• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

maj

maj

Soldato
Well got a monitor 2nd hand today and I still get the graphic artifact on POST that I've mentioned before so looks like my R9 290 is the problem. I knew the monitor worked before I bought it and can also rule it out being the hdmi to vga adapter I was using as I'm using display port this time. Looks like it's RMA time.

Associate
I used to to get that graphical artifact on post too, do you have a Gigabyte or Z68 motherboard by any chance? I removed the graphic logo in the bios and all was fine. Other than that issue which doesnt affect anything the card always ran perfect.

maj

maj

Soldato
I used to to get that graphical artifact on post too, do you have a Gigabyte or Z68 motherboard by any chance? I removed the graphic logo in the bios and all was fine. Other than that issue which doesnt affect anything the card always ran perfect.

I have gigabyte mono yeah but not Z68 chipset. If I wasn't on my phone I'd find the exact post where I first mentioned it so I could compare it you yours. This only started happening since I moved to AMD. Nvidia card I had before worked fine until it died. The screen would randomly go black and loose input from the card too. Not sure if this monitor has sorted that or not. I'll try turning the logo off in BIOS like you suggested.

Caporegime
Highest I've seen is 77 degrees. However GTA V keeps crashing to a black screen so I don't know if that's the game or the cards or something. I'm trying out lego batman 3 which is fine but in fairness doesn't exactly push the system. Ill try another game and see if it's a gta problem or what
Yeah so heaven just died about 10 seconds in so clearly it's something going on with the cards
The issues you've described could be caused by over tightening or a short somewhere.
Back from my holidays and managed to get some time at the pc today. Slightly loosened the cooler on the core and have successfully done two runs of 3d mark with no black screen. Ill see how it goes after some gaming this evening

:)

maj

maj

Soldato
Getting annoyed now. New monitor and 290 still black screens randomly whenever I'm browsing the web. It has to be card now surely? Since I'm using a display port cable directly from card to monitor.

maj

maj

Soldato
H9ZyE1u.jpg

Annoyingly if I do have to RMA it, my mobo chipset doesn't have onboard graphics so I'd be without a computer in the time it was away.

Caporegime
H9ZyE1u.jpg

Annoyingly if I do have to RMA it, my mobo chipset doesn't have onboard graphics so I'd be without a computer in the time it was away.

Copy my settings exactly. Save these settings to profile one and apply profile one using the 2d/3d profiles tab. Test for one week of gaming. If the problems are fixed, your gpu memory is unstable at the stock clocks and should be RMA'd.

bX7bsGJ.jpg

Soldato
Installing Corsair HG10 with H75 next week on my 290 and then following week if all go's to plan on the 290x..

Result so far from my reading is the HG10 is very good.
I have the HG10 with H105 on my 290x, and it's awesome. I haven't seen the GPU temp exceed 40C on stock yet; when upping voltage and overclock that it would get closer toward high 40~50C max :p

VRM temp is also very good as well.

Soldato
I have the HG10 with H105 on my 290x, and it's awesome. I haven't seen the GPU temp exceed 40C on stock yet; when upping voltage and overclock that it would get closer toward high 40~50C max :p

VRM temp is also very good as well.

Can't wait to give it a try mate, just waiting on stock fans to be delivered before I order.

Am now been thinking if I should buy the H90 instead I could still fit two these in front of my case.

Back
Top Bottom