The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Soldato
:confused: who says?

if your eyes are near the top of a screen then you'll be looking down slightly.. i'd say middle is best.

Ergonomically speaking, 'experts' will tell you that it is best for your neck, back and overall posture if your eye-line is roughly in line with the top third of the screen. You shouldn't have them in line with the very top of the screen.

To be honest, the best viewing position is one you're comfortable with. :) There is definitely a difference between the size of monitors for which this advice was issued and this beast of a monitor. It may not be practical for you to sit in an ergonomically correct position, although personally I find it easy enough to keep my eyes level with the top third of this screen rather than having to lower them to the mid-section.

Associate
I've read that people are using this as an ultrawide monitor 21:9. Is this just a case of changing the setting in Windows/Monitor menu?

Is this worth doing for immersive games? or is the native 4k resolution @ 40 inches better?

Associate
Only one game I switch to 21:9 (Shadow of Mordor) because your character takes up less screen space (no FOV adjustment in game). Otherwise it's more immersive to use the whole screen.

Associate
Equivalent to about a 37" ultrawide.
Somebody wrote this on how to create the custom res:-

Sure! If you have an Nvidia GPU then just go into your NVIDIA Control Panel, then into "Display" - "Change Resolution" and click [Customise...] button.

Then in the just opened window click the [Create Custom Resolution...] button, accept any warnings messages and then under the Display mode set your desired resolution. For 21:9 resolutions you can do 3440x1440 or even better 3840x1648 to fill the entire screen horizontally. Leave the timings untouched (automatic) and click [Test].

You should then have this resolution selectable in your system. You can create as many custom resolutions as you want.
Make sure you have your monitor's "Picture Format" set to 1:1 and also disable scaling in Nvidia Control Panel by going to "Display" - "Adjust desktop size and position" and selecting the 'No scaling' option and checking the box "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs".

Associate
I recommend using 3840x1607 if you're going for 21:9, since 1440p looks pretty bad on this screen (unless you do 1:1 which will result in a smaller viewable area). You can just add the resolution with Nvidia control panel or Custom Resolution Utility if you use AMD.

Associate
That's brilliant thanks a lot for that, I hopefully get my monitor next week so I'll play around with settings.

Pantsu do you mean 1440p looks bad when in 21:9 ultrawide mode on the monitor? because people say that this panel scales well at 1440p at it's standard 16:9.

I'll try 3840x1648 and 3840x1607 instead then.

Do any of you use these settings for gaming sometimes?

Associate
It's of course up to anyone's preference what the actual ratio is. 3840x1607 is simply the same ratio as the 34" 3440x1440. The important point is to use 3840 so it doesn't scale the picture, just limits it vertically.

I said 1440p looks bad a few post back, but what I meant by that is 3440x1440, if you scale it to full width instead of 1:1. 2560x1440 does scale better when stretched to full screen.

Associate
I just realised this monitor doesn't have a DVI connection?

• VGA (Analogue)
  • DisplayPort
  • mini DisplayPort
  • HDMI (digital, HDCP)
  • MHL-HDMI (digital, HDCP)

At the moment I have a TV, monitor and projector connected to my computer.

• PC - TV (primary screen) via DVI/HDMI cable
  • Monitor (secondary screen) via VGA
  • Projector - (for films/tv) via HDMI

Specifically a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600.

And in the Philips manual it says "HDMI: 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz, 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz"

So according to that I can use a DVI Dual link to HDMI 1.3v cable to get 1440p/1080p in the mean time til I get a new GPU?

That would work right..

Last edited:
Soldato
I just realised this monitor doesn't have a DVI connection?

• VGA (Analogue)
  • DisplayPort
  • mini DisplayPort
  • HDMI (digital, HDCP)
  • MHL-HDMI (digital, HDCP)

At the moment I have a TV, monitor and projector connected to my computer.

• PC - TV (primary screen) via DVI/HDMI cable
  • Monitor (secondary screen) via VGA
  • Projector - (for films/tv) via HDMI

Specifically a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600.

And in the Philips manual it says "HDMI: 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz, 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz"

So according to that I can use a DVI Dual link to HDMI 1.3v cable to get 1440p/1080p in the mean time til I get a new GPU?

That would work right..

u can use HDMI to DVI Dual link or even mini DisplayPort to DVI Dual link

Last edited:
Associate
I see, that's alright then, I'm sure I read somewhere that HDMI doesn't do 1440p but the manual says it does.

I'll grab one then, it'll be fine with a new gen GPU, least that will have displayport and some HDMI ports.

Cheers for the help mate :)

Associate
I've just got my monitor, thankfully no scratches or damage.

I have a few questions if you guys could help me please :)

1. Are there any optimal settings I should be using?

2. Also one thing that's happening, every now and then when I switch to the desktop the screen goes black/turns off for a second then comes back on?

3. When I change the resolution to 1440p for example the screen size shrinks inside the TV to represent the resolution, why isn't it still using the full screen, there are black bars all around with the screen in the centre :s

4. When I change to 1080p the quality is terrible, is this normal?

Not sure what's wrong, anyone else aware of this problem?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just got my monitor, thankfully no scratches or damage.

I have a few questions if you guys could help me please :)

1. Are there any optimal settings I should be using?

2. Also one thing that's happening, every now and then when I switch to the desktop the screen goes black/turns off for a second then comes back on?

3. When I change the resolution to 1440p for example the screen size shrinks inside the TV to represent the resolution, why isn't it still using the full screen, there are black bars all around with the screen in the centre :s

4. When I change to 1080p the quality is terrible, is this normal?

Not sure what's wrong, anyone else aware of this problem?

Can't comment on 1 and 2 but if you are using DP it could be cable quality. What type of GPU?

3. Make sure scaling is on in your GPU drivers.

4. Despite the common misconception that 1080p looks great because 1 pixel = 4, it doesn't. It still looks crap in my experience. 1440 looks much better IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom