Chris Evans signs 3 year deal for top gear

Soldato
I give it 3 months for the ratings to tank and then it will get pulled.

First show will have decent viewing figures as many fans will want to see how bad it is with The Least Funny Ginger On TV at the helm.

Man of Honour
Not really surprised - not a great fan but I do actually think he is one of the least bad choices for if they are going to persist with top gear (depending on who the other presenters are).

Man of Honour
Why didn't BBC just sell the rights, what a waste of tax payers money, in several years the stock is going to be worthless, it was the presenters that made it and what's his name, all who have left.

Can't see Chris evans making it a success.

Caporegime
he might be able to wing it for a bit if he has decent co-presenters or has a bunch of good guest stars coming on....

Guy Martin would be good as a co-presenter or regular guest.

He is a bit annoying though and it seems unlikely that the show would be close to what it once was - but it doesn't have to completely suck either.

Associate
he might be able to wing it for a bit if he has decent co-presenters or has a bunch of good guest stars coming on....

Guy Martin would be good as a co-presenter or regular guest.

He is a bit annoying though and it seems unlikely that the show would be close to what it once was - but it doesn't have to completely suck either.

Just talking about it this morning and Guy Martin would definitely be my choice of co-presenter...his passion for absolutely anything is unreal and infectious as hell.

Unfortunately I doubt that Chris Evans can carry this show, at the end of the day Jeremy Clarkson was pretty much Top Gear.

Man of Honour
Guy Martian is great and I love watching his shows, but if they carry on with the old TG formula of heavily scripted stuff he'd be terrible.
He's the first to admit whenever he talks about his TV work that he's not a presenter he's just a bloke who if something interests him he'll really get into it, but he can't do the whole read from a script to the camera thing.

Soldato
If they want a like-for-like replacement for Clarkson then Chris Evans is about as good as they could get. He's divisive, a bit controversial, often opinionated and is a true car lover.

It'll never work if they're just going to try placing 3 presenters into the existing slots.

They need to reinvent Top Gear, like Top Gear itself did. If that means starting from the ground up, then I'm all for it, as much of it became torturous in the last few series.

It might not have had the viewing figures as the recent series may, but around series 6 or so was the pinnacle for me, where a bit more silliness had been introduced and it genuinely looked like 3 blokes just larking about, being themselves, rather than the much more heavily scripted, cast-in-stone personas that the recent series have been.

I'm sure I'll continue watching the new Top Gear as it will still be better than most of the stuff on TV, but it's only going to be compared to the Clarkson, May, Hammond era, in that respect it's doomed from the outset. :(

Soldato
Only liked top gear for the specials. Without the 3 amigos doing em i dont think id ever watch top gear again unless its a repeat with em in. Anyone else doing it wont have the funny banter between em on the specials and the normal show is meh.

Back
Top Bottom