Vulcan Flyover

Soldato
saw it fly over today, flight path was literally straight over us when it left King's Lynn on towards Skegness etc. Sadly couldn't get decent pictures, it was literally just a black silhouette due to the 'backlight' from the clouds/sun with the camera I had to hand.

It was a lot quieter than I was expecting, compared with last time I saw it was like a gentle purr with a whistle blowing and this is when it was no more than 1000ft in the air lol

Soldato
So this is what we heard the other day when it flew over our house, sounded like the sky was being torn a new one :cool: Shame to see this being the last outing for it, had I have know earlier I probably would have made an effort to see it in action. Still time, I guess.

For those interested, this is not only a good documentary on the Vulcan, but one of the best documentaries I've ever watched, hands down. I dare you to watch it and not love it :D

Thanks for that, watched it :cool:

Soldato
Not sure how it was supposed to carry one of these to Russia but I guess it wasnt lacking the power

Vd2QKBb.jpg

I had a chinook fly over my house once, we have a RAF base in the region though its not usual to get that close and that is a very unique noise/sight to it if you ever get the chance

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting to see this pretty much every time it flies is a somewhat unique experience. Got to stand on top of the tower at Doncaster yesterday to watch it play on it's return which was pretty awesome. I'm actually scheduled to work it's current last booked flight of this year, which if it does end up being the true last one, I may well be the last controller to speak to a flying Vulcan...rather odd thought.

Man of Honour
Duxford was pretty packed today. Car park... full... Opened the grass parking normally used for air show parking.

Some people turned up at 13:30 - paid the £17.50 - parked - watched the vulcan flypast - went home.... :eek: Missed out on the various Spitfires, Mustangs, B17, Blenheim, Chipmunks and so on.

Haven't gone through my photos yet. Will do later on though.

Caporegime
Not sure how it was supposed to carry one of these to Russia but I guess it wasnt lacking the power

Check out the documentary I posted, it was quoted again in the post above yours. It flew all the way to the Falklands too. I don't want to ruin it, but suffice to say that the British determination got it there and back safely ;)

Soldato
I live 5 minutes away from the North east air museum at Sunderland. So of course headed down, I love that aircraft, ever since being shown inside the grounded one at Sunderland when I was a child. Was great to see again :)

Soldato
I managed to get into the cockpit of one of the Lightnings at Brunters roughly 15 minutes after it had done a fast taxi run a few years back, it was still toasty and smelling of aviation. I also offered to run my old GT3 alongside the Lightnings on one of their open days, suggesting we charge a few quid and put it towards the fund for the jets. For various reasons I never fully understood we could not make it happen, but they did it before with the hunter and a CSL.

It would have been ace, what possible could go wrong :D

My dad raced Jeremy Tetley in his Bentley (of the brewery fame) with a Faery Gannet AEW. Apparently Jeremy was faster in his Bentley until my dad got the Gannet's wheels off the ground.

Soldato
The noise of the thing gets me. It made children cry at the Bournemouth airshow a few years ago.

It's a shame they didn't really push it at Southend airport. Could barely hear the engines from where I was. I was looking forward to them coming in low along the runway and aborting the landing with full engine power. But all they did was a couple of circuits round the airport. There was a good turnout though. The roads were packed, I had to abandon the car in a side street and run.

Soldato
Image what it must have felt like for the people assembling the first Vulcan and seeing it take shape before their eyes, bear in mind the first Vulcan took to the skies <7 years after WW2 ended, they must have felt like they were looking at a starship the design was so radical/advanced.

The bombs fitted to the Vulcan were smaller, when they started getting bigger they started working on fitting pylons to the planes so they could be mounted externally but that project was cancelled. By the end of the 60's the strategic (large scale) nuclear role had transferred to the navy so the Vulcans were regulated to a tactical (surgical strike) nuclear role.

Associate
Is that a close up of a formula1 steering wheel?

Probably a lot less complex than a current F1 Wheel.

Pretty poor weather yesterday so I went to go see her pass at Norwich Aviation museum instead of Marham in case the flight was cancelled. Place was packed! Could have done with some sunshine but having a P-51 buzz us made up for that. Was also good chance to have a look around XM612 which is getting a little rough around the edges.

Avro Vulcan XH558
by Pete Kent, on Flickr

Avro Vulcan XH558
by Pete Kent, on Flickr

Rubbish DSLR Video:

Man of Honour
Probably a lot less complex than a current F1 Wheel.

Pretty poor weather yesterday so I went to go see her pass at Norwich Aviation museum instead of Marham in case the flight was cancelled. Place was packed! Could have done with some sunshine but having a P-51 buzz us made up for that. Was also good chance to have a look around XM612 which is getting a little rough around the edges.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/333/18640965573_64de1dda95_c.jpg
Avro Vulcan XH558
by Pete Kent, on Flickr
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3719/19235415476_50c19344b4_c.jpg
Avro Vulcan XH558
by Pete Kent, on Flickr

Rubbish DSLR Video:

Was good to hear that Maurice took advantage of the crowds. :D
Don't know which of his Mustangs it was though.

Back
Top Bottom