Anyone switched back from 120hz to 60z gaming in here...

Soldato
Trying to weigh up my possible next monitor purchase for a new gaming build, and it's getting trickier and trickier.

I thought a new wave of 3440 x 1440 superwide 144hz gsync panels, IPS and VA were going to land soon (Acer, then others), but it turns out they will only be 75hz (probably stable overclocked versions of current 34 superwide panels. see this thread for info http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18666494)

This news has basically scuppered my plans and turned everything on its head :confused:

I'm a fairly recent convert to 120hz (Rog swift, I don't bother with 144hz) gaming having been 60hz for years, but I am now thoroughly spoiled and into 120/ high Hz gaming. Gsync is also superb, and my next screen has to have it.

My question is, has anyone on here gone back to a good quality (mainly 1440p, 1440p superwide, or 4k, and IPS or VA) 60Hz screen after using a 120Hz or faster screen monitor?

If you have, what are your thoughts?

Man of Honour
I can't go back to 60Hz just hate it even for simply UI stuff :| I tried 4K but with the lack of 120Hz just doesn't cut it. Fingers crossed I don't have any problems with my Swift.

The Dell U2913WM (2560x 21:9) when "overclocked" to 75Hz came close - 75Hz isn't too bad as a compromise in itself however with vsync on the input lag was terrible and with it off its really hard to get a combination of framerate that hides the tearing compared to 120Hz where it was much easier to mask it with higher fps :S I'd be interested in seeing how 75Hz with gsync/freesync worked out I'm not sure it would be enough to offset the input lag but maybe it would - 75Hz would be "good enough" when combined with higher image quality than TN for single player and non-competitive online gaming for me if it offset the input latency with gsync/freesync though I'd still prefer 120Hz.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi Rroff - I too still have my Dell U2913WM 2560 x 1080, think we posted about it about a year or so ago! Mine too clocks to 75Hz.

Funny thing is, at that time I remember saying my next dream monitor would be 3440 x 1440, Gsync, and overclockable to 75Hz. It looks like the new Acer superwide, that was 'meant to be' 144hz is now only 75Hz. My goalposts have moved now though after using a Rog Swift and I'm not sure 75Hz can cut it. I wonder if these new Acers might overclock a bit to 85Hz though? Who knows

Associate
I have two 27" monitors, one 144Hz and the other 60Hz IPS. Guess which one is my primary... There's no way I'd go back to 60Hz for gaming, about the only thing it gets used for now is Teamspeak, Chrome, etc. And even that makes me wince a bit when scrolling.

I was tempted by 4k, but I don't think its quite there yet. I'm waiting for more powerful GPU's and fingers crossed 120Hz, eventually.

Associate
Im in the same boat, I was going to buy this monitor if it was 144hz in a snap but now I dont know. I am leaning towards getting the acer ips 144hz now and placing it in the middle of two glossy oc qnix. But would the acer still have workable g sync in this config seeing as the other monitors would be at 100hz custom res?

Associate
For me going from 144 to 60 Its not really the fluidity that bothers me, its the input lag. Do what I did once and do a battlefield 4 session in 144hz and then in 60hz and compare :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, I just tried my Dell 29 inch superwide overclocked to 75Hz. I haven't really gamed on it apart from the odd bit of testing since getting the Rog Swift. Did a quick run around Bioshock Infinite. It was bloody awful!!

The Rog Swift is just so so good. Was running at 120fps vs 75fps obvioulsy. Even the IPS screen on my Dell (which is a very decent ultrasharp range) felt no better than the Swift in terms of colour and image quality. The fact it's only 1080p just felt worse overall too compared to 1440p (obvious I know).

Right, think I have no choice but to stay with the Swift. The high Hz motion clarity and Gsync smoothness is just awesome. You forget how good it is, until you go back to something else. I don't think it's even worth switching for 'rog swift IPS equivalents' yet.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
^^ Make sure you enable gaming mode on the 2913 and turn off some of the post processing options as otherwise you get like ~29ms input lag compared to 14-17ms - still far short of the experience at 120+Hz though.

