Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just been diverted here from GD as I'm looking for some coffee advice.

I'm stuck between getting an aeropress or a Bialetti moka xpress (open to other options)

Relatively new to good coffee but after tasting a friends pod coffee then going back to instant I want to invest in a better taste!

Also looking into a burr grinder but bit strapped on cash as I want to get the actual coffee well :D).

Associate
This'll get moved there anyway (LC), but as has been said - aeropress (£20), grinder (£25-30) and beans from Hasbean or similar (£4-6 a pack) is bang on for a massive improvement.

Associate
Never used the sex toy (above :D ) but can recommend the Aeropress. I take it to work and use it there, million times better than instant and tbh you can use any ground coffee in it for reasons of economy. I've been meaning to subscribe to a coffee delivery kinda place but I've always been put off by the price.

Soldato
Bialetti moka express

Just got one of these...(the smooth sided one which works on induction) and a set of tour de France espresso cups.

Im going full European. :p Love it.

Im just enjoying the varience in pre-ground coffee atm. I have a nespresso machine but only get the tesco pods as im a cheapskate and dont want to order directly from Nesspresso. There isnt much choice if you dont go the nespresso route. Was getting a little bored of them tbh so opening up to other forms of coffee.

Soldato
Just got one of these...(the smooth sided one which works on induction) and a set of tour de France espresso cups.

Im going full European. :p Love it.

Im just enjoying the varience in pre-ground coffee atm. I have a nespresso machine but only get the tesco pods as im a cheapskate and dont want to order directly from Nesspresso. There isnt much choice if you dont go the nespresso route. Was getting a little bored of them tbh so opening up to other forms of coffee.

I was converted by a friends POD Machine, but due to me moving back and forth between the rents and my house share, leaving a £60 machine and loads of pods in a house share is a big no no considering they'd use them!

I'd just have fresh ground coffee at my parents and grind some more for the week that's a bit more fresh than the normal freeze dried instant stuff I drink.

After spending £7 at Starbucks a few days ago, I realised I needed a more practical solution!

Considering the aeropress, after my Dad mentioned his bialetti went a bit 'funny' after leaving it for a bit, which I'd most likely do.

Soldato
Another "yes" for the Aeropress. I use mine every morning at work, along with a hand grinder and beans from Has Bean, it only takes a couple of minutes to make a superb cup of coffee. I also have a Chemex which I use at weekends, which also makes great coffee, so can also recommend that.
I'd go Aeropress if you're making just for yourself (although you can make 2 cups from one brew), and Chemex if you're making more than 2 cups in one brew.

Soldato
What kind of grind should I be aiming for with a stovetop espresso maker? Oh, and can anyone recommend me some coffee? At the moment I have some Dark Indonesian something from Whittards - I want to explore more beans/roasts - though I am partial to some full bodied, dark and strong (I know, phrasing) :)

Caporegime
What kind of grind should I be aiming for with a stovetop espresso maker? Oh, and can anyone recommend me some coffee? At the moment I have some Dark Indonesian something from Whittards - I want to explore more beans/roasts - though I am partial to some full bodied, dark and strong (I know, phrasing) :)

I would say filter grade, as opposed to espresso, as you are not pushing it with 15 bar of pressure and you don't want it to explode ! Okay, it probably won't but it don't want to to choke either.

Last edited:
Soldato
What kind of grind should I be aiming for with a stovetop coffee maker?
This brew guide from Has Bean should help you :).
Oh, and can anyone recommend me some coffee? At the moment I have some Dark Indonesian something from Whittards - I want to explore more beans/roasts - though I am partial to some full bodied, dark and strong (I know, phrasing) :)
Have a look at the selection that Has Bean offer, they have some very nice coffee beans.

Soldato
Cleaning the MCAL..

The piston and spring.. no pump here just spring loaded coffee extraction!

With the bottom water spreader off that sits above the portafilter, the bottom of the piston..

:)

Soldato
Afternoon guys.

Anyone tried Kopi before?

I have only ever ordered from hasbean and was thinking of subscribing so i get a random bag every month. Any of you guys done this?

Soldato
I'm looking to sell my entire (barely used) modded Gaggia setup (got the upgrade itch). I'm assuming this isn't suitable for the MM, so.. can i post the details in here? :o

Back
Top Bottom