Sia cctv licence needed?

Soldato
Hi.

I work security at different sites most of the time but tonight this location has cctv inside and out the building.

My understanding was I need the cctv licence to legally do the job.
I asked my company I work for and was told as long as the cameras not viewing public space.

I don't really trust anything they say lol and looking on goolge I am not sure about private businesses.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
where im working we have camera's but im sure you only need the cctv badge if its public places like a shopping centre. and also not sure if the camera's being static as opposed to ptz stuff also effects if you need it.

end of the day though not you problem, as its down to your company to make sure they send qualified staff.

Soldato
I use a CCTV system at work. Dont have SIA or any type of CCTV licence.

The CCTV is on site but can be moved onto public roads (Never is tho).

As for if it's legal or not... no idea :p

Man of Honour
end of the day though not you problem, as its down to your company to make sure they send qualified staff.

Don't know about the CCTV Licence but it's certainly not like this for the DS licence, you're just as liable and can be hit with a big fine if found to be working without a valid licence.

Contact the SIA and double check.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
seems the op is covering the site hence id put it down to the employer as they have sent him there to work and should know what is required of their employee's.

now if you apply for jobs and you claim to have a badge then yeah your asking for trouble. as for the DS badge yes your both liable for not working without a valid one. even if it runs out, but if a company cant keep tabs on what badges its staff have id be looking for a new gig as im sure their insurance wouldnt be valid if anything happened and you dont have a valid licence.

Associate
For what it's worth, we've got CCTV all over the school I work at. We don't have/need any sort of licences to view these and the company that installed it have said that as it's private property, we don't need to worry about any legislation (although they were selling it, so they are bound to say this).

We've even got parts of the CCTV on show to students so that they know they are being recorded, all suggested by the company.

Soldato
OP
I did think private property would be fine but I was reading something online if the cctv has controls where you can move the cameras you then need that extra licence.

Sounds silly I know but I would be in the mud if something did happen and my licence was not the correct one.

I am off that site now for a while but I keep looking into this in case I need to cover a shift there again.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom