5 days at the TT

Soldato
Thought I’d do a quick write up of this years pilgrimage to the TT.

I usually take my teenage son, but he’s had GCSE’s this year, so I decided to take my dad. To give you a bit of background, he’s the reason I’m into bikes - one of my earliest memories is me sat on his MZ250 aged about 4! Anyway, mum passed away last year and I thought it would be good to do a trip with him, partly to just spend time with him, as you never know how much you’ve got, but also to encourage him to buy another bike. He ended up buying the same as his last bike, a Virago 535. Wouldn’t be my choice, but it’s light and low, so suits him!

IMG_8033 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

So, we headed off to Heysham at what would only be described as a ‘relaxed’ pace, but the sun was shining so all good :) The ferry was packed and there was the usual stress of being packed in like sardines and trying to judge it so the bike doesn’t lean into the next one on the sidestand. The crossing was super smooth, unlike two days ago when it had been a biblical storm!

IMG_8036 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

Untitled by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

I love seeing the Island come into view. We lived here for 5 years and it always feels a bit like coming home - it’s a stunning place when the sun is shining on it.

Untitled by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

We’d hired an apartment near the prom in Douglas for 5 days so headed straight there, dumped the luggage and walked straight up to St Ninians for wednesday practice. I think this is a great place to experience the bikes for the first time as the noise and sense of speed is awesome. Dad was impressed :)

Next day we did some tourist stuff. Rode to Laxey and did the electric railway to Snaefell, then went for an Ice Cream before riding down to Murrays Motorcycle Museum, which is a proper old school museum packed to the rafters with interesting bikes and junk! On the way back I thought we’d take the coastal road via Port Soderick, but the connecting road turned from minor road to gravel to grass and mud for a mile before we finally hit tarmac again. There can’t be too many people that have green laned a Virago! That night we watched Practice from the Creg Ny Ba straight, sat on a hedge.

IMG_8075 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8094 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8116 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8144 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8149 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8163 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8167 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8172 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8174 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8237 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

On the friday the weather was a bit poor in the morning so walked into town to visit the Manx Museum and buy presents. It faired up in the afternoon but Dad was a bit knackered I think so I left him in the Apartment and did a couple of laps of the course. Amazingly the Mountain road stayed open - it had been constantly open and closed for the two weeks as people ran out of talent and crashed. At one point there were literally no beds left at Nobles hospital due to idiots throwing themselves at the scenery. In the evening I’d bought some VIP tickets for the final practise session and interview with the riders, which turned into a good night.

IMG_8292 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8302 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

Racing on saturday was cancelled so we toured the Island, starting at the new Manx Motor Museum at Jurby. I’d recommend this place - some interesting cars and bikes to look at.

IMG_8308 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8314 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

Then headed off to Peel where we went round the Manannan Museum and had a cracking lunch at the pub next door, before heading off to the Calf of Man. The scenery between Peel and the Calf is just stunning.

IMG_8324 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8325 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8331 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8334 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8358 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8396 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

Sunday was all about the racing. We watched from Ballacrye, which was a decent enough spot and it was a great race. I love the actual race and listening to all the timings on the radio - its very different to normal motorsport and more like watching a cycling Time Trial event where it’s all about waiting for the next time check whilst watching and hearing bikes screaming past at 180mph! After the race we headed down to Onchan to watch the Purple Helmets stunt show before going for a final meal at a good steak house down the road.

IMG_8430 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

IMG_8521 by Dave Wrightson, on Flickr

Now, I’d gambled on dad enjoying the trip as I’d already booked for next year when the ferrys were released on the 1st June, but hadn’t told him, so I was quite relieved when I asked him if he’d come again and he said he’d loved it :)

Overall a brilliant 5 days that I’ll always remember, and Dad is looking for a more powerful bike! Next year I’m taking my son too, so 3 generations of bikers :)

If you’ve not been to the TT then do it - it’s bloody brilliant :) I’ve tried to show some of the more touristy things as there are already so many great pictures of the racing, but there’s so much more to do on the island.

Associate
Awesome pics. Great to see your Dad enjoying himself. One of my biggest regrets was not going with my Dad whilst he was alive. (Altho we did see Colin McRae win the '95 WRC :D)

I'm booked up to go next year (my first time), it's always one of those "I'll go next year" things and never actually go. I'll definitely do some more of the tourist type stuff whilst there. :)

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

Looks a fantastic trip more so because of the father-son element. Always fancied the TT. Really got me thinking about doing something with my dad.

Caporegime
Good one dad haha

I very nearly went in 2000 but mate pulled out,looks nice there though and the weather, try and cram as much time as you can with your parents

I lost both of mine and they weren't that old either

Associate
Some great pics there, will hopefully make the trip in 2 years time.

Is it the case that the ferries get totally booked up or are you just getting in earlier for the best price?

Associate
Great pictures and memories, we must treasure our parents because they can all too easily be taken away from us but good memories can't, well at least until dementia kicks in :)

Soldato
OP
Some great pics there, will hopefully make the trip in 2 years time.

Is it the case that the ferries get totally booked up or are you just getting in earlier for the best price?

The ferrys get initially booked up straight away. I went on the day after they cam out and most of the best sailings had gone. e.g. if you want to go saturday to saturday of race week they go immediately.

Having said that, if you're more flexible you can book later, and they also release tickets at the beginning of end of feb when people fail to pay the balance (you only pay a deposit when booking)

Associate
Great pictures! Jealous you managed to book on next year too. I'll definitely be looking to go again maybe 2017.

Went over with my dad this year too. My first time. It's always looked mental enough on TV but seeing/hearing those guys at full throttle from 6 feet away is something else. So lucky with the weather too! My dad went 2 years ago for the first time and it was glorious all week so I didn't think I would be as lucky!

Most memorable moment was when one rider had a huge tank slapper pinning it out from under the footbridge at the bungalow, coming straight towards where we were stood by the fence. Jumped back 3 feet and nearly pooed meself. He was NOT shutting off for anyone :D

Back
Top Bottom