• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
you have a funny idea of whats funny :)

you think there will ever be a day when drivers wont need to be released for every major game?
seems a bit backward to me, and like something from the 90's
im hoping new windows could modernise some of this stuff but i doubt it...
just thinking out loud lol

Maybe dx12 will help, less driver overhead and all that.

Associate
you have a funny idea of whats funny :)

you think there will ever be a day when drivers wont need to be released for every major game?
seems a bit backward to me, and like something from the 90's
im hoping new windows could modernise some of this stuff but i doubt it...
just thinking out loud lol

totally agree.. but they already know, it's not the first time for sure that someone tells them about this. That's an obsolete procedure... :D

Soldato
Anyone else still getting the stange issue of the screen not waking up when it turns off? could have sworn it was meant to be of fixed but it still happens from time to time, the only way to get the picture back is a hard reset of the machine.
Theres a signal to the monitor as the light stops flashing but nothing shows up. Something i need to change? done the pci-e link sleep thing to never already too.

Associate
About elite dangerous have you spoken to the devs on there forum or customer support? Not sticking up for AMD here just wondering. From what I understand crossfire worked fine before elite dangerous release version 1.07

Please not having a go but do you listen as myself and others have told you Elite has NEVER had a crossfire profile when people are saying crossfire was working it just means that there was no graphical glitching going on but when working GPU's idle down to about 40% 1 card runs 100% hence better FPS on 1 card.

Before 1.07 I was still on AMD cards and crossfire working just meant that planets wouldn't vanish and cockpit displays didn't corrupt but as I said used just 1 card for better FPS.

Since then I have no idea as sadly as ive mentioned before I moved to Nvidia and yes I still read this thread as wasa loyal 15 plus year fanboy of AMD and think its a crying shame whats going on.

Soldato
Anyone else still getting the stange issue of the screen not waking up when it turns off? could have sworn it was meant to be of fixed but it still happens from time to time, the only way to get the picture back is a hard reset of the machine.
Theres a signal to the monitor as the light stops flashing but nothing shows up. Something i need to change? done the pci-e link sleep thing to never already too.

I have this problem too. I RDP to my PC from my phone and it wakes the screen up.

I have this annoying issue with my crossfire 290s. When I turn the PC on, crossfire never works. The second card only starts to work if I reboot, so now I reboot my PC immediately after turning it on. Annoying as hell when you forget to do it.

Soldato
Sad that it's got to the stage where people have felt the need to switch, it's easy for those who don't play games with crossfire issues to have a go at you, but there's obviously a problem if you've had to switch sides and spend cash doing so.

You'd have to be a complete numbskull to buy a 970/980 just 1-2 weeks from the AMD 300 series launch.
Even if someone doesn't want to buy an AMD card again at least they should use common sense and wait until the launch since chances are there will be price reductions if AMD brings out some serious competition.

Associate
You'd have to be a complete numbskull to buy a 970/980 just 1-2 weeks from the AMD 300 series launch.

Well, cheers for that :D ;)

That depends. If eight months ago, I got an R290 and in all that time the company I paid for that card issued so few driver updates, during a time when a few major titles were launching, I'd be a little concerned about how they're supporting my investment. ATI/AMD used to support their cards far better than they do now, whether or not that changes in the near future I don't know. It might, I hope it does because no opposition for NVidia is bad news for all of us. As for buying a 980 1-2 weeks before AMD launch their new cards, their current level of driver support means I won't be interested in their new cards this time around, I could be further down the line though.

I might be interested in the 980ti however, so I bought an EVGA card and registered it, meaning I should be able to step up to a 980ti if there's one out within about 87 days.

I am an AMD user of 12 or so years, I know how they've supported their hardware in the past. And it was better than this. Even though I had a single card, I had issues with a few games. They didn't even fix GTA V for me, I still had to Alt + Tab out of that to get smooth frames every now and then. So as an AMD user for so long, it is difficult to admit that this 980 handles everything I throw at it at 1080p in comparison to the 290. I didn't have a good model of 290 though it seems, the MSI Twin Frozr, the 290 was just too hot for that cooler.

For the good of all of us and our wallets, AMD needs to up its game. I really hope they do, but I'm out for now. And I think that's fair enough.

Soldato
Well so far just started playing Elite dangerous on my 290x on 15.4 drivers and i'm impressed so far with 1 hour of play. Let ED set graphical options for me based on my hardware and it set it on 1440p and everything set on high with SMAA as far as i can tell. FPS wise i'm getting between 80-90 so im quite impressed.

Associate
Well, cheers for that :D ;)

That depends. If eight months ago, I got an R290 and in all that time the company I paid for that card issued so few driver updates, during a time when a few major titles were launching, I'd be a little concerned about how they're supporting my investment. ATI/AMD used to support their cards far better than they do now, whether or not that changes in the near future I don't know. It might, I hope it does because no opposition for NVidia is bad news for all of us. As for buying a 980 1-2 weeks before AMD launch their new cards, their current level of driver support means I won't be interested in their new cards this time around, I could be further down the line though.

I might be interested in the 980ti however, so I bought an EVGA card and registered it, meaning I should be able to step up to a 980ti if there's one out within about 87 days.

I am an AMD user of 12 or so years, I know how they've supported their hardware in the past. And it was better than this. Even though I had a single card, I had issues with a few games. They didn't even fix GTA V for me, I still had to Alt + Tab out of that to get smooth frames every now and then. So as an AMD user for so long, it is difficult to admit that this 980 handles everything I throw at it at 1080p in comparison to the 290. I didn't have a good model of 290 though it seems, the MSI Twin Frozr, the 290 was just too hot for that cooler.

For the good of all of us and our wallets, AMD needs to up its game. I really hope they do, but I'm out for now. And I think that's fair enough.

Good luck with nvidia support.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2one2z/discussion_has_nvidia_forsaken_kepler_cards_has/
No driver support for past generation of nvidia cards.

And 780 = 960. That's nonsence.
qnlPpi7.jpg

Soldato
Good luck with nvidia support.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2one2z/discussion_has_nvidia_forsaken_kepler_cards_has/
No driver support for past generation of nvidia cards.

And 780 = 960. That's nonsence.
qnlPpi7.jpg

I seen this the other day if this is true that nvidia do reduce performance of older GPUs that for me is worst than anything a company could ever do..
After recent history I wouldn't rule this out!

Nvidia Titan = 285 ------------------ WHAT? Come on here before TitanX this GPU was matching performance in benchmarks with 290x

I think this topic needs its own thread and I wont be making it because I'll just get shot at for Troll or some crap like that.

Back
Top Bottom