What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 9/10

A superb action film which has fantastic special effects and action scenes throughout. The vision of this post-apocalyptic setting is very detailed and feels authentic, with a range of disfigured characters, beautiful maidens, and a world that looks and feels as though it has died. The music is great and well used, adding a bit of tongue-in-cheek to the proceedings. Although there isn't much to the plot and the dialogue is minimal, this adds to the strong atmosphere; everything is just a little bit mad. It also does become a bit repetitive, and it lacks some of the impact of the original Mad Max film, but still a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining film.

How would you rate the originals?

I've never paid much attention to the old ones before, but having seen them recently on Sky I can safely say they are pretty bloody good.

Soldato
My god the chase at the beginning of the first Mad Max is one of the best ever. Ultra Violent, Ultra aggressive, ultra destruction and a satisfying ending to the Nightrider :D

I prefer this chase to the one at the end of the film but it doesn't have the Interceptor in it but makes up for it with the "Boy, we're really going to get it this time. He had his indicator on." :D Or even "That scag and his floozie, they're gonna die!"

I hear that the baddie from the first film (Toecutter) is in Fury Road! 36 Years Later!

Caporegime
Pre Screening of SPY. 8/10

That unfunny American large woman that did all the worst comedy you have ever seen in recent American history, combined with Jason Statham being very British and vulgar, Jude Law being American and James Bondy and Miranda Hart Being a useless British/CIA type person.....

Omg it was funny, non stop low calibre sex gags, poop gags, slapstick jokes and some horrible deaths !

By no means a masterpiece of anything, but I must have laughed out loud 30 + times.
If you can see it for cheap and have an immature sense of humour ! You will love it.

Caporegime
Mad Max Fury Road.

OMG, I have not seen a better action movie for years, honestly. There have been good action movies but I cannot think of one that both sustains the action throughout pretty much the entirety of the 2 hour running time and set piece after set piece that gets bigger and more imaginative. Very enjoyable from minute 1 to the last, the entire cinema was silent when the credits rolled and worth every penny for the cinematic experience.

Of the entire movie, only 1 CGI shot that stood out and I am sure that was done for the 3D version, the rest of the movie was very real, very grounded and 100% realised.

I give it a 9.0/10

Associate
A Royal night Out (2015) - 7/10

An amusing and entertaining piece of fluff with a light atmosphere and a pleasant cast. It’s sad to think we will never see celebrations of British pride and honour in the streets on that scale again, but it’s good we will never have to make the losses and sacrifices on that scale to get there again, either. Typically British, but not as funny or moving as it could have been, and the ending goes on a bit too long.

Soldato
Ex Machina - 5/10

I didn't much care for it at all. Usually well into slower-paced sci-fi stuff, but the story and characters did absolutely nothing for me. It's just all a bit dull and doesn't have anything new to say on the subject of AI or anything else.

Soldato
re-watched - Wolf of Wall Street.

After 4 days in bed with the flu, thought it was time for a re-watch. OMG just as funny the 2nd time around - magnificant performance from Leo, utterly bonkers film, can only imagine the fun they had making the movie.

Still up there as my all time top 5 movies - 9.5/10. Utterly brilliant and made me feel so much better after having the flu!!!

Soldato
I watched the Korean thriller The Chaser, what an amazing film. I’ve seen it once before back when it came out on DVD but I didn’t really appreciate it back then. I’m now running through a list of “must watch” Korean films someone posted on reddit last week because the Koreans certainly know how to deliver suspense and roll things along.

The comedy segments of the film were done perfectly too and the dialogue matched with acting goes really well together. A sad film in many ways. Reminded me of Old Boy when I re-watched that recently too.

My list of MUST SEE South Korean films:

A Bittersweet Life (2005)
Friend (2001)
I Saw the Devil (2010)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)
Oldboy (2003)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005)
Brotherhood (2004)
JSA: Joint Security Area (2000)
The Man from Nowhere (2010)
Memories of Murder (2003)
A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
Mother (2009)
The Front Line (2011)
Samaritan Girl (2004)
A Moment to Remember (2004)
My Way (2011)
Silenced (2011)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah cool, some new ones there.

This is the list I'm working through, seen many already over the years but some are re-visits/new to me.

f8kc4gR.jpg

Associate
re-watched - Wolf of Wall Street.

After 4 days in bed with the flu, thought it was time for a re-watch. OMG just as funny the 2nd time around - magnificant performance from Leo, utterly bonkers film, can only imagine the fun they had making the movie.

Still up there as my all time top 5 movies - 9.5/10. Utterly brilliant and made me feel so much better after having the flu!!!

I rewatched it over the weekend. I actually thought it was pretty poor. I enjoyed it a lot on the first watch. But it just felt so forced. And Leo's performance didn't seem natural in this role. Loved him in many other movies like Catch Me If You Can.

I watched Striptease (1996) last night. Solid 7/10. Demi Moore. Fappable with the girlfriend.

Caporegime
Mad Max Fury Road.

OMG, I have not seen a better action movie for years, honestly. There have been good action movies but I cannot think of one that both sustains the action throughout pretty much the entirety of the 2 hour running time and set piece after set piece that gets bigger and more imaginative. Very enjoyable from minute 1 to the last, the entire cinema was silent when the credits rolled and worth every penny for the cinematic experience.

Of the entire movie, only 1 CGI shot that stood out and I am sure that was done for the 3D version, the rest of the movie was very real, very grounded and 100% realised.

I give it a 9.0/10

Just come back from seeing it... And I totally disagree ... The action scenes where amazing but the rest was dull ... I was bored... The acting by hardy was annoying and only Theron shined....

I didn't care or connect with any of the characters ... Apart from Theron who held the mess together...it would have worked better with an unknown as Max .. Hardy is a good actor but in this he was naff...

Plus it made no sense :p
the naff love story between baldy and the red head...the hammy acting of the old women and the daft cgi naffness of the exploding truck ... Should have been cut from the 2d version

Last edited:
Suspended
Kingsman: The Secret Service 10/10

Absolutely MENTAL, loved it from start to finish, very different and it gripped me the whole way through, loved the fight scenes and the direction, great stuff!

Back
Top Bottom