Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Considering the i3 does not support ECC RAM how does this processor even work?

I see that the 'T' version of that processor which is 500Mhz slower then the version you have is 59% faster in the synthetic Passmark then the Celeron.

Last edited:

GDL

GDL

Associate
Considering the i3 does not support ECC RAM how does this processor even work?

I see that the i3 is 59% faster in the synthetic Passmark.

*Shrug* You got me.
According to the Ilo, my ram is ECC, so no idea, I just took it from the Gen7 I had and dropped it into the Gen8.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Gen8 is quite noisy during POST but once booted I find it quieter the my old N54L. The fan sits at 6% most of the time even with an upgraded CPU. I have a Xeon E3-1265L V2 in mine which is arguably the best processor you can get for this model; 2.5GHz low voltage quad core.

Associate
Hi all. I recently bought a N54L of the members market and have it running xpenology. The are a few things I would like to improve on the machine and would like some advice.
1) noise. The machine is upstairs in the loft on top of my computer table but I can hear it humming away downstairs in my bedroom. Its not a constant hum but a modulating one. What can I do or buy to reduce this? Please provide links.
2) network speed. Now this machine replace my old Qnap TS210. While streaming 1080p movies across my network I get buffering where I never used to on the Qnap. The machine is connected to my network via power line adapters. The configuration hasn't changed, just the machines. Is there anything I can do to boost throughput?
Thanks

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

1) noise. The machine is upstairs in the loft on top of my computer table but I can hear it humming away downstairs in my bedroom. Its not a constant hum but a modulating one. What can I do or buy to reduce this? Please provide links.
I just replaced the power supply fan on my N54L and the difference is night and day. I bought a Sunon HA40201V4-0000-999 MagLev Super-Silence, it is so ridiculously silent that even with my ear right up against it I can't hear it. Crazy silent. Now the only sound comes from the big 120mm rear fan (which is a nice "white noise" type of sound, which is very unobtrusive), and a very slight whine from the hard drives (all WD Red).

It does require a bit of soldering though, as you will need to solder the new fan onto the connector from the old fan.

Best mod ever. Super happy with it.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

If you are capable of soldering, then you can figure it out easily enough.

In a nutshell: take photos of how everything is cable-tied before you cut them, disconnect everything, unscrew the power supply (3 screws in the rear), slide it out, open it (4 screws), disconnect and remove the old fan (2 screws), solder the new fan to the connector from the old fan, and put everything back together.

The screws that hold the fan are too thin for the Sunon fan, so you will need some slightly fatter ones. I had an old (bigger) fan lying around, and the screws from that fan were perfect.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

By the way, CAUTION: Do not be tempted to plug in the power supply while it's open!

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It probably took me a couple of hours, all told. Going slowly, taking care to do everything properly. A fair bit of swearing and grunting were involved.

Permabanned
right, seems i am being a bit thick?

i cannot press f10 during boot, first power on

any ideas???

Try the one between F9 and F11? It's near the top of the keyboard.
Try using your finger?
Try using your nose?
Try using you toe?
Try using your wife/girlfriend?
Try using a pointy stick?
Try using an ice cube?

Are you using a USB or PS2 keyboard?

Sometimes some USB ports are not loaded during boot... make sure you are trying the ports on the rear.

Otherwise... try a PS2 keyboard?

Soldato
Try the one between F9 and F11? It's near the top of the keyboard.
Try using your finger?
Try using your nose?
Try using you toe?
Try using your wife/girlfriend?
Try using a pointy stick?
Try using an ice cube?

Are you using a USB or PS2 keyboard?

Sometimes some USB ports are not loaded during boot... make sure you are trying the ports on the rear.

Otherwise... try a PS2 keyboard?

I believe the USB 3 ports don't work until booted into an OS.

Back
Top Bottom