The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
TVs are known to click when going into standby so it's not something that'd surprise me from a monitor that is basically a TV in disguise, but on the other hand as said, I don't recall mine doing it and seemingly other people don't either. If it all works it's not something you could take it back for but it's something to keep an eye on in case it is a precursor of an actual defect.

Soldato
TVs are known to click when going into standby so it's not something that'd surprise me from a monitor that is basically a TV in disguise, but on the other hand as said, I don't recall mine doing it and seemingly other people don't either. If it all works it's not something you could take it back for but it's something to keep an eye on in case it is a precursor of an actual defect.

These aren't TVs in disguise.

Soldato
It's a TV body, TV stand and very similar to a TV panel, so it kind of is :)

Not really no. There's a fine line between a TV and a monitor and it's not related to its size, appearance or stand.

It's as simple as whether it has a TV tuner or not. If it does, it's a TV regardless of size, if it doesn't, it's a monitor, regardless of size.

Associate
That's being a bit pedantic - I'm fully aware it's not a TV, hence the 'in disguise' part. My point being, I do wonder how many other electronic components the BDM4065UC might share with TVs - particularly important as Philips do not make many PC displays and most of their display products are actual TVs.

Soldato
It's not pedantic at all, the point is that there isn't really all that between a monitor and a TV hardware wise outside of the ability to directly receive tune into TV broadcasting

Soldato
What attracted my attention: sometimes, when shutting down the computer I hear kind of a double clicking from the monitor, sometimes also when booting and sometimes at reboot. The Monitor is doing "click clack". It is not always, only some times, what seems strange to me. Has anyone else recogniced this?

Thx, Sam

Sounds like the built in speakers. If you are not using them turn the volume down.

Soldato
Ouch!

That was the price I got it when first available, and I knew I was getting gouged then.

Normal price now £799???

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone at that price.

At the £689, it's still overpriced, but I can recommend as long as people understand they are still getting ripped off a bit.

I guess that's cause they are still hard to get hold for the most part.

Associate
The original price was somewhere around the £650 mark, yes. However, if it fulfilled its promises, I'd have no qualms recommending it at £800, or even £900. A 40" 2160p display was a force to be reckoned with, especially with the contrast ratio that it has - all the multimedia playback prowess of a proper TV [minus the tuner of course] but a fine enough dpi to use at the desktop fairly comfortably. For me though, having actually used it, knowing what I know now even at the original £650 price I'd have been ripped off. Still, each to their own - quite a few people seem to like it ;)

Associate
Ouch!

That was the price I got it when first available, and I knew I was getting gouged then.

Normal price now £799???

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone at that price.

At the £689, it's still overpriced, but I can recommend as long as people understand they are still getting ripped off a bit.

I guess that's cause they are still hard to get hold for the most part.

Saw the deal thread and got excited...until I saw the price. No thanks, not really a deal.

Associate
Ordered one today for a very good price so I'm really happy. Cannot wait for this, I've had my eyes on it for ages and decided to go for it, couldn't resist at that price.

New computer check, 4k monitor check, just need a GPU now and I'm all set :)

I know that playing games on this monitor at 1080p is good, but what about 1440p? does it scale ok at that resolution?

I'm just thinking if some games don't run great at 4k, I'd want to try it at 1440p if possible so I have the best of both worlds incase my future GPU struggles on newer titles in the next few years.

Last edited:
Associate
Same, I've been waiting for the price premium to be removed but sadly the mad mark up continues. Over £123 cheaper elsewhere is just too much to ignore.

I know what you mean, I was hoping OCUK would perhaps price match or at least lower the premium since it is that much cheaper elsewhere, would have preferred to give my money to OCUK aswell

Associate
So I have one of these. Only thing thats bothering me is that its actually too big? The vertical space means I have to move my head and windows snap doesn't make things useful sizes.

I thought it would be a good alternative to 3x24" screens for sofware dev, but the lack of it wrapping around, and the uncomfortable height leave me questioning the size. I think the lg34 ultrawide (which I had too many probs with to keep) may have been a more practical size.

Anyway just a heads up to anyone else considering this screen. For me at least, it turns out a 'wall of monitor' is maybe less practical than I had hoped.

I am going to try to get a stand to lower it a bit as that may help. Your eyes should be near the top of a screen when sat, and mine are in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom