• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Associate
Yea try putting in -45 and it should bump to -40. It drops a bit from what you select sometimes.

Nice wee drop but look at your fan speed too, its also dropping so cooler temps and slower fans :). Try with your fan speed manually set to 60% or 70%

Associate
Sunshinewelly some oc models will have a higher sock voltage I believe. Its to make sure all of them can hit the clocks from the factory. For example my msi r9 290 showed +13mV in afterburner.

I would maybe stop where you are i dont think that psu is that good. Can you send me a pic of the specs from it?

Associate
Yea my ocd really kicks in when I don't get nice looking numbers! Thats why I'm trying to get my core upto 1200Mhz. On 1175Mhz so far:D

Now that you have your lowest vddc, start to increase your core clock a bit. Try bumping it by 15/20 Mhz. Undervolt and overclock :cool:

Caporegime
Well -50mv give me black screen on desktop, tried -40 but when I hit apply, it goes to -37 :/

Had a hour session on gta 5 and it seemed fine;

max temp = 74 degrees
max fan speed = 51%

It is a bit cooler today though so overall there isn't a huge temp difference, at least for me anyway.

I'd stick with -37v as if -50 gives you a black screen then -44 may offer flickering at 2D after a while. It's always nice to have the buffer of -0.06v from instability. The difference -0.06v makes is minuscule anyway.

Associate
Yea that makes sense, if my load vddc is around 1.31V with +200mV in afterburner do you think I could push a few more mV onto my card Matt? Currently below 80 degrees on the core and mid 80's on the vrm( vrm1 I think, the others like 55) with a 290 tri x

Soldato
My card is currently running at 1150 Core with my PCS+, with +83/+88 mv on the core, but I've noticed the core clock fluctuates a lot at times, even if FPS isn't that high, whilst other times/games it's solidly at 1150. Temps aren't excessive, not in the 80s or 70s usually from memory. I don't really want to disable powerplay and have to sit at 3D clocks 24/7, as that's a waste of heat and power.

Is this a sign of not enough voltage, or is there some other easy way to resolve this, as the constant core fluctuations do cause some slight stutters/increased frametimes. Power limit is already at +50%. Memory is at 1500 if at all relevant; I find if I go much higher than this I start to lose score in benchmarks, so think ECC must be kicking in, my card has Elpida so I wasn't expecting it to go this high TBH!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea that makes sense, if my load vddc is around 1.31V with +200mV in afterburner do you think I could push a few more mV onto my card Matt? Currently below 80 degrees on the core and mid 80's on the vrm( vrm1 I think, the others like 55) with a 290 tri x

Can afterburner do +200 now? do you have to enable unofficial overclocking or what?

Associate
Sunshinewelly some oc models will have a higher sock voltage I believe. Its to make sure all of them can hit the clocks from the factory. For example my msi r9 290 showed +13mV in afterburner.

I would maybe stop where you are i dont think that psu is that good. Can you send me a pic of the specs from it?

my psu is actually a 650w Antec Earthwatts EA650 80plus PSU

DSCF0008%201_zpsnfmb3xll.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCF0026_zpsnyj4iiap.jpg
[/IMG]

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=110

wondering what is a safe voltage boost to add as at default it shows as +50 on afterburner.

Is that setting the same as VDDC in saphire trixx software (that also shows +50)

Is it also worth boosting both core and memory or will i get better gains at 1080p with the core.

currently have 1100 on core and 1450 on memory but getting temps of 86 with auto fan ) thats will +75 on voltage slider and power boost all the way to the end

Last edited:
Associate
Can afterburner do +200 now? do you have to enable unofficial overclocking or what?

Yes BS Dave as passey89 said you just add some text to the end of a copy of the launcher, more info in the thread Matt linked to a few posts back.

What drivers are you running Alexrose1uk?

wondering what is a safe voltage boost to add as at default it shows as +50 on afterburner.

Is that setting the same as VDDC in saphire trixx software (that also shows +50)

Is it also worth boosting both core and memory or will i get better gains at 1080p with the core.

currently have 1100 on core and 1450 on memory but getting temps of 86 with auto fan ) thats will +75 on voltage slider and power boost all the way to the end

+100mV AS LONG AS TEMPS ARE OK. Then once you know your safe temps wise you can go higher but +200mV really starts pushing the card hard if you are on air.

At the minute it would be a good idea to set a custom fan profile to help keep the temps down a bit, then work on your core. Memory doesn't help that much on 1080p once you go over 1400Mhz so just see how far you can get on your core. If you hit 1150Mhz just call it a day unless you find it fun.

Your power supply is probably ok maybe someone else could give you some better advice than me but even if you have a combined 66A on your 12V rails your card may pull more than 22A on one of them and that would cause your computer to shut off. But as I said maybe someone with more knowledge on power supplies can clarify this. (My corsair cx 600m couldn't handle any more than +80mV in afterburner before pooping out but I do have an 8320 at 4.8Ghz so that doesn't help much):)

Associate
Does it still happen with everything at stock?(but keep the powerlimit slider to 50) I remember something similar happening with my msi r9 290. It was fine, clocks sticking high, but once i reached +50mV the clock began to flucuate when in games. It was as if powertune was knocking it back, as if I didnt have the slider up to +50. My temps were all fine too.

When you set it in afterburner open up the amd ccc and double check the powerlimit value has went up.

Associate
surely this isnt normal? Its a msi r9 290 gaming. In afterburner i have to give it +100 just to get 1070mhz. Im reading that people are getting higher on stock volts. Plus the temps seem high for this card.

7k0.png

Back
Top Bottom