*** The Official Destiny Thread (now includes 2.0 and TTK) ***

Soldato
If it is a permanent xp boost for armour and weapons, then your ok paying £20.00 for it?

Depends what the XP boost is. Possibly. Tbh the amount of money I've saved playing this game scares me (I think about how I paid for 10 years of EVE + other mmo subscriptions, plus the not spending money on other games/going out constantly) that throwing an extra £20 at them doesn't phase me hugely. On principle I totally understand that it's a disgusting amount to pay for essentially nothing, though. But I think that could be applied to almost any 'hobby'.

Soldato
The uncomfortable, perhaps unpalatable reality is that people are going to pay it. I'm tempted but think I'm going to pass on the extra stuff on principle. A few digital assets aren't worth that much imo. 5 quid? I'd probably pay it, not 20.

I enjoy the game too, but its basically just milking your loyal fans here, £40 for what is a bit of new content, which boils down to adding some classes, and re skinning/reuse most of the monsters you already have, not even close to worth it. You also get 2 new PVP modes, again not much of a deal here I think.

The £20 emote stuff is the really kicker, its like hey now you still pay £60 and still get less then everyone else.

Depends what the XP boost is. Possibly. Tbh the amount of money I've saved playing this game scares me (I think about how I paid for 10 years of EVE + other mmo subscriptions, plus the not spending money on other games/going out constantly) that throwing an extra £20 at them doesn't phase me hugely. On principle I totally understand that it's a disgusting amount to pay for essentially nothing, though. But I think that could be applied to almost any 'hobby'.

I get this thinking too, I don't mind soo much paying, but I want it too be something the developer has spent a lot of time working on. A few colours and a scarf for £20 really seems like their milking us.

Soldato
Just turned mine off. Was working fine though.

1 level away from a level 20 Titan, will go straight to level 33 and be a armour core off of 34.

Is there any point in a Hunter? They are pretty useless aint they besides their invisibility?

Last edited:
Caporegime
For people complaining about USA vs UK pricing it's very simple.

Make a US account and buy all future games off that when you know you want all the DLC and expansions.

I paid $80 for Destiny Premium Digital Guardian edition or whatever it was @ launch which included all the DLC plus premium goodies such as the red ghost, etc.

I will now pay $40 for the expansion.

Convert those prices into pounds and I am effectively getting this expansion for free compared to those that bought the same edition I did on the UK store.

It's always been this way. Pair of Timberland boots in UK is £180 in America $180. Headphones which cost £400 here are $400 in America. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. One of the reasons is taxation, we have higher tax here than in America. People will then say VAT is only 20% it's higher tax on everything though not just VAT. Higher wages for those truck drivers that transport them across the UK. Higher tax/duty on the fuel which goes into those lorries that transport them across the UK. Higher wages on the staff that pack orders, stack shelves, etc, etc. Basically everything is more expensive in the UK because everything costs more here. Staff cost more, fuel costs more, tax is more, duty is more, etc. It's a combination of all those things which makes prices higher. The end result is we have a stronger currency and economy compared to the US. Yes there economy is bigger but it's also weaker. They don't get free health care, prescriptions, university fees (Scotland), etc, etc. We pay more and we get more benefits in the long run.

On another note I think about how this one game has stopped me buying others (I have bought others but never played them because of Destiny and because of that it's stopped me from buying more).

I don't play as much as I used to but I still play regularly enough to justify spending £25 on the next expansion.

I will easily bow £100-£200 on a night out. Which is what 4-8 hours of fun. £25 for another 50+ hours of fun seems like a no brainer to me.

Soldato
It's always been this way. Pair of Timberland boots in UK is £180 in America $180. Headphones which cost £400 here are $400 in America. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. One of the reasons is taxation, we have higher tax here than in America. People will then say VAT is only 20% it's higher tax on everything though not just VAT. Higher wages for those truck drivers that transport them across the UK. Higher tax/duty on the fuel which goes into those lorries that transport them across the UK. Higher wages on the staff that pack orders, stack shelves, etc, etc. Basically everything is more expensive in the UK because everything costs more here. Staff cost more, fuel costs more, tax is more, duty is more, etc. It's a combination of all those things which makes prices higher. The end result is we have a stronger currency and economy compared to the US. Yes there economy is bigger but it's also weaker. They don't get free health care, prescriptions, university fees (Scotland), etc, etc. We pay more and we get more benefits in the long run.

There is no need for digital content to cost more in the UK, and looking at a few PS4 titles between the US/UK PSN stores, it doesn't really...
Activision UK just like to take the ****, a 1-1 $ to £ conversion, or worse in some cases, this is not the norm.

Battlefield Hardline: $49.99 - £39.99 (EA)
Last of US Remastered: $49.99 - £39.99 (SCEA)
Lego Jurassic World: $59.99 - £44.99 (WB)
Destiny Digital Guardian Edition: $59.99 - £84.99 (Activision)
Diablo III Reaper of Souls Ultimate: $59.99 - £59.99 (Activision)

Can't see why anyone in the UK would want to support such tactics.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is no need for digital content to cost more in the UK.

Yes there is.

US digial store quotes prices wihtout tax as some states have no sales tax at all, while some do.

You are comparing prices in UK with tax to US prices without tax. If you live in Alabama you'll pay 11 % more than the quoted xbox market price of $40 when it hits your credit card. However Montana has no sales tax at all meaning they pay exactly the quoted $40.

But that's not sony's or microsoft's fault.

Back
Top Bottom