Soldato
OP
^^ Make sure you enable gaming mode on the 2913 and turn off some of the post processing options as otherwise you get like ~29ms input lag compared to 14-17ms - still far short of the experience at 120+Hz though.

Aye remembered that. It's not the input lag, although obviously worse, that was the issue that was so jarring to me. It's the lack of clarity and awful motion blur that can only be eliminated with a faster Hz panel.

God I wish CRTs were still going in some form, or had evolved in some less weighty way. Flat screens have screwed us all!

Man of Honour
Ah yeah - the Dell stabilises nicely if you pull a fast 180 degree turn but trying to track an object in motion it just doesn't have the clarity of a 120Hz gaming panel :S

I have to say with the Swift I'm not missing my old CRTs though.

Associate
I have the Dell P2715Q and RoG Swift side by side and I much prefer the Dell IPS panel, the image difference is so crisp its like night and day, Im in two minds in whether I should get rid of the swift and get another Dell :/ ?

Coz I love the Dells image quality, and then I look at the swift and think... meh

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am rocking a P2715Q also. Very happy with it. Going to be a while until single gpu can run latest games at above 60fps at 4K. It will serve me another two and a half years until warranty is out. By then we will have much better gpu's and 120hz 4k that has proper freesync/gsync support.

Soldato
OP
I have the Dell P2715Q and RoG Swift side by side and I much prefer the Dell IPS panel, the image difference is so crisp its like night and day, Im in two minds in whether I should get rid of the swift and get another Dell :/ ?

Coz I love the Dells image quality, and then I look at the swift and think... meh

Interesting you say that particular model of 4k dell. Now my plans have totally changed that's the one I've got my eye on, but for work (photography and video). I'm a huge fan of dell monitors.

Are you saying you game on it too, and prefer it to the rog swift? :eek:

What GPUs do you have? Surely you can't prefer gaming on the dell compared to 120hz and Gsync of the rog swift? Seriously?

Associate
I only really play LoL, Cities Skylines and Total War really so I don't really need all dem hz. 980 sli is more than enough to run those games. Yes the Swift offers smoothness and da hz but I just prefer the IPS>TN. Personal preference. If youre into those fps shooters I would advise the swift.

I got mine for less than £500 so I think it was pretty worth for me.

Soldato
It's really depending on the games you play I would think.

I game both 120Hz on my monitor (mouse and keyboard) and 60Hz on my 46" TV (with a controller). I think the 120Hz is much more important for playing FPS games, but having used 120Hz, it doesn't make my experience worse playing on my TV on games such as Alan Wake and Sleeping Dogs (especially CPU and graphic card won't be able to constantly hold 100fps+ anyway).

Soldato
OP
I guess you only notice this if you've experienced 120Hz... I game on my U2913WM just fine at 75Hz.

This is exactly it. You don't know what you're missing until you try it. And then it's very hard to go back.

I too was well happy when I found my dell 29 clocked to 75hz. It made a noticeable difference over 60 for sure. But then I got a rog swift and boom - night and day.

What's odd is, I don't mind gaming on console on a tv, even though I'm now used to high Hz gaming. How come 30 fps on a Tv feels ok? Is it just psychological and you 'forgive' it, cos you know that's all it can do I wonder.

Associate
Here!

For more than three years I ve used the Asus VG278h @ 120hz. I switched to the Philips BDM4065uc 4K VA screen. I have to say, I really do not miss the 120hz much (which I actually have not thought before). The image quality of the Philips is so much better than the Asus TN, which makes the missing 120 hz a minor issue. I have to say though, that I do not play competative First Person Shooters, it is more Action Adventures and RPGs. For those, image quality is imo more important than high refresh rate.

Back
Top Bottom