The England Cricket Thread

Caporegime
fantastic start for England this summer. Winning from an abysmal start. hopefully this puts the belief back and we can forget about the Pietersen debacle once and for all.

Stokes is awesome too. Magnificent all rounder.

Soldato
Been a very refreshing series - didn't mind the losses as at least the attitude was right. Hales/Roy could be a great partnership, they are very entertaining to watch and it's good that we have two openers that attack from the start.

Soldato
Top order made a true mess of things today but bloody hell what a finish, didn't think we had any chance at 45-5

It's fair to say that the ODI side has won back a lot of fans with this series, all five have been thoroughly enjoyable.

So, onto our next opponents...

Caporegime
OP
Top order made a true mess of things today but bloody hell what a finish, didn't think we had any chance at 45-5

It's fair to say that the ODI side has won back a lot of fans with this series, all five have been thoroughly enjoyable.

So, onto our next opponents...

Top order went at it like the required run rate was 10+. A run a ball with a few boundaries would have won it, but the top order just went ridiculously reckless.

Associate
Today was utterly awesome!

Totally destroyed NZ's bowling attack. The records just tumbled. Over 400 runs in 50 overs is beyond immense!

Top order went at it like the required run rate was 10+. A run a ball with a few boundaries would have won it, but the top order just went ridiculously reckless.

It's very easy to play a match winning knock from your armchair.. Our top order is made up of players capable of scoring 8+ an over and they do that by taking risks. When it works you can end up demolishing teams as they did in the first test, when it doesn't pay off you can easily end up being 5 down with very few runs on the board.

Ultimately if we had the likes of Cook, Bell etc. we would have chased that down far more comfortably but we sacrificed their risk free batting for the opportunity to make massive totals. And that is one very un-English sacrifice that we should never take for granted.

As much as I like Jason Roy, I can't wait to see our ODI team with Hales and Ali opening the batting. Think we'd finally have a really good chance at a world cup then.

Soldato
Because if I had to give you my top 10 favourite innings of the last ten years, KP would have at least half of them.
Because, whilst I am a big fan of Ian Bell, he can't score a run to save his life at the moment. If he fails in the first test, his place must be up for grabs surely?(tbh though, Bell rarely lets England down in big series, so I am not expecting it!)
Because he is one of the best batmsen in the world on his day.

He has somewhat tarnished his reputation to say the least with antics and questionable comments over the last few years, but I am choosing not to let that ruin the great memories I have of him destroying some of the best bowlers in the world(the spell against Steyn was just incredible. Never forget it!), at crucial times over the years

A full-strength team would have him in it imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom