Where to start with such an ambitious project?

Caporegime
First off, my programming experience ended with the demise of Turbo Pascal7. That should give you an idea of how out of touch I am.

That said, I was incredibly good at it and I do think I still have the right mentality for programming and it's always been something I've wanted to get back in to but never really had an idea for a project.

That's changed, I have a brilliant idea for something which I'd love to code myself but I don't really know where to start, what language to use or even if such a project is do-able with a single language.

The idea is a small program for keeping track of my matched betting shenanigans. As a rough framework I'd like to open it up, it should then:

Pick up the date and time, or somehow keep track of this itself.

Present me with a to do list, based on current offers and bets in progress. So if I've placed some bets on an event and the event has ended, it should show up in my to do list to check on it*.

Allow me to start a new offer**.

Allow me to search for a bookie based on name, should I wish to enter a new bet or amend something.

Allow me to place a mug bet (a random bet fooling bookies into thinking that I'm a normal punter) and keep track of when and with which bookie they were placed. When the bet passes a week, it should show up on the front page and stay there until I click on it and place a mug bet. This allows me to randomize my bet intervals a bit.

*For this, and somehow in the back of a table somewhere, I'd like the program to assign x amount of time per category of event, and after inputting the start time myself, decide whether or not to display this outcome on the front page. For example a horse race I could assign 30 mins to, a football match 150.

**This should allow me to input various criteria, for example what kind of bet, whether it's a qualifying or free bet, which bookie, username and password, etc etc.

Obviously this is a bit more complicated than "hello world" but if I don't start with something hard, I'm going to get bored and walk away from it so I might as well jump in the deep end.

I suppose my first question is which programming language would be best for this?

//I hope this all makes a bit of sense, if not feel free to ask questions or run away :D

Cheers all.

Soldato
Well first up you need to find out what API/scraper access you can get to bookies. Matched betting app will be pretty useless without having hundreds/thousands of bookies on the list, and chances are you're going to have to custom program the interface for each one....this is assuming they even allow scraping/API access.

Caporegime
OP
I won't be pulling straight from the bookies, this is purely a records keeping system. I'll find the bets and input all the data myself, I just need a way to store it and pull it from the database.

Although an API does sound great, you've certainly got me thinking, although that's way out of my reach for now.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the reply Mid. I've had a look at that and it would appear that it only "converts" an existing HTML platform to a mobile platform, am I right in thinking that?

I'm considering now going online with this and starting a site, but this is going to involve a lot of work. This will also allow me to use Phonegap as well, as it looks like a great system.

Now I just need to learn how to code :confused:

Back
Top Bottom