• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I have a strong suspicion this would be very, very situational and completely dependant on the code being executed. Some instructions just don't make sense in parallel, and if you force it in without the original programmer having expected it, all sorts of weirdness might break loose :S

It would obviously never be engineered to "break loose" :p This is one of the best things about digital systems, they can be made fault tolerant.

You might be surprised at how much "second guessing" already goes on in a CPU in order to keep it working. I'm particularly thinking of branch prediction and pipelining.

Soldato
OP
As long as AMD can offer me a CPU that's an all around upgrade in terms of performance over my current CPU, then I'd jump on it.

Unfortunately AMD haven't offered me that for like half a decade :p

+1

I really don't think they can afford to launch a flop this time around. I'm expecting the new CPU's / APU's in 2016 to be a worthwhile purchase.

Only problem is there isn't much in the meantime, Carrizo etc don't look that impressive VS Intel. I think if the 2016 chips are good enough AMD will re take a lot of market share. A lot of us like yourself are waiting for AMD to give us something worthwhile and then they will get the sales..

Soldato
Would love to go back to an AMD CPU.

Intel has just gotten boring.

Now, if Skylake had gone hex core, I might have felt a bit different, but yet more quad core HT... It's just been the same old, same old for years now.

Ok, X99 has octo and hex.... but the price....

Want AMD to come out fighting, and not do annoying things like limit PCI-E lanes purely to push more expensive chips.

Of course, I will probably end up getting Skylake anyway. Why? Because Gigabyte offered the Buy one get Two on the BK boards. And if I can get another high end board for nada... well, it's too tempting to resist. Can't be any worse than the G1 wifi BK.

Associate
Because i prefer AMD as a company than Intel? Intel have had market domination for far too long, same as Nvidia in the gpu sector and i prefer to support the little guy, without AMD we would all be paying a lot more for CPU and GPU's

that is why.

I can see (and like) where you are coming from but I just don't see the point in jumping ship to gain no performance...it just doesn't make sense to me but then again I suppose it doesn't have to make sense and as this is a enthusiast forum I understand the need to tinker.:)

Caporegime
Unfortunately Amd cant even compete with intels ancient Bloomfield x58 range, nevermind the current gimped haswell range. And shortly broadwell is coming out on the Z97 platform, followed soon after by skylake, still only 4c/8t on the 6700k. Performance close to the more expensive X99 5820k hex core. But boards will be a lot cheaper. S939 A64 were the last good chips AMD made, but then along came intels c2d and q range.

Soldato
Unfortunately Amd cant even compete with intels ancient Bloomfield x58 range, nevermind the current gimped haswell range. And shortly broadwell is coming out on the Z97 platform, followed soon after by skylake, still only 4c/8t on the 6700k. Performance close to the more expensive X99 5820k hex core. But boards will be a lot cheaper. S939 A64 were the last good chips AMD made, but then along came intels c2d and q range.

Fully agree. Intel is steadily improving their CPU's every generation, which simply further highlights the night and day difference between AMD/Intel.

I also find it quite amusing that some believe Zen is going to equalize or surpass Intel's performance, and even that Zen will come sooner than expected....

It's almost certain that Intel will have released Cannonlake (die shrink of Skylake) and Skylake-E by the time Zen arrives. Goodluck competing with 10nm.

I don't think that everyone knows how far behind AMD really are.

Caporegime
The thing is the Bulldozer / Vishera architecture its self is old. not as old Bloomfield but older than Ivy Bridge, nearly as old as Sandy Bridge.

AMD have been working on a new arch for years, hell they even have CPU's out now on Mobile platform that are faster and more power efficient than Intel's Ivy Bridge small core.

The Mobile form of Excavator about to be released looks 'on paper' very impressive, of course reality will tell but it looks good.

What they don't have is the money to release revisions every year on every platform.

They are working on a Desktop part. I don't see any benefit to writing them off before we know anything at all about anything.

PS, i had a Bloomfield x58, multithreaded it is NOT as fast as an FX-83##, not close and hot as hell. its a good chip and i like it. but its not all that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The thing is the Bulldozer / Vishera architecture its self is old. not as old Bloomfield but older than Ivy Bridge, nearly as old as Sandy Bridge.

