*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I just wanted to share that on Tuesday I finally achieved one of my dreams of a 2 plate squat for 3x5 at 75kg (174cm). :p

Been lifting for 18 months, but was too scared to gain weight so spun my wheels for a long time, and just came off a 2 month cut.

Now I'm on that 100% genuine bulk time I finally did it, so let that be a lesson to all you guys who want to get strong, make sure you hit those macros. All of my lifts would be a lot higher if I just ate consistently at surplus.

Associate
I just wanted to share that on Tuesday I finally achieved one of my dreams of a 2 plate squat for 3x5 at 75kg (174cm). :p

Been lifting for 18 months, but was too scared to gain weight so spun my wheels for a long time, and just came off a 2 month cut.

Now I'm on that 100% genuine bulk time I finally did it, so let that be a lesson to all you guys who want to get strong, make sure you hit those macros. All of my lifts would be a lot higher if I just ate consistently at surplus.

Congratulations, get your steak'n'chips in, and some brocurlz!

Associate
I'm going to ask a stupid question so please be gentle.

Been doing some weights at home on and off, I want to check an assumption before I start getting into bad habits now I have a bench and will be putting more focus in. When people talk of 5x5 this, 5x5 that, etc. When you come to do this, do you do 1 set of 5, then 1x5 of the next, or are you doing 5x5 of each exercise with just rest in between before changing lifts?

Soldato
Typically exercises are always performed one at a time in any program unless explicitly stated otherwise, so in the case of Stronglifts 'A' workout it's 5 sets of 5 reps for squats, then 5 sets of 5 reps for bench, then the same for the barbell row.

You can do things like 'supersets' where antagonistic exercises/muscle groups are alternated immediately one after the other, but this is typically done with isolation/low intensity movements like say, a set bicep curls straight into a set of tricep pushdowns, rest, repeat... and would be written as such.

Last edited:
Associate
Thought I'd pipe up again in here. Thanks to whoever posted the 'fierce 5' routine from bb.com. - I am now about a month in and really enjoying it. I haven't done any strength training for about 4 years after concentrating on triathlon for that time. I'm so weak! I'm starting right at the bottom and my initial goals are BW in the big 3 (75ish kg) Will post up some progress in a month or two. Wish me luck!

Soldato
God first weights session after a prolonged break is a nightmare :o

Maybe I didn't stretch enough.

I had a 3 week break due to going on holiday to an all inclusive for 2 weeks, then just needed a third week to slowly edge back into it. Every body part was a little achy, except my legs were terrible. Haven't been able to walk properly all week lol.

Soldato
Soooo I've been slacking off in the gym for the last 10 days as I had to knuckle down to get an exam out of the way.

I'm making a return tomorrow at last, looking forward to it - fishing for a bit of advice.

I'm going away on holiday in 3 weeks so its back to a calorie deficet for me until I go - I'm just wondering, I'm looking to make as much impact as possible in that time. What would be the best way to go about this? Fewer reps with bigger weights?

I realise 3 weeks isn't going to turn me into a Greek god, just looking to get the most short term bang for my buck.

Cheers

Soldato
I'm going to ask a stupid question so please be gentle.

Been doing some weights at home on and off, I want to check an assumption before I start getting into bad habits now I have a bench and will be putting more focus in. When people talk of 5x5 this, 5x5 that, etc. When you come to do this, do you do 1 set of 5, then 1x5 of the next, or are you doing 5x5 of each exercise with just rest in between before changing lifts?

Hi Itchy,

I'd suggest you have a play around with a few routines and see what works for you. If you are trying to build mass and strength, ideally you should aim for as heavy weight as possible, but will most likely only be able to do 4ish reps. Again this said that may also not work for you and just trying to do a 8-12 reps per set may be best. Some people prefer 5 sets, others do 4, some people even do 3, but you should eventually work out what is best for you and I'm sure your body will let you know. In total I do 16 sets, sometimes 20, but break it down as 4 sets per exercise, so basically I am doing 4/5 different exercises on the body part I am training that day. I aim for 8-10 reps, with the last set usually pushing myself to failure.

Soldato
Rids if you don't mind me asking, what is your current weight and estimate body fat?

