Biking Do's & Don'ts

Soldato
I leave mine on when I pay for petrol. Nobodies ever said anything.

Yea, so do I.

I mean, when you pull the helmet up, and sit it so the bottom of it is just above your ears. It's stupid and silly. Hate it. Real pet hate of mine, when ever I see if, I feel like knocking it off.

Caporegime
OP
that's one of the reasons I bought a flip helmet,they would often come on the loud speaker telling me to take off my helmet so id just ride off

I couldn't fathom the pay at the pump meters at the time either,but now ive worked it out

Soldato
that's one of the reasons I bought a flip helmet,they would often come on the loud speaker telling me to take off my helmet so id just ride off

I couldn't fathom the pay at the pump meters at the time either,but now ive worked it out

I always expect them to do that, but I always fill even with my tinted visor down and they've never said anything.

It seems the whole no helmets thing is a bit more relaxed these days, round here at least.

Soldato
Yea, so do I.

I mean, when you pull the helmet up, and sit it so the bottom of it is just above your ears. It's stupid and silly. Hate it. Real pet hate of mine, when ever I see if, I feel like knocking it off.

It's simply a practical solution if you are asked to remove your helmet (I've been asked a few times over the tannoy) and there's no safe/clean place to put your helmet. I'd rather look stupid than dump my expensive helmet onto a filthy petrol pump, or hang it precariously on a mirror.

Soldato
Hook it through your arm?

Its as bad as balancing it on your seat or tank

Yep, one loose footing and you just dropped your £600 lid on the floor from a fair way up.

I don't think it's practical personally, and it being used as fashion by chavs on scooters. Looks silly.

I guess a DO would be to regularly maintain your chain. Vital component.

Man of Honour
Do anticipate some boob turning left just after a set of traffic lights to stop dead a full cars length over the stop line and centimeters from the turn when the lights are on amber because he saw a police car on the other side and flapped.
Then proceed to pull off a perfect emergency swerve.

Don't try and run your bike on fumes, one day it'll catch you out!

Associate
What? Don't talk BS, everyone had to do a CBT and 90% will be on L plates until they take a test, don't tar all riders with the same brush because you see the odd kid on a 125.
where i live that how it is... end of.
125's are slow noisy and are cheaply made and tend to feel like crap to ride hence attracting that kind

Soldato
Hook it through your arm?

Its as bad as balancing it on your seat or tank

Not a bad idea if I had girl sized arms, but my forearm won't go through the visor slot, so the helmet would just dangle around my wrist and stop me using my arm for anything.

I don't see how it's as bad as balancing it on a seat or tank. One nudge and your helmet is history, but with it wedged onto the top of my head it's going nowhere unless I want it to.

Just to add this isn't something I regularly do, if the petrol pump is clean and has a flat surface I'll put my helmet on that, but if the need arises it's by far the best way to keep it clean and safe. I certainly wouldn't walk into the shop to pay with it perched on my head though.

Yep, one loose footing and you just dropped your £600 lid on the floor from a fair way up.

No more likely than losing your footing whilst walking with a helmet on, and that would do similar damage. Irrespective, I'm only filling the tank, so rather unlikely to be loosing my footing.

I've never heard of being required to remove your helmet before fulling up before!

It used to be a fairly common requirement, but many petrol stations seem to have relaxed the rules on this now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom