Smokers

Soldato
I took it up when I first started to go to the pub with mates at 14. Didn't smoke much at all, around 5 or so fags a day for a few years. Used to make a mint at school selling them to others though. :D Stopped for a year or so, but then fell back into the habit at University and was soon on 20 a day, sometimes more, for quite some time.

I'm happy to say that I've been smoke free now for around 15 years now.

Associate
I tried a puff on fag about 6 months ago, nearly boaked. Had to buy gum and then scrub my tongue when I got home.

When I got told I didn't have cancer, I went out and bought some fags to celebrate, after 2 years of not smoking, they were bloody horrible.

Associate
Started at about 11/12 just purely because i liked to make hoops before i knew it i was 28 smoking 20-30 a day and i was bored of the ritual of shelling out stupid money so said I'm done tried vaping for a week was no use but still never been tempted to try a smoke since that's almost two years

Soldato
Thankfully neither my wife or myself have ever smoked and seeing my brother with end stage emphysema (a committed smoker for decades) I am so relieved that neither of us took up the habit.

Associate
An ex colleague that smoked for 20 years then gave up once told me "I will never be a non smoker, always an ex-smoker"
What he meant was that he felt he could have a smoke right now like he had never gave up in the first place and was still struggling to stay smoke free, obviously there are days when he forgets but on the whole it sounds awful.

Soldato
The tobacco industry has always denied that they advertise to children. And yet (And this thread more or less supports this) I have always believed that very few people start smoking as adults.

Almost all start as children.

The industry MUST market to children. They have to find 100,000 new customers a year to replace the ones that they kill!

(And that is just in the UK!)

Back
Top Bottom