Poll: *** Google Nexus 6 ***

Which colour & memory size are you going to get?

• White - 32GB

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Blue - 32GB

Votes: 77 36.3%
  • White - 64GB

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Blue - 64GB

Votes: 66 31.1%

• Total voters
Associate
Just rooted mine, now running the stock ROM with ElementalX kernel. All I wanted to do is decrypt and enable tap2wake, swipe2sleep and the notification LED. The LED I can do without after coming from the iPhone but the lack of a front button on such a big phone is unacceptable without t2w. I don't even find the phone that big but when it's on a desk and a pen is in my right hand, it takes more effort than such a simple thing should.

On the subject of decrypting, how the hell do you do that? What data do I need to wipe from recovery? None of the guides are exactly concise from my searching. Perhaps I'm just being blind... :confused:

Associate
Battery life seems MUCH better with ElementalX. This time yesterday I was sitting at under 50% with moderate usage on a stock phone. Today I'm still at over 70%, usage has been almost exactly the same, just sitting at my desk with my headphones on. Screen on time has been slightly higher in fact.

When the 'new toy' feeling goes away and I stop playing with it, I may even get a couple of days out of it. :eek:

Associate
Associate
Totally stock with a few additional apps installed (Uber, WhatsApp, Dropbox, etc.), battery life seems pretty bad... Right now I'm at 26% with 3 hours screen on time.

Is this normal?! :(

Yeah, it is. Sounds roughly like what I was getting before I rooted. Coming from an IP6 the battery life was a right kick in the **** to begin with.

Associate
That kinda sucks... is it the massive QHD screen sucking up all the jiggawatts then?

Might have to send this badboy back...

yeah, the screen is pretty power hungry. It's always at the top of my battery usage anyway, including after an epic session of the original angry birds.

Try another kernel first if you can, it's literally a few command lines and the extra battery and tap to wake are well worth it.

Soldato
I'm the same, not often below 50% really. Different people have very different uses though, don't they.

Given I'm awake for, lets say 16 hours in a day, I can't imagine how someone can be looking at their phone for more than 4 hours of that? At home I have a PC for games and the web and a TV for any video content. I drive to work, so no using the phone. At work I'm busy. If I'm out, why would I be on my phone?

My screen on time barely ever goes over 90 minutes. But as I say, different people have different needs.

Soldato
I would imagine you use your phone. Is there a job that requires you to stare at your phone for hours?

Also, I'm not saying no one does, I'm not saying it's wrong to use your phone that much. I struggle myself to use it for 2 hours generally is all.

Associate
Well I'm sat at my desk all day listening to music. Not allowed to connect anything to work computers so its my only option. Screen on time is quite a bit as I'm always changing tracks/volume etc. This thing hits 50% way before midday and I have to give it a quick bit of juice at lunch if I'm going out that night.

It would never last a day for me under normal use if I kept it stock. Can see how some people don't look at it at all unless they're calling someone though.

Soldato
So left on idle over night for about 9 hours, and it went from 100% to 78%...

Nothing extraordinary syncing in the background (I have a minimal set of apps installed).

Battery usage by the mobile radio in standby seems really high?! Signal is not *that* bad in fairness (though I have no idea what the orange represents). Lot's of Awake time though...

M5nTUsel.png.jpg EvpH6C4l.png.jpg

Presumably Doze in M will make that better...

Associate
Just noticed that my device restarts if I take too many photos too quickly in a row. This is going back to Amazon and I'm getting something else. It's too reminiscent of the time I went through five(!) nexus 7 tablets and they simply kept dying, I'm not playing the Nexus Build Quality game again. :rolleyes:

Associate
What's phones next mate?

Probably a Note 4, I might look at how many hoops I have to jump through to root a G4 though. Knox and TouchWiz are the only two problems I had with samsung other than battery life but I'm chained to a pc all day anyway.

Quite gutted as I love this phone but my confidence in the Nexus brand was already low due to the tablet debacle. The volume button rattles like a maraca, too.

Soldato
Just noticed that my device restarts if I take too many photos too quickly in a row. This is going back to Amazon and I'm getting something else. It's too reminiscent of the time I went through five(!) nexus 7 tablets and they simply kept dying, I'm not playing the Nexus Build Quality game again. :rolleyes:

Hmm odd. I am only aware of 2 people in this thread that had to RMA

Build quality is best ever for any nexus device. I have owned them all

Back
Top Bottom