You say you are going on a calorie deficet, so I assume you are trying to burn fat and hold muscle? If I am wrong let me know, but going on the sounds of it I would just throw in a power HIT routine. Go heavy, but on a weight where you can do a comfortable 12-15 reps. Try and super set everything you can and only have a 30 second rest period. You want to keep the heart rate up so that it is constanstly in fat burning mode. Also make sure the diet is on point for those 3 weeks and you can acheive a lot more than you think.

If you are happy to buy and take it, get some animal cuts as that will last you 3 weeks and with the right diet and traning can cut you up quite nicely.

On one of the days throw in a giant set by doing 6-8 exercises without a break. I know this isn't always feasible due to equiptment being in use, but if it's available give it a go. Example - Close grip chinups into wide grip chinups into seated rows into straight arm lat push down into lat pull downs into straight pull downs, into behind head reverse pull downs. 90 second rest repeat again.

Cardio (the word people hate :p ) Do one of the following twice a week at end of session:

30 mins high stepper:
2 min low resistance
2 min medium resistance
1 min high resistance
repeaet 6 timrs

30 mins walk on incline
2 mins speed 5 incline 5
2 mins speed 6 incline 10
1 min speed 7 incline 15
repeat 6 times (no holding on)

30 mins treadmill sprints
3 mins fast walk
1 min sprint
repeat 8 times

30 mins steady state
standard job for 30 mins

Associate
Thanks for the replies, glad i asked before getting into bad habits. Started out doing the 5x5 strong lifts but need to adjust as squats are not easily possible now I have a bench as its taking more space than expected. However I could always do them last after putting the bench away.

Associate
Congratulations, get your steak'n'chips in, and some brocurlz!

Cheers mate! Yeah, gotta do dem brocurlz errday so I don't catabolise! :D

Thought I'd pipe up again in here. Thanks to whoever posted the 'fierce 5' routine from bb.com. - I am now about a month in and really enjoying it. I haven't done any strength training for about 4 years after concentrating on triathlon for that time. I'm so weak! I'm starting right at the bottom and my initial goals are BW in the big 3 (75ish kg) Will post up some progress in a month or two. Wish me luck!

Das it mane, fellow Fierce 5 brah here. Just make sure you are bulking and you will hit those in no time. I am also 75kg (well, nearing 76kg now on a bulk), and BW squats and deads are easily obtainable if you just follow the program. I reckon you should set your sights on BW bench, 1.5xBW squats and 2xBW deadlifts. Aim high, nomsayin?

As always, keep focusing on technique to avoid injury, and check out the F5 thread if you have any questions.

I assume you are doing the variant with deadlifts and leg curls instead of front squats and RDL?

Associate
Yeah, I see those as longer term goals though. I'm not naturally strong so slowly slowly catchy monkey. I'm also old at 37!

I'm sticking with the original program with front squats and RDL's.

Oh by big 3 I thought you mean Bench, Squats and DL, must have meant OHP instead of deadlifts?

I don't like front squats or RDLs, so I do deadlifts and leg curls instead. I do OHP as a substitute for incline bench since I prefer it.

37 is still young man, I'm 31 :D. We're all gonna make it!

Man of Honour
Oh by big 3 I thought you mean Bench, Squats and DL, must have meant OHP instead of deadlifts?

I don't like front squats or RDLs, so I do deadlifts and leg curls instead. I do OHP as a substitute for incline bench since I prefer it.

37 is still young man, I'm 31 :D. We're all gonna make it!

Wait a second - you don't like front squats so you do leg curls? That is like saying you don't like brocurlz and then break out the vibro-plate! :o

So you are basically saying you have no quads? :D

Soldato
Hitting Strava PBs with not too much effort after a winter of doing legs - even going faster up hills despite weighing at least half a stone more!

Squats win at everything.

Associate
Wait a second - you don't like front squats so you do leg curls? That is like saying you don't like brocurlz and then break out the vibro-plate! :o

So you are basically saying you have no quads? :D

The curls are for hamstrings :p. Instead of front squats I do the most badass lift a person can do - deadlifts.

Since I am doing deadlifts, I can't do RDLs for hamstrings, otherwise I will overwork my traps. I ain't about that imbalanced musculature life, nomsayin?

I detest machine work, so I hate doing leg curls, but have to for balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom