Your current Fish tank Setups!

Caporegime
hey guys,

just after some advice, i have just bought a 64 litre tank, the chap who sold it me also gave some of his "filter media" which essentially was a large filter sponge thing from his filter full of fish poo.

He advised after i had set the tank up ect to drop that in and it will kickstart my cycle.

After 24 hours of running my tank empty i dumped that in and another 24 hours later it all went clear again.

Now i plan on leaving it at least 7 days but i haven't got any filter starter ect in. do you guys think it will be enough if i drop some dried food in every couple of days to start the cycle ?

i plan to test the after after 7 days but i just wanted to know if i should buy some filter start

many thanks for the future advice

The used filter media will give you a start, but thre is a product called seachem Stability which is, imo, the best starter and much better to use than letting food rot away in there. You can get it here.

http://www.aquacadabra.com/seachem-stability-100ml.html

I have used it and it really does kickstart the filter as it puts the necessary bacteria straight in rather than waiting weeks for it to develop.

Soldato
So here is my 15L tank

tank1.jpg

need some white vinegar to clean it up!

tank2.jpg

2.5 bottles in and the rest warm water.

tank3.jpg

after a wipe over with my finger quickly.

tank4.jpg

Running the heater on max and the filter to get the water moving. will give it over night and then clean it and see how it is. Will give it a rinse tomorrow afternoon to see what is is like and will give it another soak with the rest of the vinegar if it needs it. Then it will just need a good rise and ready to go!

Soldato
Since im going for cherry shrimp and they bread like crazy, anyone got any tips on how to keep the population stable?

if i put in say 8 shrimp, how quickly am i going to get over run?

Soldato
yea, i have been scouring looking for a single fish to fit in a 15L tank but there is nothing appart from a betta that is pushing it and will eat all the shrimp not just babies anyway.

i might go for crystal red shrimp rather than cherry shrimp.

Soldato
must have the Gucci planted substrates are pretty similar. I've used ADA Amazonia II and TMC Nutrasoil and they both seem just as good as each other although I haven't specifically tested anything.

Soldato
4 days in and the new crew are doing well:)
Great hand feeding the cleaner shrimps, greedy little things :)

Waiting on a couple of Zoanthids frags to turns up this week.
Just the Apex controller and auto feeder yet to buy next month.

20150527_165340.jpg

20150527_165251.jpg

Couple of snails doing a good job.

20150527_165346.jpg

20150527_165419.jpg

20150527_165325.jpg

Back
Top Bottom