Ties and suits in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
For interviews in most industries yes it is a big deal in this country. While I appreciate the financial position you are in, from the employers point of view they have no way of knowing that it is indeed your situation rather than lack of interest in the role (even if you tell them). In your situation I would be trying to get some non-jean trousers, a dress shirt and tie as cheaply as I could (charity shops, cheaper end chops, etc) even if a suit isn't attainable. At least that way you'll look like you're making an effort.

Jeans, informal checked shirt and white sneakers? Nope.

Just try to get these items as quickly as you can.

Soldato
Some of the replies here are just... GD all over :/

3 options to summarise RIMAX

1. charity shop for a very cheap (possibly free if you can tell your story) suit to go for those jobs you want

2. labourer or contract work at very entrance level job for a bit which don't require a suit at interview until you can afford a 50/60 quid suit from supermarket or similar (this is good especially as you will need increased income just to eat/bills etc)

3. Have a look at rainagul's kind offer and go for it. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28298857&postcount=39

I know several people who have been in your situation and have worked it out, so its not impossible. Good luck and welcome!

Soldato
Surley one can muster up for some trousers, shirt, tie, and if need be a suit, although I didn't wear a suit jacket to my last interview. Just shirt tie shoes trousers.

Suspended
Some of the replies here are just... GD all over :/

3 options to summarise RIMAX

1. charity shop for a very cheap (possibly free if you can tell your story) suit to go for those jobs you want

2. labourer or contract work at very entrance level job for a bit which don't require a suit at interview until you can afford a 50/60 quid suit from supermarket or similar (this is good especially as you will need increased income just to eat/bills etc)

3. Have a look at rainagul's kind offer and go for it. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28298857&postcount=39

I know several people who have been in your situation and have worked it out, so its not impossible. Good luck and welcome!

Trouble with labouring most jobs require a CSCS card nowadays to work on a site, which is more money which the OP doesn't have.

I suggest agency work and saving up, charity jobs, getting out there and trying your hardest.. also accept that blokes generous offer earlier.

Caporegime
Go stack shelves in Tesco or pack boxes in a warehouse. There's plenty of jobs that don't need a suit to get you on your feet.

Coming in here expecting some sort of sympathy because you seem to think that as a country "we" have an issue because you turn up to a professional interview in jeans is frankly pathetic. Nobody who lives in an EU country with free access to get into the UK can legitimately claim to not know that they would need a suit for an office job interview.

I think your just trying to make a point or something. It didn't work.

Associate
OP
grab every hour of overtime you can doing miserable back breaking jobs

Unfortunately my chronic asthma doesn't allow me to do heavy lifting, working in cold, damp or dusty places (and believe me, it is very cold here, I even got sick because of this already).

Go stack shelves in Tesco or pack boxes in a warehouse
I applied to probably dozens of jobs like that. No response.

Soldato
Disregard some of the replies, this forum has quite a few frustrated xenophobes who are ready to attack you just because you want to steal their jerbs and their women. Considering what you've shared so far, I assume you come from one of the poorer countries in Eastern Europe that is part of the EU.

Firstly, you are very unlikely to get a job in helpdesk support or web programming without presenting yourself properly in an interview, which includes a suit, among other things. This is not something specific to the UK, it's common in most advanced democracies.

Secondly, the fact that you arrived in the UK with nothing means you should not be seeking a job in a particular field, you should be seeking a job, period. Consider asking around in car washes, contruction sites, particularly if the owners are Eastern European, it shouldn't take long to find something. With your first pay check, get yourself a decent looking suit and look up tips regarding how to do well in interviews, CVs format etc. Be honest during the interviews (believe it or not, telling a recruiter you currently clean cars for a living sounds much better than telling them you do nothing) and put a lot of emphasis on what you can do.

Good luck!

Soldato
Trouble with labouring most jobs require a CSCS card nowadays to work on a site, which is more money which the OP doesn't have.

I suggest agency work and saving up, charity jobs, getting out there and trying your hardest.. also accept that blokes generous offer earlier.

Good point with the cards for sites, I was just using it as a catch all term for entry level work (farm, factory labourer etc) but you are right in regards to building work.

Soldato
I live not too far from Dudley. Anyone who's willing to move from another country to live in Dudley has my sympathy.

Given that you're interviewing around Dudley, I think the issue could be that you're over dressing. Try a bin bag, marinated in Aldi lager.

And I thought I was having a bad day.. Jesus.

Good luck dude!.

Man of Honour
Leave my country foreigner you are not welcome here and bring NOTHING to this great country. Right, I'm off to an Irish bar for some Guinness and then off the the local take away for a Indian.

Soldato
My attire for the interview for the job I have was my motorcycle gear, obviously sans helmet and gloves, as the person interviewing me had called me a few hours earlier saying don't worry about wearing anything else. Someone who had an interview last week, and got a job, was in cargo shorts and a tshirt. It is a motorcycle dealership though but it did surprise me when I was told don't worry about traditional interview clothing.

I know it's OT but it is the best work related move I've ever made, moving from a job I hated where I was managing up to 50 people, taking a paycut I could easily afford to get a job I enjoy a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom