• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

maj

maj

Soldato
Copy my settings exactly. Save these settings to profile one and apply profile one using the 2d/3d profiles tab. Test for one week of gaming. If the problems are fixed, your gpu memory is unstable at the stock clocks and should be RMA'd.

bX7bsGJ.jpg

Will give those a try thanks.

edit: My Afterburner looks different to yours and I don't have those 2d/3d options and my tabs are different too.

Are they stock clocks? Try lowing the memory down to 1250

Yep completely stock clocks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't wait to give it a try mate, just waiting on stock fans to be delivered before I order.

Am now been thinking if I should buy the H90 instead I could still fit two these in front of my case.
IMO the H75 is fine. Its temp for the 290 is probably going to be in the 50C~60C range with as oppose to my H105 at 40~50C range. Overclocking, my H105 won't offer much (if any) benefit of pushing further comparing to the H75...the only realistic benefit of having a better AIO jump means you can have it quieter with the fan spinning at lower rpm.

Soldato
IMO the H75 is fine. Its temp for the 290 is probably going to be in the 50C~60C range with as oppose to my H105 at 40~50C range. Overclocking, my H105 won't offer much (if any) benefit of pushing further comparing to the H75...the only realistic benefit of having a better AIO jump means you can have it quieter with the fan spinning at lower rpm.

Thanks so do you think they not much a difference between 120mm rad and 140mm.. Tbh 60c I'll be more than happy. Atm gta5 is really pushing my GPU's into the mid 80s I can get them to stay low by looking frame rate to say 60fps but running 144hz kinder pointless.

I also really like the look of the HG10 think it's very clean how corsair have designed it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks so do you think they not much a difference between 120mm rad and 140mm.. Tbh 60c I'll be more than happy. Atm gta5 is really pushing my GPU's into the mid 80s I can get them to stay low by looking frame rate to say 60fps but running 144hz kinder pointless.

I also really like the look of the HG10 think it's very clean how corsair have designed it.
Having a better cooler could do one of the two followings:
1. Achieving lower temp at the same noise level
or
2. Achieving same temp at a lower noise level.

Permabanned
Soldato
So I picked up a Matrix version of the R9 290...massive cooler...hoped it would do the job but the temps seem to be crazy.

I've been hitting 90C in Game of Thrones (Telltale one) and 90C in the Witcher 3 as well...definitely shouldn't be the case in both surely?

I do have a well ventilated case so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Caporegime
So I picked up a Matrix version of the R9 290...massive cooler...hoped it would do the job but the temps seem to be crazy.

I've been hitting 90C in Game of Thrones (Telltale one) and 90C in the Witcher 3 as well...definitely shouldn't be the case in both surely?

I do have a well ventilated case so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

That card does run hot for some reason despite the cooler it has, for cooler running cards the sapphire tri-x and vapor-x are probably your best bet.

Soldato
That card does run hot for some reason despite the cooler it has, for cooler running cards the sapphire tri-x and vapor-x are probably your best bet.

If that's the case that's alright as I know the R9 290's have to stay around 94C max :p

I'll try setting up a fan profile and see how I go with it.

Soldato
Man, I received a Vapor-X 290 yesterday and it's having the random black screen issue that a lot of people have reported. It seems absolutely fine under gaming load. It's passed FireStrike and Valley and I've played about five hours of GTA V, but whilst randomly browsing the internet it's now just outright crashed to a black screen three times.

Seems to be taking the whole system down, rather than just not outputting a signal, as I had music on in the background which stopped and it needed a hard reset to fix. Ironically, it happened for the third time right in the middle of me filling out the RMA form on the site of the retailer I bought it from.

Properly cleaned out my old drivers before installing it, using out of the box clocks, everything else in the system I know works fine. It's a real bummer, as £180 seemed like an awesome deal for this card, and I've been delighted with its performance in games. Three random crashes during desktop use in 24 hours is unacceptable though.

I'm just worried that the retailer I'm dealing with is going to run it through FireStrike or something and say it's fine. I don't really know how you reproduce random crashes whilst doing nothing.

Soldato
Using Firefox, with hardware acceleration off (to allow MacType to work). I've read elsewhere a lot of people having the same issue with Chrome though.

Soldato
added a new case fan

so experimented with higher clocks on my 290 Tri-X

not bad :) temps ok-ish about 82C under benchmarking - but VRM temps high @ 97C - but they've always been high on my card for some reason

4td.png

Back
Top Bottom