RX100 iii Still the Compact of choice?

Soldato
I've been looking for a compact for when having the DSLR is nor practical / possible, including a family holiday later in the year

Been looking at a few including Nikon 1 J5, Lumix gx7c, Fuji X-M1 and Ricoh GR but more or less settled in the Sony

I was just wondering if there are any others I should be looking at (sub £650) or any reason I should hold off on the Sony (new model due, impending price drop etc)

Any help would be appreciated before I pull the trigger (or credit card out)

Cheers

Soldato
RX100, It's still the compact of choice, incredible little camera. There are other options out there but they are larger and compromise pocketablity. The LX100 is arguably not pocketable, it's not huge and could fit in to cargo short pockets or a coat pocket, but it's not as small as the RX100 which will happily slip into Jeans pockets. The LX100 will perform better in low light, but in good light the RX100 will resolve more detail with its larger pixel count sensor. They are both good choices some features on the LX100 trumps the RX100, but if size is your number one priority, the RX100 is the one.

It's likely that the mark 4 of the RX100 will be announced in the next couple of months. Rumoured to have a touch screen and a mention of perhaps a larger sensor, a little concerned by this as I really don't want the body to become any larger in size.

I'd expect the mark 3 to take a cut in price shortly afterwards, depends how urgently you need it. I jumped straight in knowing there is a new model just around the corner as I had a holiday over the Easter break. Unless the mark 4 is a lot bigger and depending on new features and performance, I'd be looking to upgrade. A touch screen would be enough for me, moving the focus selection point manually is a bit of a pain.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks all, the LX100 looks like a contender but still think the Rx100 pips it due to its size

I do like the retro look of the lx100 but again the size puts me off slightly

Thanks Steve for your comprehensive reply - that's good to know - I don't NEED the camera until we go away in August, it was the "new shiny things" factor that I could have a good play with it in the meantime

If there is a new model / price drop possibly on the way I think I'll hold fire for a few more months :)

Soldato
OP
It's not that much bigger width and height but it's a fair bit deeper / thicker (ooo errr)

Rvz2ioN.jpg

I have large hands so ergonomically a bigger camera may be better but it also has to go in a pocket of a coat or trousers

I'll have to go somewhere and have a play with both

Last edited:
Soldato
I know the feeling of the new shiney thing factor {SAS}TB :D

It's the depth that kills it with the LX100, the larger sensor requiring a larger lens.

I had a very hard time deciding between the two, at the last minute I opted for the RX100. Purely due to the smaller size, I didn't want a camera that requires a bag, when on holiday I wanted something that can go everywhere and not imped in anyway with what we were doing. I took my RX100iii everywhere, every time we left the hotel room it came with me as it wasn't a problem to bring. I can't stress how refreshing that feels, the 5Dmkiii is great but its size makes it restrictive when on a family holday. Day trips, pool side, beaches, restaurants, bars and clubs, the RX100 was there. It's really got me thinking.

I also have large hands and the small nature of the RX100 was a concern, the LX100 definitely is a lot better here with direct access with dedicated buttons and the aperture ring is a great idea. It's a shock at first when you first play with the RX100 and you realise that you dont have direct access to all the key functions, but you adapt. Within the 2nd day of continuous use I was changing aperture, ISO etc quite quickly and had made custom changes such as setting exposure compensation to the manual focus ring.

Shot from my recent break, the recent holiday-ish ones on my flickr are all from the RX100.

Lush by SteveRix, on Flickr

Caporegime
I know the feeling of the new shiney thing factor {SAS}TB :D

It's the depth that kills it with the LX100, the larger sensor requiring a larger lens.

I had a very hard time deciding between the two, at the last minute I opted for the RX100. Purely due to the smaller size, I didn't want a camera that requires a bag, when on holiday I wanted something that can go everywhere and not imped in anyway with what we were doing. I took my RX100iii everywhere, every time we left the hotel room it came with me as it wasn't a problem to bring. I can't stress how refreshing that feels, the 5Dmkiii is great but its size makes it restrictive when on a family holday. Day trips, pool side, beaches, restaurants, bars and clubs, the RX100 was there. It's really got me thinking.

I also have large hands and the small nature of the RX100 was a concern, the LX100 definitely is a lot better here with direct access with dedicated buttons and the aperture ring is a great idea. It's a shock at first when you first play with the RX100 and you realise that you dont have direct access to all the key functions, but you adapt. Within the 2nd day of continuous use I was changing aperture, ISO etc quite quickly and had made custom changes such as setting exposure compensation to the manual focus ring.

Shot from my recent break, the recent holiday-ish ones on my flickr are all from the RX100.

Lush by SteveRix, on Flickr

I have a bit of conflicted emotion with that train of thought.

On one hand, I totally understand where you come from. I travel with my 5Diii, 1 lens. so I can relate. Whilst I like a smaller camera, I know it cannot recreate what I have with my 5Diii. Sure, with landscapes like yours it matters little, but the kind of photos I feel like I am missing out the DoF, the evening shots, the quick focus and snap candids.

