasons, including their closed source approach, terrible attitude to customers and the appalling customer service. But that's another story. I do have active subs with PIA, Air and VPN.ac so I'm not just being a fanboy, but I'll be seriously reconsidering PIA when my sub is due. I'm on a £20 a year black Friday type deal so it's really cheap compared to the normal price, which is the only reason I'm still there. Overall for me Air are the best of the lot. I really love their hands on customer service, the lack of script reading monkeys, and the fast turnaround on bugfixes, software development etc. The servers are always A1 too.

Associate
I've really come to dislike PIA for several reasons, including their closed source approach, terrible attitude to customers and the appalling customer service. But that's another story. I do have active subs with PIA, Air and VPN.ac so I'm not just being a fanboy, but I'll be seriously reconsidering PIA when my sub is due. I'm on a £20 a year black Friday type deal so it's really cheap compared to the normal price, which is the only reason I'm still there. Overall for me Air are the best of the lot. I really love their hands on customer service, the lack of script reading monkeys, and the fast turnaround on bugfixes, software development etc. The servers are always A1 too.

Thanks for the info. Had a quick look on the VPN subreddit and everyone is very up in arms over the fact their service is hosted in the US. I was drawn to it because of the price as I'm new to VPNs but I think I'll go with Air. Cheers

Soldato
Thanks for the info. Had a quick look on the VPN subreddit and everyone is very up in arms over the fact their service is hosted in the US. I was drawn to it because of the price as I'm new to VPNs but I think I'll go with Air. Cheers

There's a long history of feuding between PIA and Reddit. PIA's rationale for being US based as a company is that the owners are not from the US (so can't be pressured by the NSA et al.), but since the US has no mandatory data-retention law they can operate a zero-knowledge network with relative impunity. Since the EU data directives only apply to telephony and ISP companies, not VPNs, one has to wonder about that. Regardless, as a customer of long standing and as someone who has contributed heavily to supporting folks on their forum, I've become sick of the shady way they treat customers and their persistent refusal to support or engage with the people who pay them. Hence discovering AirVPN and VPN.ac (and tons of others I rejected after trials).

Soldato
Tomorrow is good though ?.....we usually get told we have to wait a week...then get a phone call from Virgin saying no one is coming out as it's an " Area Fault "

Not denying that, was pleasantly surprised! :)

The friendly chap turned up this morning, low and behold my 'hardware faults had fixed themselves. He said it was more than likely an area wide issue affecting local services.

I don't agree with what he said though, I have 2 friends who live 150m away form me in either direction and they were getting full service.

Odd - but hey ho can't complain! Getting 158mb down (fastest Ive ever seen it!), and 12mb up

Caporegime
If our house move goes to plan and if we decide to take the Virgin service with us, we'll be going onto the Selly Oak exchange.

I imagine a fair few students will be on this exchange, should I be worried about high utilisation?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Total service loss down here in Portsmouth.

Anyone else?

I've had issues for the pas 4 days, at first I thought it wasn't an issue from my side as I didn't use any streaming sites such as netflix or spotify. But as I listened to music on Spotify I noticed that my internet connection had a massive amount of packets loss and 100% loss for around 30 seconds every 5-10mins. I did a hard reboot and turned the Superhub into moderm mode and off. But that didn't do much, I'm going to go on VM Forums later on when I get back home, last time the technician said that the cabling is really bad around my area, so he put some signal extensions around.

P.s. It's not just me who has those issues, couple people I know from my town said that their internet has been behaving weirdly recently.. :(

Last edited:
Associate
If our house move goes to plan and if we decide to take the Virgin service with us, we'll be going onto the Selly Oak exchange.

I imagine a fair few students will be on this exchange, should I be worried about high utilisation?
Yes, unfortunately most of the students are on virgin to their student plans.

A couple of my friends living on different roads in Selly-oak student houses complain it grinds to a halt, and they're on 100Mb lines..

Soldato
Does anyone know how to setup TV Anywhere when using the Superhub in modem mode connected to separate router? When i try and connect (on Android phone) it just says the Tivo box is not connected to the same wifi network.

Soldato
Tivo plugged into the router? It dosent have wireless so has to be physically plugged in to the router.

This is only needed for the remote control function not to watch TV on your device.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom