The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Soldato
I don't recall seeing 'twisting' per se, but that might perhaps be an artifact of the ghosting. I'd certainly see images of whatever was on the outside of the window whenever I dragged one, so if that was a certain shape then sure, I could describe what I used to see as 'twisting'.

it happens on any background even just a all while background.. theres no ghosting around the window when moving but it slightly out shapes the window (if you get what i mean) it's seems to be the bottom half of the window or whatever your moving

Associate
In other words, a trailing edge the same colour as the window you're moving, sticks out where it would not on another display? I think that's the band of colour distortion that others have reported (which I noticed, but inconsistently).

Soldato
That would be tearing. Do you have multiple screens connected? If so do you observe this with just the Philips connected?

i have my tv and Philips connected but the tv is off in CCC so surely that wouldn't do this? i haven't tried unpluging the tv yet

also this doesn't happen on the tv.

edit: just unplugged the tv and it still does it

Last edited:
Soldato
If I am thinking of the same thing that you are trying to describe, it's not tearing, but more in line with the rolling shutter effect on cameras, which shows against vertical lines.

Something like the further down the page it is, the longer it takes to update, meaning the bottom of the window is moving slightly behind the top.

I realise this is a terribad description, but too tired fro my brain to make sense of it for others :D

Soldato
If I am thinking of the same thing that you are trying to describe, it's not tearing, but more in line with the rolling shutter effect on cameras, which shows against vertical lines.

Something like the further down the page it is, the longer it takes to update, meaning the bottom of the window is moving slightly behind the top.

I realise this is a terribad description, but too tired fro my brain to make sense of it for others :D
yes it's like the bottom half of the window is moving slightly behind the top half.

im guessing people should report the issues they having so phillps can fix them in future ones. i know most of these issues are not because it's a VA panel cause my tv is a VA panel and don't have these issues

Associate
Yeah I experienced this too - lumped it in with all the others. As I kind of hinted at before, in my honest opinion only the brightness uniformity and viewing angles are definitively issues with the panel - I think a lot of the other stuff going on may well be to do with the display controller instead. I rather get the feeling that it's basically a standard 40" 4K TV panel, not inherently good, but not inherently bad either, but in converting it to a PC monitor, despite featuring SST they've cheaped out on the electronics and ended up with something that doesn't do the job. It's almost the kind of issue that you might expect to be resolved in a newer hardware revision but I'd be surprised if this model sells enough units to actually justify it, given how few of them Philips seemed to actually produce, it can only be in the hundreds I'd have thought.

Soldato
I don't have the Philips connected any more so can't see if I can observe anything similar. I have noticed various issues related to inversion artifacts, slow pixel responsiveness and PWM artifacts. Inversion artifacts can occur only on specific parts of the screen, which could possibly be contributing to what you're seeing. On my unit they occurred throughout, however. I will be exploring all of these in the review which will likely be published in mid-late May. I actually felt that the gaming performance was quite decent really, which is probably why not too many people complain about these 'issues'. On the desktop, though, I could see why people might notice things like this and find them unusual.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could you explain 'inversion artifacts' a bit further? I don't think I've seen the term before :)

I've mentioned them several times on this thread, but essentially they manifest themselves on this monitor as a sort of vertical interlacing pattern during rapid motion. This is exactly what you seemed to be describing seeing on muzzle flashes and elsewhere ('pixilation' you may describe it as). They are caused by imperfect voltage regulation and are most common on high refresh rate models (120Hz+) but can, as in this case, occur on 60Hz models.

Associate
Apologies, must have missed those posts. Yes, vertical interlacing patterns is one of the things I spotted and is what I was trying to describe as 'horizontal lines' when moving windows that is an effect I just don't see on any of my other displays - thinking about it, interlacing is a good way of describing it :)

Thanks - all of this does make me feel a bit better about ditching the Philips and getting my UP3214Q out again, but with regard to the games performance, I agree about it being less 'bad' than the desktop experience, but issues with rapid brightness changes, e.g. flashing light effects did make themselves painfully obvious with exactly the same issues seen at the desktop, and once I noticed them, I could never not notice them.

Associate
What attracted my attention: sometimes, when shutting down the computer I hear kind of a double clicking from the monitor, sometimes also when booting and sometimes at reboot. The Monitor is doing "click clack". It is not always, only some times, what seems strange to me. Has anyone else recogniced this?

Thx, Sam

Associate
Thank you for your answers. I actually think it is the monitor, but I will try to verify that again. As long as the screen keeps working flawlessly, I dont care much about the clicking...although it is kinda anoying not to know, where it comes from... Thanks for the hint with the peripherals and drives. I'll check that today after work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom