Android security on wifi networks

Soldato
Evening all,

I've just got back from a short break and I noticed that the majority of people will connect their smart phones/tablets to any wifi that is advertised in bars/hotels etc without much thought for security.

It got me thinking about android security in general, i think everyone knows about iffy apps, don't install via third party sources and that there are many anti virus programs available through the google play store.

What about malicious users on the same network? Man in the middle attacks, connecting to your device etc?

After a quick google round tonight there seems to many tools available so you can use your phone as a platform to attack other devices, anti android network tool kit looks very impressive as does metaspolit via backtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IeWWMGWfo8

I'm rambling on now, but how do you protect yourself against this type of attack apart from not connecting to the wifi? I would have thought a traditional firewall would work, if set to block all incoming packets but the popular firewalls in google play only seem to block only outbound from installed apps.

Any thoughts on this?

Soldato
This is not limited by OS would be the first thing to note. The protection comes from the OS having protection built in, that's it. All major OSes have this by default, if you root your device then you naturally will have more control over it.

While not a major attack vector right now, expect it to become increasingly common as we transition away from x86 for work devices and therefore the value of an attack on ARM based devices shows more worth :)

Soldato
Be suspicious of any wifi that isn't your own. Doesn't matter if it's android, iPhone or a Windows laptop. Potentially anything going out from your device can be read and potentially anything coming into your device can be modified.

Using a VPN or TOR can offer some protection.

Associate
I don't do anything over public WiFi that would cause me to be concerned about their lack of security.

Most things are HTTPs anyway.

Soldato
OP
Morning and thanks for the comments, I agree using a VPN solution or a SSH proxy would solve the firesheep/droidsheep problem, but one of the pieces of software could put an apk (i think it was) onto the users desktop once it had done a network sweep, waiting for them to click on it to create a backdoor.

One of the pieces of software developers was also working on including a SSL stripper in there, so https isn't always safe.

Now, you would think that type of attack would be solved by a firewall that could block all incoming packets? Android is Linux and it uses IPtables under the hood, so why cant i find a firewall that will do this?

Soldato
Putting something on a launcher in Android (which is a separate app itself) would require root so if it had access to do this then the device was already compromised.

It might be an advert/ popup which links to an app which the user would have to A) download B) override the "install apps not from the market" marker or teach the user to do so and then C) install showing what permissions it needed and then D) get run. If you're 100% dumb then you might do all of this sure, it's possible - you can only go so far in user protection. I would consider what is done to date is reasonable but Android permissions are pretty bad (although looks like it's getting fixed in M).

Soldato
OP
Hi, that's quite a scary read on the leaky apps. I always look at the permissions the apps require and it does make you wonder why when you're installing a calculator app that want to know your inside leg measurement.

Back
Top Bottom