• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
I've tried a few things with crossfire and w3, but sadly I'm not getting very good performance. It is better than single but I get a weird hitch every 10 seconds and there is slight flickering in shadowed areas. Not like AFR, but still bad enough to throw out of the game. I disabled temporal AA and AA in game. Now that I think about it though, I didn't try just two gpu's. I was using all three. Either way performance on a single card is still smooth and great so it's not keeping me from the game. Hopefully it will be spot on with the next driver? Just odd that with AFR the game runs beautifully smooth, no hitches or anything with AA on and all. Just pegs my refresh rate.. obviously has the annoying flicker madness though. So we know xfire is capable of glory here. Just get rid of the flicker LOL. (easier said than done I know!)

@amdmatt have you tried more than two gpu's?

Caporegime
Had another go of Black Mesa earlier on, if anyone can remember, i had a problem where on the Dam level (where the first chopper appears), it kept hanging, and i had to hard restart (up to there, was absolutely perfect), anyway, soon as i started, wasn't on 20secs, just ran and opened a door, bombed, tried again, ran to the same door, opened it, was fine, so played for about 10/15 minutes or so, got to that minefield you have to get through, to get down the storm drain, bombed, so restarted, this time leaving Afterburner off, and i played for ages with no bombing, was fine.

Just played there again, for nearly 2hrs (again with Afterburner off), and it was perfectly fine again, so baffled, as i can't see it being an Afterburner problem, as it only started bombing on that Dam level, and it was perfectly fine up to there, with Afterburner running.

Soldato
Had another go of Black Mesa earlier on, if anyone can remember, i had a problem where on the Dam level (where the first chopper appears), it kept hanging, and i had to hard restart (up to there, was absolutely perfect), anyway, soon as i started, wasn't on 20secs, just ran and opened a door, bombed, tried again, ran to the same door, opened it, was fine, so played for about 10/15 minutes or so, got to that minefield you have to get through, to get down the storm drain, bombed, so restarted, this time leaving Afterburner off, and i played for ages with no bombing, was fine.

Just played there again, for nearly 2hrs (again with Afterburner off), and it was perfectly fine again, so baffled, as i can't see it being an Afterburner problem, as it only started bombing on that Dam level, and it was perfectly fine up to there, with Afterburner running.

Afterburner is known to clash with some games when running OSD.. They is tweaks you can change inside rivertuner and see if you can figure out what is crashing it..

All programs that inject something into a game, can and do make some games crash/stutter or loose performance.

Its the first thing I do if I notice a issue is remove all OSD etc for testing.

Caporegime
Odd that osd's still have occasional issues, i know that the origin overlay has done it in the past as well. Its like the 2d osd layer is conflicting with the 3d layer and can cause issues.

Caporegime
I don't have the OSD on, i only use it to keep my clocks locked, as without it running, my cores going anywhere from 800/950, mind you, even on doing that, game still runs perfectly fine, as hardly taxing Black Mesa is it :p

I also played through it all on my old x58 rig with Afterburner on, and never had a single prob.

EDIT: Guess i could try shutting down the RTSS bit when i fire up Afterburner, see if something on there is affecting it.

Last edited:
Associate
BUT the flickering was awful, just recovered from my 3rd fit of the evening :rolleyes:

Yeah you should be using the default crossfire profile setting, not AFR at the moment until it's fixed. I get 60fps on ultra settings with my 7990 (hairworks off) with only flicker in inventory. But 90+ FPS in AFR mode but its unplayable flicker wise.

Sorry not 90+ FPS, 90% scaling, whereas default at the moment is around 60%. Wish Quadfire worked.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
When crossfire works the 7990 is still such a beast, love it :D

Amen Dave. I ended up buying another one just for a piece of history to show the grandchildren.

ND6J7ql.jpg

It's amazing how smoothly it handles GTA V at 4K at near maximum settings. (with AA disabled) Undervolted to 1.1v and temp sits at the low 80's in complete silence. :)

Associate
hello,
i have annoying stuttering on 15.5 and r9 290 tri-x (eg. when he runs or rides the horse)

is there some setting which can cause this or is game related?
thanks

Soldato
Amen Dave. I ended up buying another one just for a piece of history to show the grandchildren.

ND6J7ql.jpg

It's amazing how smoothly it handles GTA V at 4K at near maximum settings. (with AA disabled) Undervolted to 1.1v and temp sits at the low 80's in complete silence. :)

With all the veet you have used I doubt you'll have children let alone grandchildren. ;):p:o:D

Smooooth...........

Back
Top Bottom