X-Wing

Associate
saw it on sale while visiting Cannon @Retford today - extremely tempted however going to wait till the end of next month. Imperial Assault is also getting bought at some point!

Associate
While it probably deserves it's own thread, I would say of the 3 Fleet based combat system I've played over the years (Star Wars: Armada, Battlefleet Gothic & a small amount of Firestorm Armada), Star Wars Armada has the best rule set.

It manages to do pretty much everything you wish it to in a relatively intuitive way. It's excellent in the way it handles different shields/weapons per firing arc and the feeling of how much a behemoth Star Destroyers are with terrible turning circles and longer command structures. The firing first works perfectly and neither of the other 2 really give you that sense of scale.

Managed to get in 2 games yesterday, the second of those against someone else with a copy so we got a larger 300 point game. There were plenty of rules mistakes in the first game, but by the 2nd we were fairly competent and it sped up to a decent pace.

I've not played X-Wing, but am reasonably aware of the rules and I would say Armada is heavier, more fiddly and a lot less cut out for tournament play. The amount you need to pickup or move miniatures out the way to do movement measuring and shield adjustment means the game is less exact and that will always put tournament players off. Versus that it offers a very different experience as hoped and I would say the miniatures are little better (I own a couple form X-Wing). Also at 300/400 points, it is easily going to be a 2 hour game.

My biggest issue is the price, there isn't an awful lot in that box even is the painting is excellent for a mass produced game, but still, I'm happy with the purchase because the game play is so well done.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not sure yet. With X-Wing, I picked up a second starter set. I think that might be the way to go here but another starter set is expensive.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I am thinking that expansions are a better way to go, focus on collecting one fleet rather than all three like I do with X-Wing.

An Imperial Fleet as the ships are cooler...

Associate
Id be up for that though not very clued up with vassal. Dabbled in it months ago and didnt get very far but willing to give it another bash.

Soldato
I've just had one of each starter set delivered that's going away till the 25th, I heard a single one can be a bit lacking and the extra movement bits, ships and dice are very handy.

I've watched the tabletop episode and the dice tower review and I'm hoping it's something the wife and I (maybe even our 8yr old daughter) will enjoy, neither of us are big star wars fans but know enough to like the theme.

I won't be getting anything for a couple of months but is there any 'must have' ships that stand out for gameplay?

Soldato
OP
If you're not looking to get into serious competitive play, I'd pick up a couple of the smaller fighters for each side to give the game a bit of variety. Perhaps an A-Wing and B-Wing for the Rebels and a TIE Inceptor and a TIE Bomber for the Galactic Empire.

Competitive play is all about spamming the same ship over and over again, it seems. :)

Associate
Hiya,

We sell this through our business (wont say name) but as someone who plays X-Wing as well I can tell you its quite diverse in terms of ships and ever expanding.

Now what we do is we do a semi RPG x-Wing game so dont do competative play really. It does depend on faction what you are looking for?

Soldato
our first game of this was fun but got the the point of just waiting for the right dice roll to come up to finish the game off... we did 3 ties vs 2 X-wings and it was a close game but the ties won in the end.

I don't know if it was because it was our first real game past the tutorial and we were half watching a film at the same time but it took over 2 hours.

I like the idea of a few smaller ships battling a large powerful ship trying to chip away at it but I want to get all the rules down before spending any more money

Associate
Just a thought but 2 hours seems quite long for 5 ships. I would say it gets faster once you know the rules and turn stages. They do have epic play with some pretty nice big ships!.

Permabanned
Just got me and my friends into it. Played a 3v3 6 TIEs vs 3 X-wings, was great fun!

Looking forward to getting some more ships, not a fan of the fact that some of the best cards are in ships I dont like the look of though..

Associate
You can buy a lot of the cards on ebay. I think the company who makes it do it on purpose to get you to buy as many ships as possible.

Associate
Just picked up a copy of the base set for X-Wing earlier this week after watching a group at my club playing a bit of it last week. Planning on picking up a few extra ships so I can get a nice battle going with 7-8 ships engaged in combat.

I might have to get one of those custom carry cases with foam inserts though as the base box is terrible for bits moving around and having everything organised.

Soldato
Just picked up a copy of the base set for X-Wing earlier this week after watching a group at my club playing a bit of it last week. Planning on picking up a few extra ships so I can get a nice battle going with 7-8 ships engaged in combat.

I might have to get one of those custom carry cases with foam inserts though as the base box is terrible for bits moving around and having everything organised.

Definitely recommend to do so (carry case etc).

Got my stuff from Feldherr. Great guys, quality products.

I got a nice big hard case to store my stuff (ordered a second the other day!).
Also got a cool backpack carrier to transport my ships to games (when I get round to it! lol).

Associate
I quite like Feldherr's range, I've got a few of their Mini and Mini Plus cases for my roleplay miniatures and a couple of planes for Wings of Glory.

Anyone have the Star Wars Starfield Playmat and able to shed some light on the quality of it?
Or would I be better off just picking up some black fabric and using some sprays to create my own star mat?

Back
Top Bottom