AOC u3477Pqu 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 Monitor

Associate
AOC monitors are Ok however i have found they can have some serious backlit issues an the actual factory settings need changing limitedly as the colours are just blown up and just no but with a bit of cajigering its all good however again like i have been hearing about acer their customer support if it does go wrong can be a bit spotty but again that's the minority.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well it's here - and it's awesome!

Box was a bit battered when it arrived and a lot of the polystyrene was broken in side but all the cables were still thier sealed poly bags and the monitor and even stand still had the protective film on. I don't think it has even been powered up as the power cable was still in it's selaed bag. Maybe it was B-Grade just because of the battered box - who knows?

Really easy to set up, stand clicked together and monitor mounted with 4 screws - stand is height and tilt adjustable (which the stand on my old AOC 29" wasn't). Another reason I think the monotr has never been swicthed on it that all the setting were at factory default - which is way to bright btw! Reduced the brightness from 90 to 25 and set the rgb to 69, 67 and 80 with overdrive to weak. Picture looks gorgeous :) I prefer this screens semi glossy finish over my old monitors light matte finish.

As for backlight bleed? Well, what backlight bleed :) If there is any, I can't see it. It does have the usual expected IPS glow but it's no worse than any other IPS monitor I've tried. I'm sat in the office with no lights on and it grey and miserable outside atm - lets see if any bleed becomes apprarent at night.

So, to sumarise - very happy and glad I decided to splurge £360 on a B-Grade monitor.

IMAG10591_zpssm4mjkf8.jpg

10974610_10206451878234515_8828450064274697446_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Glad to report no noticable backlight bleed even in a fully dark room :)

Proper pleased :)

Associate
I've seen these on B-Grade last week too and if it wasn't for rumors of my dream monitor soon to be announced (144Hz & 34"Ultrawide & G-Sync) I would have definitely bought it. But seeing your pictures now ... may be I should have bought it anyway !

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've seen these on B-Grade last week too and if it wasn't for rumors of my dream monitor soon to be announced (144Hz & 34"Ultrawide & G-Sync) I would have definitely bought it. But seeing your pictures now ... may be I should have bought it anyway !

As much as I'd love one of those, I couldn't justify spending £1000 on a monitor. Heck, I couldn't justify spending £600 on a monitor - hence the b-grade purchase!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Who the hell would return that monitor then if it wasn't for BLB! Any dead pixels?

(Please beat up more boxes OCUK)

Nope - no dead pixels at all.

I've a feeling it's hadn't even been powered up. Maybe someone returned it because it's just too big!

I don't know if anyone has shown this before but this is a 1920x1080 browser window dragged from my 23" display to the AOC - really shows the extra real estate available with the AOC:-

desktop_zpscwe72waw.png

Associate
Can someone tell me please if the warehouse deals are any good and what kind of defects would one expect like no stand or something.

Thinking of saving though not sure about the risk factor.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well mine was a B-Grade deal and I couldn't be happier. This is what CS told me when I asked:-

I'm afraid that our sales team does not have information as to why any individual B-Grade item is B-Grade. Some of the monitors of this resolution have been returned because they are the super-wide and some applications/games do not scale perfectly to it. Some have been returned if peoples systems have not been a high enough specification to smoothly game at this resolution. Both B-Grade and non-B-Grade screens may have dead pixels as most manufacturers follow ISO 13406-2 for how many pixels and sub-pixels are dead, hot, or stuck before they consider a screens to be faulty. Many IPS panels will have an IPS "glow" which people can confuse with backlight bleed and it is possible these screens may have some IPS glow.

Of course, you still have the same right to return as with non-B-Grade parts.

You only get 90 days warranty with OCUK but you get the full warranty direct with the manufacturer.

Associate
How's the situation about this guy? Any improvement over the BLB issues as in a rev02 or is still a toss of a coin to say the least? Can someone tell me about the sleeping problems using the dp port if it's a defect of some sample or it's a physical problem due to the electronic onboard?

Still can't decide me to pull the damn trigger. I was waiting to see the Acer Predator but I guess it will cost me a couple of kidneys, so it's all about this one (preferred) or the Dell

Associate
Can someone explain me what's the deal about the dp1.2 and 1.1 modes in the OSD? I've read about a number of issues with the 1.2: the sleeping not working, strange buzzes, massive flickering..... all fixed setting it to use 1.1 :(

But isn't 1.1 running at 30Hz? Actually, is 1.1 even able to run anything higher than 2560x1600@60? :confused:

Most of all, are those reports on the 1.2 issues just due to some random defective ones (as in blb) or it's really how it is out of the box?

Last edited:
Associate
For the record, I've got this one at last.

It's awesome, all perfect. No flickering with dp1.2, no problems with sleeping/waking up, some minor bleeding in the bottom left corner but really nothing to be worried about. At the contrary I've understood how far from reality are those pixelated pics taken from a cell and compressed in jpeg.

Movies are OUT-FREAKING-STANDING!!!

Games are..... ZOMG what have I've been playing so far, a gameboy?

Windows scaling is ok, not really perfect, menus are good at 150% other things (notifications, system messages, popups....) are too big, but again at 125% menus are too little. Win7 here, hope win10 will fix this.

The only real issue to me is that I was very much used to a dual monitor setup and this is unfortunately not a way to replace it as I first wished. For productivity is ok, 2 progs side by side are awesome, but if you have to switch from one to another continually, as I normally do in my desktop use, than the dual monitor is still way ahead. Also, must be kept at minimun 70-80 cm or you will have your eyeballs roaming around a lot. For games I stay at 110-120 and it's perfect to have all foucsed and available in your FOV.

I'll have to add another 970 to my rig though. One is barely enough to give me 60 fps@ultra settings.

TL;DR: would definitely AOC again ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Snapped one of these up two days ago as a B grade for £360. Was going to hold out for the Samsung to get a bit cheaper but figured the AOC was worth a punt at that price.

For anyone thinking of getting one of these B grades here are some quick observations based on a day's use.

Firstly the monitor and all acessories were in perfect condition. I think it had been used briefly as the DP cable was not sealed, but all the protective plastic was still in place around the monitor and stand.

The stand is pretty good, solid and very easy to adjust up and down. Suprisingly easy to put this in portrait but it's so ludicrously high you need binoculars to see the top.

No dead/stuck pixels, which was a great relief as this would have been the deal breaker for me.

Colours are outstanding, I forgot just how good IPS panels are for colour. High def pictures look stunning at this resolution with subtle tones and details I hadn't noticed before.

Not really done much gaming so far but looked pretty good on the handful I loaded, especially those with native 21:9 support. Had to drop COH2 down to medium at this res though, even on a 970.

Movies: highly impressive if in the correct aspect, watched a x264 rip of Gravity last night with my Sen 558s for the audio and the experience was totally immersive.

Now the reason it was almost certainly sent back: pretty bad BLB in the bottom left corner, some in the top left and a tiny amount in the TR+BR. As with a lot of others who have commented this is only noticeable on very dark backgrounds. If I'd spent £600 on this I would probably have returned it too, but at £360 it's just not that big a deal to me over and above the positives.

So, definitely worth a gamble on a B grade as long as you factor in the probable reasons why these monitors have been returned in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom