Smiler rollercoaster at Alton Towers - carriage collision

Soldato
They say the ride got stuck in the same place 3 times on the same day ? I'm sure the only way to remove the cars from that part of the track if stuck is to unbolt from the track and crane them off but there has been no mention of a crane being used three times that day ?

Do you know if the cars have an onboard mechanical recovery device/motor? As that is the only way I would know how to retrieve a car without a crain! :confused:

Soldato
Do you know if the cars have an onboard mechanical recovery device/motor? As that is the only way I would know how to retrieve a car without a crain! :confused:

I have no idea but when they have been stuck in that point before they have been craned off. I'm wondering if they were stuck on brake points before and was able to make it around apart from the one that got stuck.

Soldato
I have no idea but when they have been stuck in that point before they have been craned off. I'm wondering if they were stuck on brake points before and was able to make it around apart from the one that got stuck.

But said car was suppose to be stuck at the bottom of the so called bat wing, no chance mech of recovery only crain.

It is a mad thing because I know for a fact rollercoasters run like clockwork.

Am not even going to say someone, because the software counts the time and number of cars on the track at anyone time. So something is seriously ducked either soft or hardware side! :(

People cannot crash coasters, why you think they shut loads down. Sod all to do with a single person! Its bad design as I said a good few post back. They defecating themselves ! Coaster designers, hard and software engineers and theme parks of course! ;)

Soldato
It was actually stuck at the top of a hill hence the relatively low speed collision.

The silence on injuries has got to be compensation related.

Soldato
It was actually stuck at the top of a hill hence the relatively low speed collision.

The silence on injuries has got to be compensation related.

Am talking about the rouge car, how did the computer release the passenger car onto the track when it did not know where the rouge car was??? :confused:

Crazy stuff!! If it was old then yes but come on.

Its a just bloody NO! On a new 2014 coaster!! :rolleyes:

I will say it now, hard or software error. ;)

Side note I hope all involved makes a speedy recovery! ;)

Associate
I'm still wondering how the car that was stuck got stuck in the first place. I thought when these cars start the momentum keeps them going until it reaches the start again.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm still wondering how the car that was stuck got stuck in the first place. I thought when these cars start the momentum keeps them going until it reaches the start again.

Could have had a bearing failure or another mechanical issues that slowed the car down just enough to stop it cresting.

Caporegime
Found out that the girl who is the most seriously injured is from my home town. Don't know why but it does make it hit home harder when you find out something like that.

Soldato
Looking at the rides carriage I'm surprised that it doesn't look to have any kind of shock absorption other than the frame at the front which obviously crumpled in this situation. Of all the potentially dangerous possibilities two trains colliding has to be one of the more obvious ones so I'm surprised it's not been taken into account.

Back
Top Bottom