• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU upgrade, would be nice to sell old card too.

Associate
Hey guys,

After release of Witcher 3 not long time ago I realised if I don't upgrade my PC now I'll be buying new rig very soon, hah. I'm currently running single Evga 560 GTX Ti Classified 448 which is still more than capable of producing good FPS in most titles but it just won't be enough soon since I'm using 1920x1080 resolution. How much do you think I could get for this card on Ebay? Got a local shop in my town that probably (need to check with them) would take £25 which should decrease the price of new card slightly.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure Ill go for 970 GTX - from what I heard MSI would be the best choice here? Also, power consumption should be about the same (maybe lower even) so guessing my trusted Antec 650 will do the job.

Rest of the specs, just in case:

2500k, 16GB ram, Asus P8Z68-V PRO.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Antec is form Truepower series, the 'new one' apparently. Case is Cooler Master CM 690 so should be ok. My EVGA is 26 cm long, from what I can see GTX 970 is slighty shorter?

Huh, haven't thought about BIOS to be honest. Never updated it really, as there was no need. Is the new chip on 9xx series the reason card may not be detected?

Soldato
Soldato
Indeed, the newer cards may not be recognised by older BIOSes

The TruePowers are excellent, so keep that it's fine :)

CM 690 also takes quite long GPUs, the MSI will fit in nicely

Associate
EDIT:

I spoke to Nvidia chat folk last night and they said that PCI-E 2.0, at least 500W PSU and a large enough case were the pre-requisites for a 980.

Take from that what you will!

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, make sure you get the MSI gaming with Twin Frozr. The other cheaper MSI 970 doesn't have as good cooling and features like the passive fan mode.
Also best to wait for R9 3XX series launch so you can get the card cheaper or there could be a better AMD card. Win in both scenarios.

Associate
The way I understand it is that if both your motherboard and graphics have a UEFI BIOS then some older boards couldn't understand NVidia's UEFI BIOS and required an update.

If either is non-UEFI then the board drops to legacy mode and it all works as it should.

Associate
OP
My mobo has UEFI, I've actually been having problems with it in the past. But as far as I understand I'd just need to update the bios which won't be a problem.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll chuck my current card on Ebay as well. Similar card went for £41 couple of days ago.

Associate
The way I understand it is that if both your motherboard and graphics have a UEFI BIOS then some older boards couldn't understand NVidia's UEFI BIOS and required an update.

If either is non-UEFI then the board drops to legacy mode and it all works as it should.

Can confirm!

980 is very cold and very fast!

Back
Top Bottom