• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970 fanless idle

Soldato
No, only certain models (I know Palit, MSI and Asus' cards all do). If it didn't do 0rpm out of the box, it's not likely to do it at all. Which exact card do you have?

Associate
Main one I know of that does it is the Asus Strix. Fans stay off until it reaches a certain temperature.

Associate
Which card did you try it on. I saw in that thread they got it going on the g1 and a few others, is interesting it doesn't work on all cards

Soldato
OP
Which card did you try it on. I saw in that thread they got it going on the g1 and a few others, is interesting it doesn't work on all cards

Yeah, altering the bios seems to work on most of them, with a few exceptions.

I'm wondering what prevents it even when you set the values to zero, somesort of hardware limitation? Card is the Zotac amp core edition extreme, cooler is more than capable, one of the best I've seen.

Associate
Yeah, altering the bios seems to work on most of them, with a few exceptions.

I'm wondering what prevents it even when you set the values to zero, somesort of hardware limitation? Card is the Zotac amp core edition extreme, cooler is more than capable, one of the best I've seen.

That card is awesome looking + great performance, im sad it cant do fanless. Yeah im not sure what could cause it. Maybe the minimum fan speed is controlled by a different value than other 970s, that isn't editable in this bios tweaker.
I remember the guy who made the video saying he had to mess about a lot with changing differnt values/ combinations of before he got it work, seems a bit risky if your feeling around in the dark, but he got it to work, so was worth it.
He said he had to set min fan speed to 0 and set some other value.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not noisy at all, in fact most people would class it as silent and it doesn't even shift from 900rpm until it gets to about 65c.

I'm just a bit OCD with noise and the rest of the rig is totally passive at idle except for the GPU.

Soldato
OP
I think it must be a hardware setting or something outside of the BIOS, I've just flashed one of the other 970 fanless BIOS to it and it does exactly the same. Shame.

Back
Top Bottom