Vishera came out after Ivy bridge, Bulldozer came out only 5 months before Ivy Bridge. Sandybridge is 18 months older than Vishera. If you put it into perspective, Bloomfield is older than Phenom II.

AMD have just done nothing since 2012 though as far as releasing a "high end" CPU.

And I have no idea what you're talking about as regards mobile chips? AMD ain't got anything, that's why it's stupidly hard (Impossible) to buy an ultra thin Laptop with AMD (Laptops that were available with Ivybridge) or even tablets (Again, available with Ivybridge) and even then, Ivybridge was 3 years ago now. Intel now have a full X86 PC in a flipping HDMI stick (With a year old mobile chip!)

And as much as Jaguar looks "good enough" it's awol in the market that Baytrail is in. Not to mention Intel have a new tablet CPU anyway that's in this tablet ; https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/products/surface-3. That is like nigh on the perfect tablet.

As far as my knowledge goes, there's one Jaguar touch screen Laptop. Some Sammy (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1378-page1.html). In those same devices today we're getting Broadwell CPU's. I've used that Jaguar Laptop, unpowered it's 1GHZ on the CPU cores, powered I only ever saw it get 1.2GHZ. Was perhaps behind my Vivobook (When I had the SSD in) as not only did it come out afterwards, it cost more, lesser build quality, lesser performance. Buying it brand new, there's one left on Amazon, and it's 589 quid. You can get better Intel powered Laptops at that price with FHD IPS displays.

There was perhaps one AMD powered Ultrabook worth something ; http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/U38N/overview/. This Ultrabook was expensive though, there was a time when the stock was going decently cheap ; 500 quid or so. But the CPU used to throttle a lot by reviews. There's nothing like this now though.

I'm quite open to the notion of buying AMD, but AMD makes it impossible for me to do so?.
In my PC I've got a 4770K, there's no AMD CPU equivalent (Just as there was no CPU equivalent when I had a 4670K).
I have a Surface 3 Pro Tablet, again, there's no tablet equivalent (Even ignoring the aspect ratio/resolution, I'd settle on 16:9/16:10 1980/X) with an AMD CPU.
I have an Acer Aspire S7 Ultrabook, again, there's no equivalent with an AMD CPU. This is my Laptop ; http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.M3EEK.003

Hell, even if I wanted a replacement to my Surface 2 ARM, there's no AMD CPU in a tablet with equivalent spec. That replacement could now however be the previously mentioned S3 none Pro.

Last edited:
Associate
I was with AMD a couple of days back & I have seem their plans & Roadmap

They will be fine - plus I expect Jim Keller & his Team to pull something nice together

Soldato
OP
Fully agree. Intel is steadily improving their CPU's every generation, which simply further highlights the night and day difference between AMD/Intel.

I also find it quite amusing that some believe Zen is going to equalize or surpass Intel's performance, and even that Zen will come sooner than expected....

It's almost certain that Intel will have released Cannonlake (die shrink of Skylake) and Skylake-E by the time Zen arrives. Goodluck competing with 10nm.

Intel is barely improving between each generation.

Skylake Skydozer (As Orangey calls it) looks pretty woeful, another gen with virtually no performance increase, but need to buy new mobo and memory to run it.

We all need to hope AMD can compete with their new architecture, because if they don't Intel can just keep coasting and releasing 2% - 5% upgrades each year and reinforcing their price points without really giving us anything new..

CPU space is the most boring it's ever been. I really hope AMD can comeback strong. Things need a shakeup..

Soldato
OP
I was with AMD a couple of days back & I have seem their plans & Roadmap

They will be fine - plus I expect Jim Keller & his Team to pull something nice together

Yeah Jim Keller was there back in the day when AMD were a force. I've got faith that whatever is coming next will be night and day improvement over the Bulldozer architecture and it's offspring :p

Soldato

10nm* will be bungled just like 22** & 14nm***. No uplift, even worse characteristics in some cases, but by all means keep hanging on in quiet desperation for the next node silver bullet.

Intel aren't going to make a CPU that's actually noticeably faster. AMD have plenty of time to catch up and aren't wasting tens of billions of their own money on developing nodes. TSMC are gearing up for 10nm next year, so there goes Intel's lead. Oh and Cannonlake/SKL-E won't be here until 2017.

Back
Top Bottom