BT TV

Associate
I want to be able to watch all the premier league games that are on TV. I can't get Sky or Virgin so as far as I understand, I have to look at BT.

Can anyone tell me how BT TV works? Virgin comes over cable, Sky through the dish...how does BT TV work?

Am I right in saying that I only need to get Sky Sports 1 as an extra. I have had a look back through the TV listings and I can only see the english games on Sky Sports 1?

Associate
BT TV is part TV aerial and part broadband. Can only get some channels with BT Infinity fibre. To be honest i'm not impressed with it over Virgin I had previously or friends sky boxes.

Soldato
BT sport is always via the Internet. BT TV is basically Freeview + broadband channels. I had it was okay when it worked, but it rarely worked. BT let me out of my contract early because they were that **** basically. I'd skip them

Associate
OP
So the reason I can't get Virgin or Sky is because I am in a leashold flat...so I won't be able to get a dish for sky either.

So if I have understood correctly, I need to have decent internet otherwise its not worth bothering....

BT reports I can get 70Mbps, should be enough right?

Soldato
5Does it say in the lease agrement you can't have sky or Virgin?

I do maintenance at a block of flats and they can have whatever they want. The dish can be removed and the holes in the wall can be patched up if that's the issue?

70mbps is way enough. I'm on 50 and it's totally fine. But as always faster is better :D

Last edited:
Associate
BT sport is always via the Internet. BT TV is basically Freeview + broadband channels. I had it was okay when it worked, but it rarely worked. BT let me out of my contract early because they were that **** basically. I'd skip them

You've always been able to get BT sport via BT TV, you just need to have Infinity.

With normal BT broadband you can only view it online.

Soldato
BT Sport can be received via a satellite dish, it's not Internet only.

Yes, you are right sorry, forgot about satellite.

You've always been able to get BT sport via BT TV, you just need to have Infinity.

With normal BT broadband you can only view it online.

You still get it on your TV through the router/ broadband, that's what I meant. The channels are not through the aerial so if your broadband connection went down so would the channels. Mine was down constantly.

Associate
You still get it on your TV through the router/ broadband, that's what I meant. The channels are not through the aerial so if your broadband connection went down so would the channels. Mine was down constantly.

Ahh sorry I mistook what you meant:)

Last edited:
Associate
BT sport is through a standard aerial. You need to take either a standard broadband or an infinity connection though. As far as I am aware champions league is moving to BT next season, don't know if it's all games or just some.

Associate
Can you really get BT Sport through the aerial? The BT site says

There are 3 ways to watch

On the Sky Digital Satellite Platform
If you have a Sky box and an active Sky viewing card (whether or not you have a Sky subscription) you can easily take BT Sport from us. You don't need to be a BT customer - but if you have our broadband, it's free. And it's only available direct from BT.

On BT TV with BT Infinity or BT Broadband
Get live sport in your living room with a BT TV and broadband package.

On the BT Sport App or on btsport.com
You can watch the action on your PC or Mac, or on your smartphone or tablet using the BT Sport App. You need a BT ID to access the BT Sport App and watch online. If you don't have a BT ID yet, you can create one now.

No mention of aerials anywhere. The 2nd option I'm sure is the multicast one, i.e. through your Internet connection.

Soldato
I really don't think you can. When I had the BT youview box the channel was still supplied through my broadband connection.

Associate
My mistake. It was originally available via aerial, but it looks like they've removed that option for new customers last year. I would imagine that even for customers who could still get it via aerial that it dissapear eventually.

Back
Top Bottom