Struggling with the Witcher - any tips?

Soldato
Due to the growing anticipation about Witcher 3 Wild Hunt I thought I would give the first two games a try. So far I'm having a few issues with The Witcher Enhanced Edition and just wondered whether I'm missing something obvious?

1) Combat system: This feels a bit naff and requires holding down the mouse button a lot - to the point where after playing for a while it actually becomes uncomfortable. Is this just the way it is or am I doing it wrong?

2) Controller usage: There doesn't seem to be any native controller support and I'm wondering whether the game would play better with one and if so is there a recommended third party control mapper/settings?

3) Crashes - I've done some searches and tried some suggested fixes (such as running Windows in compatibility mode) however the game still has a tendency to crash to a black screen at the end of a fight sequence.

Or should I just skip it and give Witcher 2 a go instead?

Soldato
I don't remember having to hold the button down while fighting but it has been a while. The combat is a bit clunky in it, but its a good game and worth sticking with it for the story.
Witcher 2 has a much improved combat, UI and is generally better but I'd still finish 1 first.

Associate
I am also playing through the Witcher again before W3 comes out.
You don't hold the mouse button down, you just click on the enemy.

As you level up sword skills you will be able to chain sword strikes together.
I can't remember if it is different on lower difficulties.

But on the hardest difficulty, as you approach the end of the sword attack animation the sword will be on fire for a moment.

This is the moment to click again.

I think maybe on lower difficulties the cursor also has a flaming sword symbol.

Soldato
Ah yes I remember it now. Yes the icon changes to a flame icon when you need to press attack. You also need to make sure you are using the correct sword and stance or you do little/no damage.

Soldato
Ive tried the witcher several times and due to its age and older concepts i just couldnt get into it as well as i would have having played it when it launched

So i accepted defeat as i wasnt enjoying it too much. Ive played through the witcher 2 several times though, its like a different game. Much more in line with newer game mechanics and visually will still blow people away imo

Soldato
In the first game the combat is basically timed clicks. Every time you see the flaming sword icon, click to continue the combo. Also have a keybind handy for changing sword style and don't forget to use your signs.

Permabanned
Except for the boss fights. Persevered through the Kayran, but just threw my arms up in disgust when the next one turned out to be just as bad.

Lots of people had issues with that fight but I don't really get it, it was really easy once you see what it does movement wise. I really enjoyed it but hey maybe it is because I am a fanboy.

Soldato
Lots of people had issues with that fight but I don't really get it, it was really easy once you see what it does movement wise. I really enjoyed it but hey maybe it is because I am a fanboy.

I don't think I see 'tells' the way a lot of people do in boss fights, unless they're really obvious. Was the same with Dark Souls, drove me spare :) I've noticed that any game of that kind that's highly rated, I don't get on with at all.

Soldato
I don't think I see 'tells' the way a lot of people do in boss fights, unless they're really obvious. Was the same with Dark Souls, drove me spare :) I've noticed that any game of that kind that's highly rated, I don't get on with at all.

That's a shame, its really worth playing through. Have a look on youtube for the fight your stuck at to see how its done.

Soldato
I think you need to play the first to appreciate the second tbh. Especially as the story is very linked between the two. Combat is different in the Witcher 2 but actually harder in many ways, I really feel it helps to complete the first one.

(Plus its a good game)

Soldato
Read the manual, it should give you info you need. Ingame journal also has plenty of info.

Combat for me was most fun on hard, the flame sword icon disappears and you have to time your attacks through other cues (sound, intuition) - more fun.
Make sure you always select correct combat style (group for more enemies, fast for fast enemies, etc) and correct sword (silver - supernaturals, steel - humans).
Make sure to use alchemy, oils, potions, signs as needed.
Make sure to move during combat, you can jump, make somersaults etc.

Enjoy two of some of the best games ever.

Back
Top Bottom