UvSCOS8.jpg

HUkugVx.jpg

Soldato
OP
Thanks Steve and Raymond

I'd dearly love to take my D7100 but travelling with the Mrs and 2 kids and the amount of stuff we will be lugging about daily it just isnt going to work.

If i'm by myself ill take my camera "just in case" but there are times I hadn't and really wished I had - the compact will fill that gap and get round the issue of holiday snaps

@ Moses I really dont think its an "apples with apples" comparison on a smart phone (although the cameras are good and getting better) that is only part of its function with a limited amount of options. The camera is a camera first and foremost and has infinitely more flexibility and capability

If your just using / wanting a "Point and click" / fully auto camera (which is essentially what you get on a smartphone), you wouldn't be (or wouldn't have to) spending this kind if money on a camera

If off down to London with work tomorrow and have a few hours to myself - I know there is a Calumet just behind Euston I might bob in and see if they have any to have a play :)

E : or maybe not, looks like both are out of stock - and how expensive are Calumet !

Last edited:
Caporegime
As much as I would like the sony I prefer and will buy the LX100 for holidays purely because I find the Sony like holding onto a bar of soap. I know I would drop it 50 times and as the main user would be my wife she would multiply that by 100. :D

Soldato
I have a bit of conflicted emotion with that train of thought.

On one hand, I totally understand where you come from. I travel with my 5Diii, 1 lens. so I can relate. Whilst I like a smaller camera, I know it cannot recreate what I have with my 5Diii. Sure, with landscapes like yours it matters little, but the kind of photos I feel like I am missing out the DoF, the evening shots, the quick focus and snap candids.

UvSCOS8.jpg

HUkugVx.jpg

I see what you mean, it's about compromise though.

Sometimes even a body and a single lens is too much to bring on a family holiday. I found it hard at first and difficult to swallow that the camera I have with me isn't going to touch what I've left at home. Certain shots you simply won't be able to get, DOF? Kiss it goodbye ;) (LX100 does slightly better here, but it's no FF DSLR). The low light performance leaves a lot to be desired compared to what I'm accustomed to, its clunky to use... you ask yourself why did I even go down this route!?

But, it fits in my pocket and can be taken where without interfering with what we are doing on the day, I don't ever need to look over my shoulder or worry too much about it, and it will take excellent shots that far exceed a camera phone. The RAW files also edit quite nicely and are quite tweakable.

What I really want for holidays is a camera with a FF sensor and a 1.8 16-300mm lens, the same exact size as the RX100. ;)

Soldato
If off down to London with work tomorrow and have a few hours to myself - I know there is a Calumet just behind Euston I might bob in and see if they have any to have a play :)

E : or maybe not, looks like both are out of stock - and how expensive are Calumet !

Nip to John Lewis instead, they'll have both and you won't be bothered by camera geeks there :p

Caporegime
I see what you mean, it's about compromise though.

Sometimes even a body and a single lens is too much to bring on a family holiday. I found it hard at first and difficult to swallow that the camera I have with me isn't going to touch what I've left at home. Certain shots you simply won't be able to get, DOF? Kiss it goodbye ;) (LX100 does slightly better here, but it's no FF DSLR). The low light performance leaves a lot to be desired compared to what I'm accustomed to, its clunky to use... you ask yourself why did I even go down this route!?

But, it fits in my pocket and can be taken where without interfering with what we are doing on the day, I don't ever need to look over my shoulder or worry too much about it, and it will take excellent shots that far exceed a camera phone. The RAW files also edit quite nicely and are quite tweakable.

What I really want for holidays is a camera with a FF sensor and a 1.8 16-300mm lens, the same exact size as the RX100. ;)

The compromise is my thinking behind 1 lens, a prime lens. That I don't worry about all the other focal length.

If it's a shot I can't take, I won't bother. So in the evening, if I don't take the camera out, I am not bothering taking a compact (I do have one). But if I am going to take a picture, it'll be the best one that I can get my hands on.

A compact just isn't, knowing I could have taken a better one.

I think that make sense. :)

Associate
Got my RX100 mkI recently, great pocket camera (bought mine for taking to gigs/festivals). Would imagine the newer mkIII to be even better, but as previously pointed out something bigger might be better for holiday usage.

periphery1.jpg

karnivool5.jpg

Soldato
OP
Nip to John Lewis instead, they'll have both and you won't be bothered by camera geeks there :p

Good idea ;)

For £650 you could (should) get the Fuji X100s.

I have looked (and also had it recommended), I love the looks, but the fixed lens kills it for me I'm afraid

Got my RX100 mkI recently, great pocket camera (bought mine for taking to gigs/festivals). Would imagine the newer mkIII to be even better, but as previously pointed out something bigger might be better for holiday usage.

periphery1.jpg

karnivool5.jpg

Nice shots :) and on reflection "coat pocket" size may not be an issue over "trouser pocket size" so the LX100 may well be a contender :)

Back
Top Bottom