• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cleaning cpu

Associate
I built my new pc a few weeks ago with an air cooler but want to add a H100i now I have a bit more cash. What is the best way to remove the thermal paste from the cup before adding the new cooler? I have read some conflicting stuff and am terrified I'll scratch it or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

los

los

Associate
I use IPA (isopropyl alcohol), got it from an auction site :) Although I used to just use tissue to get it off, is it gets most of it off and couldn't see it making too much difference to the overall temps

Soldato
'White spirit' from a general DIY store has always done a fine job for me.

Results may vary if you get your white spirit from an offlicense instead :)

Associate
Blue cloth and brake cleaner, if its an amd chip get a 99p car sponge and place it on that as you clean, you still need to be gentle but your not as likely to end up with bent pins

Associate
Another vote for isopropyl alcohol. Just make sure to buy the bottle without any scents or oils added to it. I find a cotton swab works best followed by a few wipes with a cotton t-shirt or paper towel.

Back
Top Bottom