BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
Scramz Some of what I think are cool Online-Enabled titles that I enjoy playing are:

Battlefield 4 / BF Hardline
Counter-Strike Global Offensive
Dirt 3 Complete Edition (non-GFWL) !!!
War Thunder
RaceRoom Racing Experience
Call Of Duty
Bordlerlands 2
Dying Light
Spintires

and I'm sure soon to be what is GTA Online ! within GTA V

Man of Honour
I echo that, it's a sensational monitor, could not be happier with mine.

Best settings I found for me personally which I've now settled on are

Blur Reduction - Off
Black Equaliser - 5
Colour Vibrance - 12
Low Blue Light - Off
Instant Mode - On
Auto Game Mode - Off

Picture - Gamer 1
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 50
Sharpness - 7
Gamma - 5
Colour Temp - Normal
AMA - High
Dynamic Contrast - Off

Just a ref for you if needed.

Using these myself, very nice :)

Soldato
Right... Well...

*Big announcement*

I'm currently reviewing this monitor, so I guess I technically don't own it and shouldn't be posting in here. I will keep this brief. I am really enjoying the build quality of this thing and find it is much easier to achieve a respectable image with just OSD tweaks than many older XL Series models. So that's two huge plusses already.

I won't be answering any questions on the monitor here, you'll have to wait for the review. But there is something I need your help with. And that is, if you guys have this connected to a GPU that is FreeSync-capable via DP 1.2, does your AMA setting actually do anything? It seems that you can't adjust AMA and it is set to a somewhat lower than optimal value (for 144Hz) that you're stuck with if you intend to use FreeSync. This is easy to verify by going to this page and cycling through the AMA settings. This could have a lot to do with the 'FreeSync ghosting' thing that some other websites were reporting. I shall be chasing this up with AMD to see what's what.

Associate
Yeah buddy I think I remember reading that AMA is disabled when FreeSync is enabled, I'm not sure if this is only for the time being, maybe AMDMatt can chime in on this one? I love the way FreeSync makes the Images displayed appear way more fluid!! 144FPS on War Thunder using AMD FreeSync is absoutely incredible!! (R9 290X) bring on CrossFireX FreeSync!!! woohoo!!

Man of Honour
guys, i'm currently talking to BenQ about the situation but to avoid any confusion here, this is the issue as it stands:

If you connect the XL2730Z to a FreeSync system then the AMA function (overdrive circuit) is disabled. It doesnt matter whether you have FreeSync ticked or not in the graphics card settings, it is still turned off. If you "break" the end to end freeSync system by doing something like switching to DVI instead of DisplayPort, or using a non-FreeSync supporting drive, AMA behaves as it should. obviously if you use the screen from an NVIDIA /Intel card or a non-FreeSync card then it behaves as it should.

AMA High is much faster than AMA off, as with it off there is a lot more blurring (hence the reported blurring problems of FreeSync). So at the moment connecting the screen to a FreeSync system is not great, as although you get the benefits of dynamic refresh rate, you have much worse response times and more possible blurring.

This is apparently an issue affecting all FreeSync screens and will require both an AMD driver fix (being worked on i'm told) and a firmware update for the FreeSync screen. i'm pending info from benQ about what is needed for the XL2730Z and how that will work.

Associate
Are you finding the blur/trailing/ghosting bothersome with your XL2730Z and FreeSync out of interest? I'm really quite curious to see whether this is a real issue for general users. :)

I do notice it, makes my belly feel weird :eek: but have been getting used to it. Driving around in GTA5 is good, very smooth but if I look at the grass swaying in the wind, there is ghosting. Fast paced 2D games ghost like crazy and i've played with the settings a great deal. I'm running on a Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 OC 4Gb.

Last edited:
Soldato
no wonder I've not witnessed any ghosting/blurring on my screen then, for me it's absolutely incredible. But reason is, I've not used Freesync yet due to my GPU's and just been using it as a 1440p 144hz screen. Lets hope by the time I get a 390x, the Freesync issue has been sorted, it does sound like it could be quite nasty to see. Thank god I've not been able to try Freesync yet lol.

Man of Honour
no wonder I've not witnessed any ghosting/blurring on my screen then, for me it's absolutely incredible. But reason is, I've not used Freesync yet due to my GPU's and just been using it as a 1440p 144hz screen. Lets hope by the time I get a 390x, the Freesync issue has been sorted, it does sound like it could be quite nasty to see. Thank god I've not been able to try Freesync yet lol.

no, it will behave perfectly normally unless you connect it with DisplayPort to a Freesync graphics card, with Freesync enabled drivers installed.

Man of Honour
I don't notice it with freesync tbh only on that alien moving across the screen at high speed do I see any ghosting.

the response times with AMA off are still reasonable. i measured 8.5ms G2G average (with no overshoot) which is on par with most of the best IPS-type displays which many people use for gaming. With AMA on high the response times drop to around 3ms G2G (with moderate overshoot) so they are definitely better. if you switch to DVI (or something other than DP) and view the UFO tests again, you will; see some improvement switching between AMA off and high. premium is way too aggressive though and has a nasty overshoot trail.

but on the other hand, if you find it fine, i wouldnt encourage you to go looking for any issue, just enjoy the screen :)

Back
Top Bottom